Chicago Bears bought Arlington Heights track only to build next to Soldier Field?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought the proposed stadium wasn't going to have super-sized capacity, something 70ish.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
To add to this, isn't the Chicago Bears the only thing the McCaskey family owns? So if they want to grow their wealth, an entertainment complex would be one way to do that.
Yeah Virginia is George halas daughter

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Ugh! If they move to Arlington Heights, they need to become the Arlington Heights Bears or the Illinois Bears, because they will no longer be the CHICAGO Bears.

Like the Arlington Cowboys, Inglewood Rams, East Rutherford NJ Jets and Giants, Santa Clara 49ers....

This is a great move for the Bears and the Chi-CAW-go area.

A world class stadium and room to develop the area around it. This is a complete win for the Bears.

If TV wants those downtown views then buy a blimp.

Burn in hell Soldier Field

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ugh! If they move to Arlington Heights, they need to become the Arlington Heights Bears or the Illinois Bears, because they will no longer be the CHICAGO Bears.
Have you seen where the San Francisco 49ers play?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
this would be the perfect time to sell given all the wealth creation the last 18 months for the super rich. I bet someone would pay $6-8B for the bears and then build a new stadium and it'd be one of the most valuable franchises in all of sports.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They don't have to be the Arlington Heights Bears but I could definitely see the Arlington Heights Jaguars although that's a pretty awkward name.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Like the Arlington Cowboys, Inglewood Rams, East Rutherford NJ Jets and Giants, Santa Clara 49ers....

This is a great move for the Bears and the Chi-CAW-go area.

A world class stadium and room to develop the area around it. This is a complete win for the Bears.

If TV wants those downtown views then buy a blimp.

Burn in hell Soldier Field
Suburban stadiums are not good. Redoing Solider Field somehow needs to be done and it frankly needs to be done somewhere else than the current site but putting it way out in the Suburbs is a bad idea.

I’m a big proponent of suburban living, because that’s what I prefer, and when we go to Chicago we stay out by Arlington Heights so this would be easier to get to for us. That said this would not work well on the whole. That area is the epitome of bad civil design. There is no connection to the CTA and you have to get a bunch of people out there for events. Wrigley works because it is still in an Urban are connected to everything. The United Center sucks though because it doesn’t connect well to the CTA and it doesn’t have the area around it built up. Moving to Arlington by ton Heights would be more like the United Center than Wrigley.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Suburban stadiums are not good. Redoing Solider Field somehow needs to be done and it frankly needs to be done somewhere else than the current site but putting it way out in the Suburbs is a bad idea.

I’m a big proponent of suburban living, because that’s what I prefer, and when we go to Chicago we stay out by Arlington Heights so this would be easier to get to for us. That said this would not work well on the whole. That area is the epitome of bad civil design. There is no connection to the CTA and you have to get a bunch of people out there for events. Wrigley works because it is still in an Urban are connected to everything. The United Center sucks though because it doesn’t connect well to the CTA and it doesn’t have the area around it built up. Moving to Arlington by ton Heights would be more like the United Center than Wrigley.

Wrigley Field is a ******* nightmare to get to. Parking is an expensive joke and the neighborhood has been transformed into a Ricketts family playground.

For the Bears they will have a world class stadium that they own. It can be used for year round events and help support additional development in the area.

From a Bears perspective it's a complete win. Soldier Field is a dump. It's not easy to get to. They don't own it and they have to play around with the Chicago Parks District who can't seem to figure out how to even keep a decent playing surface.

Soldier Field is not an NFL level stadium and maybe it never was.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

Downtown baseball/basketball and suburban football seems to be the way many are going. KC is going to be moving Kauffmann downtown, but keep Arrowhead out there. This allows for day game walk up, corporate connections throughout the summer, and the Sunday travel, destination event of NFL games.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Downtown baseball/basketball and suburban football seems to be the way many are going. KC is going to be moving Kauffmann downtown, but keep Arrowhead out there. This allows for day game walk up, corporate connections throughout the summer, and the Sunday travel, destination event of NFL games.
My concern is KC would be going from the greatest parking lot in sports to downtown with almost no parking, correct?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Everyone that lives in a Chicago suburb is from Chicago, just ask them.

Of course, because if I said I was from La Fox,the response would be “Where’s that?” Chicago is a good enough idea.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like a great opportunity for the University of Chicago to get back into football! Nice vacant stadium just up Lake Shore Drive.

Seriously, what a blow for the City of Chicago! I can hardly imagine downtown without the Bears.

FYI, if I'm not mistaken Allegient Stadium (and the Strip) are not technically in the City of Las Vegas. I think I read something about it being in an "unincorporated township" called "Paradise" in order to prevent annexation by the city. Means that a ton of control and money stays in the hands of the property owners. Not unlike Disney in Florida with "Celebration."

Arlington Heights is not quite the same, but the "anti-city" sentiment is definitely there. NFL franchises and stadiums are playing a high stakes game.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm