Charlie Weis Offically Out...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Kelly isn't a "Southern Boy". I just don't think it fits. He'd be better for Michigan or PSU or something like that, but I can't see him at a Southern school.

I think he falls on his face if he goes to OU. That's my opinion only.

Stoops isn't either - grew up in Ohio, played at Iowa.

19Cy78

Mar 31, 2006
Bobby's statement...

Oklahoma: “I am going to be at Oklahoma next year,â€￾ say Bob Stoops.

Anyone hearing this on the radio...JoePa might stepdown at the end of the season?
If so KF dream job, but will he get it?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Gary Patterson to OU if Stoops goes to Notre Dame.

Why not Patterson to ND? It would be a step up for him and I really thinkND could benefit from his defensive philosophy as well as his overall philosophy for the game. I think he could do very well with the talent that is already at ND and also recruit the talent needed to bring the program back to where it should be.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mack Brown and the rest of the Big 12 south should be wetting their collective pants over this possibility...

One would think. I think that no matter what, OU gets a very good replacement for Stoops. I just see Patterson as MUCH more likely than Kelly due to his Texas recruiting connections, and more of a proven track record.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Why not Patterson to ND? It would be a step up for him and I really thinkND could benefit from his defensive philosophy as well as his overall philosophy for the game. I think he could do very well with the talent that is already at ND and also recruit the talent needed to bring the program back to where it should be.

I can't really give you a logical reason why, I just don't see that happening.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I can't really give you a logical reason why, I just don't see that happening.

I'm glad someone else has been looking at it from the "who goes to OU if Stoops leave" angle. I keep wating for some of the national talking heads to bring that up, but no dice so far.

Think about this though - if Notre Dame really wanted to go after a coach who knows what's it like to recruit to a place that might have stricter academic standards and is prestigous academically (like Notre Dame), then it'd be surprising if they didn't at least take a look at Pat Fitzgerald. Fitz has proven that he can win at a school not known for winning, and that doesn't have the facilites or money or talent that he'd be able to get at Notre Dame. That, and the fact that he's only 32 years old, they'd be stupid not to look at him.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'm glad someone else has been looking at it from the "who goes to OU if Stoops leave" angle. I keep wating for some of the national talking heads to bring that up, but no dice so far.

Think about this though - if Notre Dame really wanted to go after a coach who knows what's it like to recruit to a place that might have stricter academic standards and is prestigous academically (like Notre Dame), then it'd be surprising if they didn't at least take a look at Pat Fitzgerald. Fitz has proven that he can win at a school not known for winning, and that doesn't have the facilites or money or talent that he'd be able to get at Notre Dame. That, and the fact that he's only 32 years old, they'd be stupid not to look at him.

Northwestern has been as mediocre as Notre Dame, while playing an easier schedule. Just because he coaches st a school with strict academics and rountinely beats the Hawks, does not mean he would be even remotely successful at ND. You justwant NW to stop whoopin on the Hawks don't ya?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Northwestern has been as mediocre as Notre Dame, while playing an easier schedule. Just because he coaches st a school with strict academics and rountinely beats the Hawks, does not mean he would be even remotely successful at ND. You justwant NW to stop whoopin on the Hawks don't ya?

Hardly. The guy is a good coach, and NW has been a better team the Notre Dame over the last handful of years. Fitz has proven that he can "do more with less" with no fan support, no facilities, and a limited pool of recruits to pick from.

The guy is a good coach, and doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would let the pressure of high expectations weigh on him too much. That being said Notre Dame will go after the name, get no results, and be in this same position 4 or 5 years from now.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I've seen a few times that Fitz has no desire to ever leave NW. He's an alum, and an incredibly proud one at that. He's almost made it a point to stay there and build that program in order to stick it to other powerhouses that come by. He loves his alma mater, and is building his legacy there. I'd be REALLY surprised if they bought him off.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I've seen a few times that Fitz has no desire to ever leave NW. He's an alum, and an incredibly proud one at that. He's almost made it a point to stay there and build that program in order to stick it to other powerhouses that come by. He loves his alma mater, and is building his legacy there. I'd be REALLY surprised if they bought him off.

I would think anyone like Fitzgerald would eventually tire of putting solid football teams out on the field only to see the home stands half-full.
NW has awful fan support, in spite of the quality football they get. Fitzgerald would be receptive to offers in the future, IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would think anyone like Fitzgerald would eventually tire of putting solid football teams out on the field only to see the home stands half-full.
NW has awful fan support, in spite of the quality football they get. Fitzgerald would be receptive to offers in the future, IMO.

That's a good point. I know someone who undergradded at NW and played soccer there. She's said that the student support is terrible, because the average eggheaded NW student despises the school's athletic department completely. There's very much an anti-athletics attitude there.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Hardly. The guy is a good coach, and NW has been a better team the Notre Dame over the last handful of years. Fitz has proven that he can "do more with less" with no fan support, no facilities, and a limited pool of recruits to pick from.

The guy is a good coach, and doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would let the pressure of high expectations weigh on him too much. That being said Notre Dame will go after the name, get no results, and be in this same position 4 or 5 years from now.

Dont get me wrong, I think what he did last year and what he will probably do this year is pretty incredible. To take a team like NW to a bowl after they had been down for so long is fantastic. A better team? Hardly. While ND has dropped many embarassing games, I would most definitely not call Northwestern a better team.

Barely beating Eastern Michigan
Losing to Syracuse and Minnesota
Barely beating Indiana, Illinois and Miami of Ohio

Not too impressive to me. I think Pat Fitzgerald is a perfect fit for Northwestern but would be equivalent to Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Dont get me wrong, I think what he did last year and what he will probably do this year is pretty incredible. To take a team like NW to a bowl after they had been down for so long is fantastic. A better team? Hardly. While ND has dropped many embarassing games, I would most definitely not call Northwestern a better team.

Barely beating Eastern Michigan
Losing to Syracuse and Minnesota
Barely beating Indiana, Illinois and Miami of Ohio

Not too impressive to me. I think Pat Fitzgerald is a perfect fit for Northwestern but would be equivalent to Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame.

I disagree. With Notre Dame's facilities, recruiting advantages, national cache, etc..that he would do just fine. He can obviously get good players to come to Northwestern and play that brand of football, and he can obviously coach as evidenced by this year and last year. NW is a good team, and Fitz is a good coach, but there are a few things working against him at Northwestern which have all ready been alluded to. That would not be the case at Notre Dame.

Tyrone Williingham failed at Notre Dame because he was a bad coach. He could recruit, but he couldn't get his players to perform on the field. Weis was the same way. Fitz has proven (albeit over a short period of time) that he can do both.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Re: Bobby's statement...

Anyone hearing this on the radio...JoePa might stepdown at the end of the season?
If so KF dream job, but will he get it?

I think you're onto something here, but it has nothing to do with KF.

Here's what this means. Bowden has come out to say he's retiring to lull Joe Pa into feeling secure enough in his win total to call it quits. As soon as Joe Pa makes his retirement official ND is going to announce that Bowden will be the new coach of the Fighting Irish. Bowden after dropping numbers off his win total for the cheating sanctions needs a power play like this to catch up to Joe Pa. Come next fall Bowden starts tallying up his win tally in South Bend. :jimlad: