CJL and the spikers getting national headlines.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Thanks for the link - what a great article.
I noticed the comment from Jamie Straube about how CJL is so relaxed during matches and lets the team play. That's interesting, as I've gone to several practices over the last two years and they were extremely intense.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the link - what a great article.
I noticed the comment from Jamie Straube about how CJL is so relaxed during matches and lets the team play. That's interesting, as I've gone to several practices over the last two years and they were extremely intense.

Note Jamie said during the matches. CJ probably uses it all up during those practices, huh? :wink:

Regardless, she probably can afford to relax a bit during the games. Seems that Joe and Dawn can't sit in their seats - CJ doesn't need to get riled up .. they do it for her.

Wish there was a way to run a watch on him, I bet Joe spends more time on his feet than he does on his duff.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Note Jamie said during the matches. CJ probably uses it all up during those practices, huh? :wink:

Yes, I guess that's what I was trying to say - that you certainly can't judge a coach's intensity (and what they demand from players) just from their "demeanor" during a match or game.
I look for a huge crowd tonight, especially with the Facebook promo.
I also look forward to the day when we host one of those big fall tournaments like other schools do - it'd be cool to get a Penn State, Stanford, Washington, etc. to come here. Need a big sponsor though.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Even the volleyball polls can't get it right. ISU beats Nebraska, and is still ranked below the Fuskers...unreal.

ISU has 3 losses, NU has 5. Obviously we know ISU won the head to head.

All 3 or our losses have been to top 25 teams, as have all 5 of NU's. Arguement could be made that NU's schedule is tougher - losing to UCLA and Minnesota, in addition to ISU, A&M and Texas.

What chaps me more than the 2 loss disparity, is that NU has lost 2 of those matches AT HOME (or essentially at home playing/losing to Michigan in Omaha and UCLA in the Devany center). Heck, they even dropped a game to Oklahoma in Lincoln last Saturday! On the heels of the ISU loss.

ISU is undefeated at home, having not dropped a set to this point.

I'm all for looking at the schedule when ranking. But to my mind, that just doesn't add up.

Ah well, 9th is pretty dang good for ISU. And we get another (home) crack at the Huskers.

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I'm impressed with the complimentary musings from Terry Pettit - he seems like a quality individual. I don't recall hearing similar things from Bill Belichek when Josh McDaniel beat him earlier this year...:wink:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm impressed with the complimentary musings from Terry Pettit - he seems like a quality individual.

censored.gif

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm impressed with the complimentary musings from Terry Pettit - he seems like a quality individual. I don't recall hearing similar things from Bill Belichek when Josh McDaniel beat him earlier this year...:wink:

Who knows, maybe if Pettit was still the Husker coach, he wouldn't be so complimentary.
After Pettit retired, he has since become a huge motivational speaker and coaching consultant. His book, "Talent and the Secret Life of Teams" is a must-read.

And by the way: CJL absolutely idolizes Terry Pettit...

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Love this article. Can't wait to hear who the recruits she references are. I really like how strategic she is in how she builds her program.