Christmas lights

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’ve bought a lot of Christmas lights in the last few years for outdoor use and I can’t seem to get any of them to last more than a season or two. Anybody have a recommendation for a brand of C7 or C9 lights?

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I bought mine on line through commercial Christmas business and the lights are screw in. I bought the 250 foot reel and we made the lengths that we needed. Google Christmas Design

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Get a Light Keeper Pro. The thing works miracles with lighting problems.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I've had much more luck with LED lights. That's what I use on the house now because they're difficult to replace. I still am not convinced the price justifies the electricity savings.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I bought mine on line through commercial Christmas business and the lights are screw in. I bought the 250 foot reel and we made the lengths that we needed. Google Christmas Design

How do the reels work? I don’t know how to make the custom lengths but I’d love to do that.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
We had lights in a 3 season porch, never moved and 2 six foot lengths quit working for no reason. Those Chinese have this **** figured out somehow.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
It came on a reel and was easy to work with. I got 250 feet and a dozen plugs. So easy

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN

Do you happen to have a link to the site you bought from? Googling "Christmas Design" just brings up a bunch of Pinterest links for me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I’ve bought a lot of Christmas lights in the last few years for outdoor use and I can’t seem to get any of them to last more than a season or two. Anybody have a recommendation for a brand of C7 or C9 lights?

If I was a Christmas light hanging kind of a guy (I'm not), I'd get some of the LED display gadgets that project onto the house.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I noticed when shopping around this year that most of the LED reels have anywhere from 3-7 year warranty's on them depending on brand. I think the GE C6's I got for outside were 5 year. Just have to keep the receipts.

Side note: I'm getting C9's next time. I spend 5 hours on the roof of the new house putting up the C6's. It took something like 650 roof/gutter clips. I can't stand crooked lights on the house.

Edit - Side side note. These gutter clips from Menards were awesome. Easy to use and didn't break a single one while installing. Make sure they are the ones in the 75 pack, not the 100 pack.

https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...ingle-light-clips-75-pack/p-1444421258306.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkplug

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Pardon me while I rant......but I think every man in America should get a baseball bat and 5 minutes alone with the the person who invented Xmas lights. Let's celebrate the Holidays by taking cheap Chinese made products and try to fasten them to our house which has no logical place to put them. Oh yea, let's throw electricity into the equation and do this during the cold/wet time of the year. Merry @#$#%$%^ Christmas.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Pardon me while I rant......but I think every man in America should get a baseball bat and 5 minutes alone with the the person who invented Xmas lights. Let's celebrate the Holidays by taking cheap Chinese made products and try to fasten them to our house which has no logical place to put them. Oh yea, let's throw electricity into the equation and do this during the cold/wet time of the year. Merry @#$#%$%^ Christmas.

YXR9Z.gif

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If I was a Christmas light hanging kind of a guy (I'm not), I'd get some of the LED display gadgets that project onto the house.

I am completely the opposite. Those projectors that had moving multi-colored dots all over a house look like garbage to me. When the images travel over the different colors and contours of a house, it looks like it was something someone did in about 3 minutes.

If you could keep a projection isolated to a large flat surface, it might look better, but the ones I've seen so far down here look awful.

I have seen a few that project a still image onto a house, and those look much cleaner IMO. I've also seen the projectors that go onto a window and play a little 'Christmas gif' (for lack of a better term) and those aren't bad if done well.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I noticed when shopping around this year that most of the LED reels have anywhere from 3-7 year warranty's on them depending on brand. I think the GE C6's I got for outside were 5 year. Just have to keep the receipts.

Side note: I'm getting C9's next time. I spend 5 hours on the roof of the new house putting up the C6's. It took something like 650 roof/gutter clips. I can't stand crooked lights on the house.

Edit - Side side note. These gutter clips from Menards were awesome. Easy to use and didn't break a single one while installing. Make sure they are the ones in the 75 pack, not the 100 pack.

https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...ingle-light-clips-75-pack/p-1444421258306.htm

Those are the ones I use as well, would recommend. I flip some around and clip to a piece of siding trim where I don't have a gutter, very handy.

I don't clip every light, though. I kind of like the messy look.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am completely the opposite. Those projectors that had moving multi-colored dots all over a house look like garbage to me. When the images travel over the different colors and contours of a house, it looks like it was something someone did in about 3 minutes.

If you could keep a projection isolated to a large flat surface, it might look better, but the ones I've seen so far down here look awful.

I have seen a few that project a still image onto a house, and those look much cleaner IMO. I've also seen the projectors that go onto a window and play a little 'Christmas gif' (for lack of a better term) and those aren't bad if done well.

Projector people are on par with using-different-types-of-rainbow-lights-on-the-same-house people.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Projector people are on par with using-different-types-of-rainbow-lights-on-the-same-house people.

I check to make sure all my lights work before hanging them up, of course. After I put them up, I ended up with a strand of blue LED lights that was older and faded in comparison to the other strands. My wife was telling me that she barely noticed, but that **** was gonna bother me, so I had to take them down and replace them.