Chicago Bears bought Arlington Heights track only to build next to Soldier Field?

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Opinions are opinions and I get it - but there’s a reason why people travel to go see Wrigley and Fenway and Yankee stadium opposed to Kaufman stadium in KC just surrounded by a whole lot of concrete parking lots. IMO I like to have something in the center of town that I can take transit to and have a good time before/after and not just hop back in a car and wait in traffic
Personally, I think that's a huge part of the difference between baseball and football gameday experiences.

There are so many baseball games per year (way too many, IMO, but that's another conversation) that it can just be a portion of your day. It's somewhat rare for it to have the whole day dedicated to it, so it's nice to have a bunch of other things to do nearby.

When you go to an NFL game it is THE thing you're doing that day. Being able to get in/out easily while having plenty of space to tailgate and party all day is key. That's a huge part of the appeal. A grouping of bars nearby can certainly add to the experience, but otherwise give the people space to tailgate.

That's why Kaufman SHOULD be moved downtown, but Arrowhead SHOULD remain out in the boonies.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Personally, I think that's a huge part of the difference between baseball and football gameday experiences.

There are so many baseball games per year (way too many, IMO, but that's another conversation) that it can just be a portion of your day. It's somewhat rare for it to have the whole day dedicated to it, so it's nice to have a bunch of other things to do nearby.

When you go to an NFL game it is THE thing you're doing that day. Being able to get in/out easily while having plenty of space to tailgate and party all day is key. That's a huge part of the appeal. A grouping of bars nearby can certainly add to the experience, but otherwise give the people space to tailgate.

That's why Kaufman SHOULD be moved downtown, but Arrowhead SHOULD remain out in the boonies.

I read somewhere that baseball stadiums are much more a part of the action. Baseball is slow. The look, feel, and stadium amenities are meshed with the game experience.

Football isn't as leisurely. The stadium isn't as much on a person's mind.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I agree, but that would require the city to spend money on infrastructure. The city of Chicago just rakes in the cash via tourism, high taxes, red light and speed camera and parking tickets, now weed, now gambling. But it always amazes me going to the airport and travelling on the public transportation how far Chicago is behind most other major cities. Where is all that money going?
It's Chicago!!! Lots of palms to grease............ politicians, union leaders, mobsters, cops, etc.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I read somewhere that baseball stadiums are much more a part of the action. Baseball is slow. The look, feel, and stadium amenities are meshed with the game experience.

Football isn't as leisurely. The stadium isn't as much on a person's mind.
Can confirm. When going to Twins games we'd buy the cheapest tickets we can find, never visit our seats, and bar hop the different watering holes inside Target Field. It's a fun way to spice it up and see the game from different vantage points.

Reactions: tinsley

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Video & Photos of the renderings of the new stadium:

Last edited:

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016

Why anyone would want Arlington heights over the lakefront baffles me. Imagine a Super Bowl right downtown Chicago on the lakefront. These plans are amazing IMO. Miles better than a stadium surrounded by miles of parking lot 20miles out of the city

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Reminds me of Allegiant stadium look.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL

The stadium itself looks to be a copy+paste of Allegiant (Vegas). I like the idea to try and keep some of the historic remnants of old Soldier, though I can imagine that the open field area is going to somewhat restricted during large events with corporations reserving the spaces.

Also, other than an apparent parking structure between the new stadium and the McCormick Center, there doesn't appear to be anything addressing transport issues. That is an oversite in my mind, unless the city plans to have their own project to go alongside the stadium work.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Squeezing every last ounce out of those 85 Bears and use of the word "synergies"

Almost worth it just to destroy that Soldier Field renovation. A horrible idea from the jump.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
So the idea would be to rip out the stadium part of Soldier Field, including the spaceship inserted on top, but leave the old classic colonnades on each side?
Yes keep the colonnades tear down the stadium and use that for green space to hopefully keep the parks people off their a$$.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm and State2015

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
So the idea would be to rip out the stadium part of Soldier Field, including the spaceship inserted on top, but leave the old classic colonnades on each side?
Yeah, keep as much of the old facade that is still in tact. I will be interested what they intend for the rooms beneath the colonades. The renders make it look like they could try to make them shops or something, but I don't know how much commercial business would work there.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I can't watch the press conference...did anyone ask if Arlington Heights is out of the question at this point? I mean...nice drawings and all...but the Bears OWN that land in AH (still are some obstacles to building there though)...what changed? Why don't they want to build there anymore? The bottom line benefits the Bears in AH more than it does on the lake front...unless they feel the tax payers will front a lot more of the cash? I just get the feeling this is a ploy to get AH to give the Bears even more than they offered...

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I hope they keep the "STADIUM" signage

Reminds me of how it took several years for Jack Trice to get named. Maybe I should bump that thread again

Reactions: wxman1

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Governor and State Politicians already poo-pooing the plan. Bears will be fortunate to have a new Stadium by 2035 with the way Illinois politics works (a.k.a."what's in it for me?" $$$)

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Governor and State Politicians already poo-pooing the plan. Bears will be fortunate to have a new Stadium by 2035 with the way Illinois politics works (a.k.a."what's in it for me?" $$$)
The governor was at an unrelated event and didn't even see the presentation yet when asked.

The governor has been clear from the very beginning about being skeptical and that there are other needs in the state besides a new stadium. Compared to the renovations where the Bears did 10%, NFL 10%, and the State/City doing 80%, this is a lot more palatable.