CJL to NE?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So I read volleytalk quite a bit, and every Big Red fan over there is convinced that CJL will be Cook's replacement by 2016. One is even claiming to have inside info from the AD at NE as well as the coach.

Obviously, I think we would be insane to let her go and from her standpoint, I think it's pretty neat to build your own legacy -which she would be doing here. Going to NE and doing anything but winning championships will not be acceptable. I've got to think that the environment is better at ISU - much less stress and pressure, great place to raise a family. But NE is her alma mater and she's obviously still very much loved there.

What do ISU fans think?

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
She is the only person who knows what the correct answer is to your question.....

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Would be a total bummer but you couldn't fault her for taking the NE job if it was open.

Last edited:

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's crap. No coach does that. Quite frankly, as good as she has been, if she did do this, she should be terminated immediately. Again, I don't think there is a chance in hell that she would do this.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I saw that too. I'm worried that she will leave, but I can see why she would. She grew up in Nebraska, she played for Nebraska and all the Nebraska fans love her. So to me it's when she'll leave. Hopefully it's after she wins a championship here so we can get another great coach just like her.

When she goes to Nebraska I think she'll win a lot of championship and I'll always cheer for her because she's a great coach a def. a great person.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Could be a real possibility, given that she played at Nebraska. Iowa State would have to find someone better to lead the program if that happened. Let's hope that does not happen.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not saying I would look down on her for leaving, I'm just saying that having some kind of deal already in place is underhanded and not the way to do things. Again, I don't think she is the kind of person who would do that.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I feel like Nebraska, Penn State, and Texas (among others) are programs that are now successful beyond their coaches. The programs have name recognition, and players want to be there. Right now I feel that our program lives and dies with CJL. I can see why she would leave and know she's the only one who knows for certain, but gosh, I really want her to stay for a long, long time!

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
If that job opens she is likely gone. But, stranger things happen and maybe she does want to continue to create something here. Either way, as long as Pollard is around we will have a good coach.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I think she has a pretty good thing going here and has an opportunity to make ISU volleyball a perrenial powerhouse. I think if we can match the money Nebraska would bring and continue to invest in the facilities/amenities for v-ball, she'll at least think twice.

People put a lot of stock into a person's alma mater, but it doesn't always mean the world. Ask Cael.:confused:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm not saying I would look down on her for leaving, I'm just saying that having some kind of deal already in place is underhanded and not the way to do things. Again, I don't think she is the kind of person who would do that.

Yeah that's what I don't think is cool - implying that it's already a done deal. Aren't there any assistants at NE that would be up for consideration? I would lose a lot of respect for her if she left and it came out that she had been planning to do so from the get-go and was just biding her time.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think she has a pretty good thing going here and has an opportunity to make ISU volleyball a perrenial powerhouse. I think if we can match the money Nebraska would bring and continue to invest in the facilities/amenities for v-ball, she'll at least think twice.

People put a lot of stock into a person's alma mater, but it doesn't always mean the world. Ask Cael.:confused:

Absolutely agree. Her time at NE was 15+ years ago....maybe she's moved on, wants to build a name for herself as a coach here, build a program from scratch, and raise her family in Ames. I still think there will be a lot less pressure and stress on her here than there would be in NE.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Why would NE not hire from within? Recruiting would not be disrupted and the scheme would not change. Everyone moves up one notch

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Absolutely agree. Her time at NE was 15+ years ago....maybe she's moved on, wants to build a name for herself as a coach here, build a program from scratch, and raise her family in Ames. I still think there will be a lot less pressure and stress on her here than there would be in NE.

Yep, they might "love" her there, but any less than we do here? She IS ISU Volleyball. Here she is the face of the program. Lot less pressure here, just as much a chance at big time success (now at least). I don't see much advantage to moving, other than 1) money & 2) it is her alma mater (which to me is different for every person).

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Is Christy from Ne originally?

Couldn't quickly find that, but I did see that apparently she was an asst. coach for NE before she went to UW-Mad. That seems interesting - if you were set on being head coach, why not stay?

Edit: she is an Omaha native. Coached a year at Millard North as well (believe that is Caitlin Mahoney's high school?)

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
So I read volleytalk quite a bit, and every Big Red fan over there is convinced that CJL will be Cook's replacement by 2016. One is even claiming to have inside info from the AD at NE as well as the coach.

Obviously, I think we would be insane to let her go and from her standpoint, I think it's pretty neat to build your own legacy -which she would be doing here. Going to NE and doing anything but winning championships will not be acceptable. I've got to think that the environment is better at ISU - much less stress and pressure, great place to raise a family. But NE is her alma mater and she's obviously still very much loved there.

What do ISU fans think?

This is nothing more than Nebby fans upset because they lost to KSU. A lot can happen between now and 2016 and who even knows if Tommy O will still be around. It would be different if she were already there was named the coach in waiting, but she doesn't even coach there, so it makes it hard to believe there is a "secret" deal in place.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is nothing more than Nebby fans upset because they lost to KSU. A lot can happen between now and 2016 and who even knows if Tommy O will still be around. It would be different if she were already there was named the coach in waiting, but she doesn't even coach there, so it makes it hard to believe there is a "secret" deal in place.

It's definitely popped up a lot in the last couple days, but it's definitely not the first time I've heard it in my months of lurking.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
It's definitely popped up a lot in the last couple days, but it's definitely not the first time I've heard it in my months of lurking.

All you had to do was see the meltdown on Twitter and other social media sites to realize this was going to start up. Just like every time a football team in Eastern Iowa loses and they are calling for their coaches head.