Check out this AMAZING Cyclone "tornado" logo concept

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I don't normally do this, but fellow CF member amestoplease unveiled a killer update to the beloved/reviled '80s Cyclone logo in the morass of the other uniform thread. Since I was afraid it would get overlooked, I decided to highlight it here. The I-STATE logo is a decent standard athletic logo, but for a school with such a killer nickname, the identity package sure is a snoozer.

Fear not, amestoplease has come to the rescue.

I want to emphasize, this concept is entirely theirs. By refreshing it, it removes the stigmata of the '80s, while still remaining true to the overall evolution and heritage of Cyclone history. Since amestoplease does this kind of stuff for a living, the Athletic Department should run to hire them to slot this right into the current identity package. Along with the sedate I-STATE logo and CY logo, this Cyclone logo finally finishes off the current look.

attachment.php

Look closely--nearly every line was changed to a more curvy, swirling look, rather than the semi-blocky '80s look. Also note how they included a 2/4 color version of the Cyclone, which can easily be converted into a solid color version. I took the liberty of pairing up each version with the similar I-STATE logo below. Also note how the colors they chose are slightly less "clownish" than the current colors. As a matter of fact, that gold is closer to Jack Trice's jersey color, which can't be a bad thing either:

attachment.php

This is an absolutely fantastic logo update/addition and an instant classic.

Now, if only Cy could be fixed as well ...

Attachments

• isu_concept_1.jpg
    isu_concept_1.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 8,046
  • Cyclone-logo-concept.jpg
    Cyclone-logo-concept.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4,655

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Always been my favorite logo, my parents looked everywhere to find me a sweatshirt with the original on it for Christmas and it instantly became my favorite article of clothing.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have a hockey jersey with that tornado logo.

Back in the day ISU wasn't afraid to rock about 50 different logos. That's just how we rolled

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I love the tornado logo. I know a guy with a old school tornado jacket that he found at goodwill, insanely jealous.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I would love an updated/modern tornado logo. But not that one. Looks more like a lilly than a tornado. A tornado should look menacing; not "curvy".

PS edit- the CF logo is much more menacing and along the lines of what I'd prefer. But not sure why we'd want to incorporate "C" and "F" into the school logo.

Last edited:

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Love it. Can it please replace the cheap looking, absolutely no connection to our school history or tradition logo we have now? Like yesterday?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I like it. It would make a great secondary marking. Though for me, you'll never top walking Cy as a primary mark.

ev1qtKo.jpg

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Guess I will be in the minority...of all the ISU logos, I just never liked this one. Like TXCyclones said, it just doesn't convey the fierceness of a tornado. It looks weak and passive. If ISU does want a secondary tornado logo, develop one that has a little bite and snarl to it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why are the trend setters in design like Apple going to flat designs yet every new sports logo is heavy in anamorphic elements? I much prefer the flat looks.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Guess I will be in the minority...of all the ISU logos, I just never liked this one. Like TXCyclones said, it just doesn't convey the fierceness of a tornado. It looks weak and passive. If ISU does want a secondary tornado logo, develop one that has a little bite and snarl to it.

Would putting a snarling bird head with a muscular punching arm on top of a tornado give it some bite and snarl?

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Never liked the tornado logo or the DMac Cy-nado. I think our current logo has a classic collegiate look. Although, I do like the walking Cy quite a bit as well.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I guess I'm with you, jbh. Put that logo in front of someone with no association to the Cyclones and they have no clue what it is supossed to be. Definitely not something you want to encourage in logos.