MLB: ***Chicago Cubs 2015 Season***

Copley305

Apr 10, 2006
You are worried about a 31 pitcher with a lot of mileage on his arm (Price) and you want to trade a ton of talent for a 2 guys who have both already had major arm injuries and Carrasco was shelved this year with a shoulder issue.

Ask yourself this... Why is Cleveland actively looking to trade a 25 year old with "decent upside" and a 28 year old they just signed to an incredibly team friendly 4 year (+ 2 option years) deal this past spring?

I didn't know Cleveland was actively looking to trade them. I was just speculating. If they are actively shopping, I still say get them, but at a lower cost if Cleveland gets desperate.

And Tyson Ross will be more expensive than either of the CLE guys. Theo was uncomfortable pulling the trigger on Ross at this year's deadline, and I doubt SD's asking price will go down just because they lose a lot in FA.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I didn't know Cleveland was actively looking to trade them. I was just speculating. If they are actively shopping, I still say get them, but at a lower cost if Cleveland gets desperate.

And Tyson Ross will be more expensive than either of the CLE guys. Theo was uncomfortable pulling the trigger on Ross at this year's deadline, and I doubt SD's asking price will go down just because they lose a lot in FA.

Both were being actively shopped at the deadline and a week or so ago it fired up again. Also no chance Cleveland gets desperate because they don't have to trade them.

Copley305

Apr 10, 2006
Both were being actively shopped at the deadline and a week or so ago it fired up again. Also no chance Cleveland gets desperate because they don't have to trade them.

Got it. I knew Carrasco was being shopped at the deadline, but didn't know talks had fired up again. Also didn't hear that Salazar was on the block as well. That honestly does make me a little more nervous / hesitant, but I still think both should be on the Cubs' radar.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Bruce Levine reporting Cubs are more interested in trading for an ace instead of getting one off the market.

Actually not an awful idea, as an ace will likely be cheaper in value via trade than FA because of how phenomonal FA is. If a team wants to trade their ace from youngsters, it'll be difficult considering most teams will be watching FA before trading.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Bruce Levine reporting Cubs are more interested in trading for an ace instead of getting one off the market.

Actually not an awful idea, as an ace will likely be cheaper in value via trade than FA because of how phenomonal FA is. If a team wants to trade their ace from youngsters, it'll be difficult considering most teams will be watching FA before trading.

well that depends on who they get and how much they have to give up. Not even sure what elite pitcher is available via trade. Maybe Matt Harvey.

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames

I wonder if we could swing something with Oakland to get Sonny Gray, lately Billy Beane has been pretty against it. But i dont think many people would have thought that he would have traded Donaldson last year, or that Russell would have been available when we got him.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
well that depends on who they get and how much they have to give up. Not even sure what elite pitcher is available via trade. Maybe Matt Harvey.

I was told of a rumor that Strasburg could be had in a trade, as well. We'll see what the Cubs are thinking soon enough. I still lean toward getting an ace in FA, because while it'll be a lot of money, that's all it costs. Getting an ace in a trade is going to have a steep cost in young talent (not to mention that an ace is also going to come with a fat contract, although not as large as a FA one).

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Well the have the offensive depth to do that..

Good GM's build lots of farm depth, and then when it is time to make that run you trade some of that depth to get you the 1 or 2 pieces that help put you over the top.

Still would be smart to take a run at Greinke, though Dodger stadium is pretty pitcher friendly so maybe Greinke's numbers were helped a bit by that.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Well the have the offensive depth to do that..

Good GM's build lots of farm depth, and then when it is time to make that run you trade some of that depth to get you the 1 or 2 pieces that help put you over the top.

Still would be smart to take a run at Greinke, though Dodger stadium is pretty pitcher friendly so maybe Greinke's numbers were helped a bit by that.

They were, but he had like a 1.88 ERA on the road, too. It was something like 1.42 at Dodger Stadium.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Indians have three absolute stud outfielders that'll be taking over there outfield within the next two years.

I could see something like...

Indians give up
Michael Brantley
Danny Salazar

Cubs give up
Javier Baez (moved to 3B)
Dan Vogelbach (Considered MLB ready)
Wilson Conteraras (Catcher, ready in 2 years)
Christian Villanueva (1B/3B, which they need)

However, my guess is that the Cubs try and find a team that needs OFs, as 6 of the Cubs top 10 players are in the OF and thats not including Soler or Schwarber.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Indians have three absolute stud outfielders that'll be taking over there outfield within the next two years.

I could see something like...

Indians give up
Michael Brantley
Danny Salazar

Cubs give up
Javier Baez (moved to 3B)
Dan Vogelbach (Considered MLB ready)
Wilson Conteraras (Catcher, ready in 2 years)
Christian Villanueva (1B/3B, which they need)

However, my guess is that the Cubs try and find a team that needs OFs, as 6 of the Cubs top 10 players are in the OF and thats not including Soler or Schwarber.

Indians would be getting the short end of the stick in that deal.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Great year, super over-achievement to make it to the NLCS, it was super fun to watch each and every game along the way..... The sweep versus the Mets was very aggravating for me, mostly because I have friends who are Mets fans and in the end out pain points were the areas that were our strengths all year (playing small ball when it counted and pitching).... Bats went cold and Starting pitching had its rough points in that series. Hope we can add some big pieces of the off-season to make this even more of a dynasty I we need to get over this loveable loser stuff.....
Thought this was interesting move too....
http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-loui...utbid-the-st-louis-cardinals-on-jason-heyward

I like this move but question where the lead off is in the rest of the lineup....

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Great year, super over-achievement to make it to the NLCS, it was super fun to watch each and every game along the way..... The sweep versus the Mets was very aggravating for me, mostly because I have friends who are Mets fans and in the end out pain points were the areas that were our strengths all year (playing small ball when it counted and pitching).... Bats went cold and Starting pitching had its rough points in that series. Hope we can add some big pieces of the off-season to make this even more of a dynasty I we need to get over this loveable loser stuff.....
Thought this was interesting move too....
http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-loui...utbid-the-st-louis-cardinals-on-jason-heyward

I like this move but question where the lead off is in the rest of the lineup....

Depending on how he progresses, Russell could be a fit in the leadoff spot. Heyward would have to take Castro's 5 spot in the order, which could free up either Castro or Baez (depending on whether one of them is traded) to move into the 9 hole. Russell is a better fit in the 9 spot than either of them, but he'd also probably be the best leadoff option if Fowler is replaced with Heyward.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Depending on how he progresses, Russell could be a fit in the leadoff spot. Heyward would have to take Castro's 5 spot in the order, which could free up either Castro or Baez (depending on whether one of them is traded) to move into the 9 hole. Russell is a better fit in the 9 spot than either of them, but he'd also probably be the best leadoff option if Fowler is replaced with Heyward.

I think it might be time to end the pitcher hitting 8th experiment. I understand why he did it since Russell was a rookie and they didn't want him batting with the pitcher behind him but the 9 spot is an awful place to put Baez and there's nobody else who is both good enough to be in the every day lineup and also in a similar situation that Russell was in last year.

Batting Baez 9th might be the dumbest thing Maddon could do because he'd be an awful "second leadoff" hitter and you're wasting his biggest asset, which is his power. Baez needs to bat 6th/7th.

The ideal lineup is the best OBP guy leading off. Speed doesn't matter, i don't want anyone trying to steal in front of Schwarber(2nd), Bryant(3rd), & Rizzo(4th) anyway. 5&6 depends on who is still on the team next year but if we assume castro is traded, Russell bats 5th, Soler 6th, and Baez 7th. Montero finishes things off at 8th.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Was just about to post this. If Soler's good, he's not going to stay cheap.

Yes, this is true. If he ends up being worth more in arbitration then why are we talking about trading him? Soler is a high upside/low risk player and it would take a massive haul to trade him away IMO.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yes, this is true. If he ends up being worth more in arbitration then why are we talking about trading him? Soler is a high upside/low risk player and it would take a massive haul to trade him away IMO.

Because the Cubs have an abundance of position player talent and a lack of starting pitching depth, and to get something valuable in a trade, you normally have to give up something of value as well.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
The Mets and Cubs continue to appear to be ideal trade partners. It will be interesting how much they want or are willing to work with each other.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Because the Cubs have an abundance of position player talent and a lack of starting pitching depth, and to get something valuable in a trade, you normally have to give up something of value as well.

My point is that pitching doesn't need to be traded for. Pitching can be bought in the off-season. If your position players are cost controlled (which they are right now) then you can afford to take on some inflated contracts without giving up young talent. If you trade young cost controlled hitters for pitchers with big contracts you are giving up both talent and money.

The Cubs have enough prospect depth in the minors that they don't need to trade away a cost controlled player that has proven he can handle his own in the big leagues.

As far as position player depth, yes there is an abundance but not necessarily in the OF. If you move a Bryant or Baez to the OF their value diminishes IMO.

Help Support Us

Become a patron