Chizik Still Thinks QBs Even

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
For all the debate about what we did or did not learn about this football team in Vegas last weekend, it seemed many on this board agreed that Arnaud earned the starting spot leading the second half comeback. According to Chizik, the competition may not be over yet.

ISU Football: Chizik still thinks quarterbacks even | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

How would everyone feel if we were still rotating QBs in the Kansas game? I really feel that Arnaud has earned the spot, and that by settling on him as a starter it will be easier for our offense to find some much needed consistancy.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I was sort of baffled by that article as well......Arnaud is clearly the leader/better qb at this time to me.

That being said...I trust the coach.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I highly doubt Chizik is going to show his hand to reporters. Plus by saying it's still a competition it keeps them both working hard every week including bye weeks.

I bet if you counted up the number of drives each guy had in the last two weeks you might believe the coaches are leaning toward Arnaud.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Chizik always plays things close to the vest with regards to injuries - not sure why depth chart would be any different.

Considering the very different ways in which these two have been used/produced on the field, might as well make Kansas worry about as much as possible.

Arnaud has been on the field during key moments, especially when we need to throw the ball. He's started every game. I think it's clear he's our guy, but I still don't mind the idea of Bates getting a few series a game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Methinks it's mostly to keep AA motivated - not get complacent and keep Bates involved somehow until they can officially go to AA and see if Bates will/can make a switch.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
If nothing else it requires KU to spend ample time on film of Bates. Just more busy work for the coordinators.

For all we know, the QB battle is over and Arnaud gets all the snaps(not saying this is true) and it wastes the kansas coaches time. a ploy of sorts.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
I was sort of baffled by that article as well......Arnaud is clearly the leader/better qb at this time to me.

That being said...I trust the coach.

In my opinion Bates is not getting enough reps to show his ability, too good of a athletic to keep on off the field

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
In my opinion Bates is not getting enough reps to show his ability, too good of a athletic to keep on off the field

I agree, I think Bates has the ability to do some amazing things. he just needs enough playing time on the field to feel comfortable.

I say still rotate them. If the coaches would take the handcuffs off the offense the last two games in the first half and let the kids run the spread we wouldn't have this debate about rotating QBs because ISU should be 4-0 right now.

Reactions: isuforlife

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If nothing else it requires KU to spend ample time on film of Bates. Just more busy work for the coordinators.

For all we know, the QB battle is over and Arnaud gets all the snaps(not saying this is true) and it wastes the kansas coaches time. a ploy of sorts.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Bates will see some situational time to keep opposing coaches honset, so to speak, throughout the year. I still want to see some Wild Hog, lol

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . How would everyone feel if we were still rotating QBs in the Kansas game?

Fine.

If I were to say I were not fine with it, I would be saying that I know better than the ISU coaches. That would be an absurdity. So, I say I'm fine with the QB rotation, if that's what the coaches choose to do. My football expertise when compared with the ISU coaches expertise is as an ant hill to a mountain.

I don't see any way around this conclusion: If one doesn't like what the coaches choose to do tactically and strategically, one is saying, implicitly, that he knows better than the coaches.

If a fan here believes he knows better than the coaches, so be it. I'm one fan here who won't be so foolish to claim such a nonsensical thing, however.

I really feel that Arnaud has earned the spot, and that by settling on him as a starter it will be easier for our offense to find some much needed consistancy.

The coaches, apparently, disagree with you. Does that not make you wary?

Although, hasn't Austen started every game this fall? And, isn't he now getting the vast majority of snaps? Isn't Austen, then, the de facto top dog at quarterback?

Looks like we do have a No. 1 signal-caller, and the rest is semantics.

Whatever the coaches want to call it and however they want to play it, fine with me.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I agree with alot of points here and I don't think GC wants PB to lose any face either. If GC sees it's time to move PB, I think it will hit the press and PB's idea becuase that is where he can best help the team and produce.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't see any way around this conclusion: If one doesn't like what the coaches choose to do tactically and strategically, one is saying, implicitly, that he knows better than the coaches.

If a fan here believes he knows better than the coaches, so be it. I'm one fan here who won't be so foolish to claim such a nonsensical thing, however.
\

Well now. So a Nebraska fan who disagreed with any of Bill Callahan's decisions was foolish? A Texas A & M fan who ever questioned Coach Fran? How about second-guessing any of Coach Mac's decisions in the past? No one should have done that - it would be nonsensical. After all they were were all coaches, and therefore knew better than any of the fans.

Reactions: isuforlife

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fine.

If I were to say I were not fine with it, I would be saying that I know better than the ISU coaches. That would be an absurdity. So, I say I'm fine with the QB rotation, if that's what the coaches choose to do. My football expertise when compared with the ISU coaches expertise is as an ant hill to a mountain.

The coaches, apparently, disagree with you. Does that not make you wary?

Although, hasn't Austen started every game this fall? And, isn't he now getting the vast majority of snaps? Isn't Austen, then, the de facto top dog at quarterback?

Looks like we do have a No. 1 signal-caller, and the rest is semantics.

Whatever the coaches want to call it and however they want to play it, fine with me.

Can we please abolish the 'I agree with the coaches, therefore I am right' argument? Of course the coaches know more than anyone here. That is still weak. If you think they are right, discuss why. Siting the fact that they are the coaches as reasoning for your point of view, is simply a weak argument.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Can we please abolish the 'I agree with the coaches, therefore I am right' argument? Of course the coaches know more than anyone here. That is still a weak. If you think they are right, discuss why. Siting the fact that they are the coaches as reasoning for your point of view, is simply a weak argument.

Some people are just too afraid to have their own opinion... It's a message board, it's ok to have a spine...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think it's time to settle on one QB. We can't keep switching QBs every time one makes a minor mistake. We can't build confidence or momentum by doing so. For example - last week. We stuck with Arnaud and we made a furious comeback.

Guess what? Arnaud's more ready to play and Bates isn't. It was fine to rotate during the first 4 games. Now we're getting into the teeth of the schedule. We need to have our best players out there - not still trying to get a feel as to who our best players are.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think it's time to settle on one QB. We can't keep switching QBs every time one makes a minor mistake. We can't build confidence or momentum by doing so. For example - last week. We stuck with Arnaud and we made a furious comeback.

Guess what? Arnaud's more ready to play and Bates isn't. It was fine to rotate during the first 4 games. Now we're getting into the teeth of the schedule. We need to have our best players out there - not still trying to get a feel as to who our best players are.

Good points. I agree he needs to pick one and run with it.

Him saying this makes me wonder about him as a coach. :biglaugh: j/k