Class of 2021

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We have the potential to be a top 10 team in year 3. We have come a long ways. I bet not many of us expected this in year 3. Keep the faith. Next year looks decent also .
Reeves battling a national qualifier for a spot.
Only have to fill Straw’s spot.

lots will happen in 2 years with this roster

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I agree Buf. He has done well with this roster. The issue is 33, 41, 65, 74, 84 and heavyweight are all KJs recruits. It’s hard to see a roster with Dressers recruits at this time.

Realistically we have a replacement at 25 and 84. We need true AA type guys at most weights to be in the top 10. After next year we have legitimate shots at 25, 33 (if he holds weight) and 57 and a whole bunch of question marks IMO.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
We have the potential to be a top 10 team in year 3. We have come a long ways. I bet not many of us expected this in year 3. Keep the faith. Next year looks decent also .

I was looking at Intermat's rankings the other day, and we are top 20 at every weight except 174 and 197 (and we aren't weak in either of those). Haven't been there for some time and I like the way we're progressing.

Reactions: buf87

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I’m not sure how people can’t be concerned with this staff’s recruiting. I like where the lineup is for this year and next but we have A LOT of question marks after that. We don’t have the kids in the pipeline to keep that top 10 team going after 2021 as it stands right now, let alone be pushing for a top 5 team.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Is there a lack of concern? Everyone wants to get the top recruits, but that is not the same thing as starting a discussion about replacing coaches. There may be some clouds in the sky, but it's not falling.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I never viewed Ayala as a top priority with Reeves a career 125. Assuming Ayala is too.

I felt like we had something to sell Rathjen as far as path to mat time. This one hurts more to me than when Ayala goes elsewhere.

Ayala is two years behind Reeves so though they are related they aren't directly related. And I think Ayala > Reeves over the long haul. That said, he's Iowa or Ohio State bound.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with all the money that Dresser has raised, shouldn't we be able to get better senior level guys? These kids want to train with the best.

He has definitely increased the fundraising but it is still far behind most big clubs. Furthermore, I believe fundraising has been short of his goals so far but that might be more impression than reality.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

The team is making progression on the mat, and you have to hope that will lead to recruits. However, while it is possible to be a top 10 team this year, that may be a blip. With a Michigan, Cornel, Missouri, VT all with studs taking Olympic shirts. Put those ORS guys back in and ISU probably isn’t even top 15.

2021 is a big class because in 2023 ISU will need to replace Parker, Degen, Mackall, Gremmel.

Unless there are true fresh recruits from the 2022 class, who is replacing those guys?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I noticed Metcalf is still liking AE tweets
( as long as they don’t have to do with visits to other schools ) Seems as if he has been moving around a lot - was tweeting from Pikes Peak yesterday .

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
So Eierman, Rathjen,Henson, and now possibly Echemendia? Iowa has to be giving these guys no money. Are they all being paid by boosters?
Rathjen family are lifelong hawks. I’d imagine he is going on a huge discount. Echemendia is a Cuban refugee, me thinks he’ll get plenty of financial aid.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Rathjen family are lifelong hawks. I’d imagine he is going on a huge discount. Echemendia is a Cuban refugee, me thinks he’ll get plenty of financial aid.

Eierman has his eyes on the next two Olympic cycles. Wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t taking any scholarship money for his one and only year at Iowa.

Agree on Echemendia. And I will still be surprised if he wrestles much D1. School is going to be a challenge. FYI, he will have the same issue at Iowa as he would have had at ISU being short on a core course. Likely has the same issue elsewhere. Not sure he can get it in before mid January. It isn’t a reach for him but he has to actually do it. My guess is that he doesn’t start college full time until next year.