"Civil War" trailer

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This movie looks pretty intense. A24 has been knocking em out of the park, so solid chance this is a good movie. Fascinated to see how California and Texas become allies against the US government.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fascinated to see how California and Texas become allies against the US government.

The "Civil War" as we learned in history class wasn't really a civil war (small c small w). It was more a regular war where we temporarily broke into two countries and had what amounted to a regular war for the middle of the 1800s, though certain theaters of the conflict (especially Missouri and other parts of the West) had more the "neighbor against neighbor" bushwhacking tenor of an actual civil war.

It wouldn't be States XYZ teaming up against States PDQ. It would be more rural areas against urban areas, the real divide in our politics... which would be much messier and the rural areas would easily win.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm sure thats done very purposefully to suggest it's a work of fiction and the conflict is not going to be based on current real world political divides.

Oh Absolutely, they don't want to eliminate roughly half of a potential audience pool. I'm sure some producer did this by design from the very beginning. Very much like how ABC didn't allow "The Day After" to show which country fired the missiles first.

• Agree
Reactions: NorthCyd

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
This movie looks pretty intense. A24 has been knocking em out of the park, so solid chance this is a good movie. Fascinated to see how California and Texas become allies against the US government.

Predictive programming. But I'd still give it a watch.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The "Civil War" as we learned in history class wasn't really a civil war (small c small w). It was more a regular war where we temporarily broke into two countries and had what amounted to a regular war for the middle of the 1800s, though certain theaters of the conflict (especially Missouri and other parts of the West) had more the "neighbor against neighbor" bushwhacking tenor of an actual civil war.

It wouldn't be States XYZ teaming up against States PDQ. It would be more rural areas against urban areas, the real divide in our politics... which would be much messier and the rural areas would easily win.
Thinking that either side would easily win if we had a civil war is a take I definitely disagree with.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Thinking that either side would easily win if we had a civil war is a take I definitely disagree with.

Wouldn't even really be a fight. Wouldn't even really need to fight much.

Rural America has access to and controls all the infrastructure that makes a modern economy possible. Just cut off or destroy the highway and railroad bridges/tunnels, transmission lines, and pipelines flowing into the major coastal cities and wait for them to starve and freeze in darkness until they quit quickly enough.

Both sides definitely lose in any material or moral sense, sure, but in a strictly military sense... I'm betting on whichever side controls the mountain passes through the Appalachians into the major population centers in the Northeast, and I think we both know which side of any conflict like this that would be.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I think the only real world scenario of any kind of war in the US is if there is some kind of cataclysmic event that results in the breakdown of society and a scarcity of resources. The average American is way too comfortable to actually go and fight it out in any sort of real way over politics, even as divided as we are over that currently.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I think a civiI war today would be various acts of terror and sabotage. Some committed by lone wolves. Some by more organized groups on a larger scale. Mixed in with larger insurrections like January 6.

Basically it would be vigilantes out to purge the country of the other "less patriotic" side that have destroyed the ideal American way of life. Conducting it with a spoken or unspoken mandate from God and the Constitution. An "Ends justify the means" type of mindset.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think the only real world scenario of any kind of war in the US is if there is some kind of cataclysmic event that results in the breakdown of society and a scarcity of resources. The average American is way too comfortable to actually go and fight it out in any sort of real way over politics, even as divided as we are over that currently.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We like talking **** on Facebook but we're too fat, lazy, old, and comfortable to actually do the sorts of things the fighters in a civil conflict need to do to fight.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

While I agree this is most likely, there are possibilities for it to go both ways in a hypothetical scenario.

A 'third term president' might just be one of those.

Not that everyone within each state would agree with their own state's decision on where to side. They didnt during the civil war either. But the state governments have a lot more organizational power so things may be represented as 'state v state' even when its muddier in reality.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Texas working with California? LMAO.

Not all that unimaginable.

Due to demographic changes, it is expected that at some point Texas will flip.

And the results of that (and the absolute mountain it would create in terms of winning the EC at that point) could easily cause some to act even more forcefully than they did on Jan 6 2021.