Chicago sports bars

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I need a sportsbar to hang out and watch basketball at on Saturday around the magnificent mile and the river. I would prefer lots of tvs and good drinks

Any recs? Thanks

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Like the poster above me said, the area around the Mag Mile and River are going to be insane this Saturday.

If you don't mind getting an Uber and going away from downtown a mile or two, the crowds might be smaller. Madison St has a handful of nice Sports bars between downtown and the United Center. WestEnd bar and The Crossroads bar are nice and big, have a lot of TV's and good beer selection/food. If I remember right, the WestEnd was one of the pregame bars for ISU fans when we played Virginia at the UC.
Tilted Kilt and Public House are a couple sports bars that are closer to the Mag Mile/River area, but will probably be pretty packed this Saturday.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I need a sportsbar to hang out and watch basketball at on Saturday around the magnificent mile and the river. I would prefer lots of tvs and good drinks

Any recs? Thanks

http://www.motherhubbardschicago.com/

Mother Hubbard's on Hubbard St. In the Loop. Fun place. Not a new shiny sports pub---more old school

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBride and JP4CY

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Gonna be in Chicago this weekend- wife has always wanted to do Paddy’s Day in Chicago- so I finally gave in. We are staying out by ohare airport. What would be the best way to get downtown? I’m guessing Uber/Lyft? What would the cost be?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Gonna be in Chicago this weekend- wife has always wanted to do Paddy’s Day in Chicago- so I finally gave in. We are staying out by ohare airport. What would be the best way to get downtown? I’m guessing Uber/Lyft? What would the cost be?
I assume by “Paddy’s Day in Chicago” you mean starting out with the river dying and parade. Do yourself a favor and take the L - Blue Line from O’Hare takes about 35 - 40 min and is $5/ person ($2.50 from any other stop). Take a cab from your hotel to the closest blue line station. The Lake St stop is about 2 blocks from the river and 5-6 to the parade route. An Uber’s going to run $30 - $35 for non surge pricing and will probably take 1hr +. You’ve got to remember, a couple hundred thousand people are converging in the same area and a disturbing number think it’s a good idea to drive in. By all means, take an Uber on the way back to O’Hare, though.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Many hotels near the airport have a free shuttle to the airport, which then you can get on the blue line "L", which will take you directly to downtown. I've also stayed "near the airport", which were hotels in a very short walking distance from either the Rosemont or Cumberland blue line stations. Those worked even better if your hotel is near one of them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Hop on the L and take the blue line straight into downtown.

Edit: laminak beat me to it.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Many hotels near the airport have a free shuttle to the airport, which then you can get on the blue line "L", which will take you directly to downtown. I've also stayed "near the airport", which were hotels in a very short walking distance from either the Rosemont or Cumberland blue line stations. Those worked even better if your hotel is near one of them.
Looks like we could drive to the Cumberland stop and ride in from there.
We pretty much have things planned out for the day but Incase we have missed anything is there any must do’s for st paddy’s day? We are doing the parade and boat ride on river and bar hopping.... that night it is the Bulls/Cavaliers basketball game....

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
We pretty much have things planned out for the day but Incase we have missed anything is there any must do’s for st paddy’s day? We are doing the parade and boat ride on river and bar hopping.... that night it is the Bulls/Cavaliers basketball game....
Not sure if you mean drive your own car and park or not - but don’t assume a)parking is free or b) you can park for more than 3 Hours or c) any available parking isn’t already full from there doing the exact same thing. If you’ve got a spot figured out, fee free to ignore this advice, but don’t wing it. I’d strongly recommend a cab to the L.

Hit up Portillo’s for an Italian beef. There’s several locations around the area, so it’s not a day-of necessity, but do it while you’re here. Skip Navy Pier unless you have kids. The John Hancock Signature Room is the way to go if you want a skyline view. The drinks are overpriced, but it’s cheaper than tickets to the Sears (Willis) Tower and you get a drink!

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

If you're not in walking distance to that stop, I'd check to see if your hotel has shuttle rides to the airport and jump on the blue line there. Most hotels in that area have some sort of free shuttle to (and from) the airport.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

Perfect. Cumberland has a nice big parking lot that is pretty cheap. L will get you where you want to go as already noted. Have fun, and prepare yourself to see an insane amount of drunk people, very early in the day. On a level greater than an 11 o'clock kick-off in Ames.

Paddy's day is always big in Chicago, but when it falls on a Saturday, it is crazy. Like I said it is fun, but you should be prepared to see a level of drunk you haven't seen before.

• Winner
Reactions: cyinne

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron