Class of 2024 Breakdown

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Guys (and ladies).

I must admit that I did not have the excitement to make another one of these threads due to the struggle with the team that began at the end of 2021. With the recent success (and also me reviewing my evaluations of guys like Becht and Cooper), I feel energized and excited to share my thoughts on these players. I look forward to seeing what you guys think. I will do my best to post a couple guys every week.

*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****
I want to make clear the vocabulary that is the "Player Comp." Over the past few years, I have given player comps in these evals to try to paint of picture of the play styles of a prospect. When I make a player comp, I am not projecting the career that the prospect is likely to have, but moreso the play style they have. For instance, I may compare Deon Silas is comped to Darren Sproles (rather than a guy like Jerome Bettis), meaning he is a short back that makes quick cuts to get yards and not his body. I am not saying that Deon is likely to be a Heisman finalist and have a 15 year NFL career; that projection is in a different section.

I don't want you to think I'm incredibly delusional and believe that we are going to have a team full of Heisman hopefuls.

Let's get started......

PLAYER RATINGS

Freshman Rating
:
Dylan Lee 71
Cooper Alexander 70
Connor Moberly 70
Khijohnn Cummings-Coleman 70
Cael Brezina 68
Wade Helton 68

Potential Rating:
Khijohnn Cummings-Coleman 96
Dylan Lee 96
Cooper Alexander
Cael Brezina 92
Connor Moberly 92
Wade Helton 89

SUPERLATIVES

Most likely to be your dad's favorite player

TBD

Most likely to have the longest NFL Career
TBD

Most likely to start first game of collegiate career
TBD

My Top 5 Favorite
TBD

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Connor Moberly
Position: QB
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 195lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Marcus Mariota. Has a similar touch on the ball as well as very good straight-line speed. May not be as agile as Vick, Murray, or Lamar Jackson, but he can turn broken plays into 30-yard runs.
Significant Impact: RS SO. Rocco and JJ will make it difficult for other quarterbacks to see the field early
Areas of Improvement:
He has a tendency to throw into double and triple coverage, especially when he's taking deep shots. I'm not sure if they are scripted reads because he doesn't take much time to read the coverage in these situations. Also, he tends to freeze when the pocket is collapsing; however, I'd rather take a sack than a pick.
Thoughts:
When I first started to follow recruiting closely back in 2010, the big difference I realized was the talent of quarterback that Iowa State was bringing in compared to other power five teams. Specifically, I remember watching Grant Rohach's high school tape and thinking "Yeah, he's ok I guess, but he is nothing compared to Jameis Winston or Gunner Kiel." No, I was not delusional to think that Rhoads could pull a 5-star caliber QB, but I felt like there was a lot to be desired with recruits such as Joel Lanning, Darius Lee Campbell, and.... dare I say..... Dom Delira *hides*.

Enter Campbell.

The first few classes of Campbell were rough. Even in high school, I never felt Zeb Noland could grab the reigns and lead a team to victory. Guys like Devon Moore and Real Mitchell could definitely run, but I never saw evidence that they could complete a pass when they needed to. Then Brock Purdy showed up.... Hunter Dekkers was a no-brainer prospect coming out. We've seen Rocco flourish and JJ looks to be the next man up after he gets some time to stew. We have reached one of the top 5 most important qualities of a college football program: the ability to identify great college quarterbacks.

Why does this matter? Well, the obvious; it is important to bring in the best talent that you can and you have to identify it early to do so. But it also matters when it pertains to Moberly. I can hear the average fan already: "Was the 3-star Des Moines kid really the best kid available? Could we have gotten better?" Truth is... I worried about that too. Did Abu Sama, Kadyn Proctor, and the rest of the SEP team elevate him or is he really that good?

Yes, Connor Moberly really is that good. Before, we would take fliers on guys like Joel Lanning to try to stop the bleeding that was the Iowa State Quarterback position. But in Moberly's case, it's actually the opposite. He is CLONE TO THE BONE and he was pretty much a lock to come to Iowa State if offered. The staff wanted to evaluate the rest of the prospects first to make sure they went after the right guy. We all know how that turned out.

Connor Moberly, while we may not see him very soon due to Rocco and JJ, is a spectacular get for the Cyclones. He's a great dual-threat QB who only runs when he has to. He is probably the best running Quarterback since Re-al Mitchell. Although he can run, I am much more impressed with his ability to throw. He may not be as polished as Rocco Becht, but he has a good release and is able to work through his progression to find the open receiver. He throws a very accurate deep ball with a tight spiral. I think Moberly has a tendency to take a shot and he has the ability to do so. He has very good mechanics and throws the ball with ease.

I really like Moberly as a prospect. He should be a low four-star recruit; he has all the tools and abilities to be one. I think he will be Iowa State's starting QB in a few years and he will have learned from Scheelhaase and guys like Rocco and JJ.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Dylan Lee
Position: RB
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 200lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 96
Player Comparison: Gale Sayers. Dylan's ability to cut at full speed is unlike anything I have seen with Iowa State prospects. I've only seen it with guys like Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders. He may not have the top speed that Gale Sayers had, but he possesses some of that cutting ability that made Sayers famous.
Significant Impact: RS SO. Iowa State has a pretty thick stable.
Areas of Improvement:
He will need to gain some weight and work on his speed. If he can get to above 20+MPH speed and up to 215lb, I feel bad for the Big 12.
Thoughts:
There is about one prospect every year where I wonder "Why is everyone obsessed with another guy when this guy is special?" We saw it with David Montgomery and Kene, Brock Purdy and Re-al Mitchell, Breece Hall and Jirehl and recently Ben Brahmer and Kenyon Sadiq. Yes, the other guys were very talented, but the main guys were can't miss prospects. The running back that a lot of people in the fanbase focused on was Xavier Robinson. I understand the appeal; Xavier was a 6'2" 240lb touchdown machine. He was a really good prospect. He had the measurables and the statistics to convince anyone that he could play at any level and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat. He was ISU's top prospect, not just for running back, but maybe the whole entire class. I actually really wanted him to be the guy heading into the summer.

And then on May 25th, 2023, the offer came......

While Iowa State was very much involved in the Xavier Robinson recruitment, they offered a relatively-unknown kid from Williams Field HS in Arizona. Xavier Robinson was choosing between OU, Notre Dame and Iowa State with no clear direction as to what he would pick; it would be foolish to show him ANY sign that he may not be our priority... or so I thought. I decided to check out Dylan Lee for the heck of it. I realized he was not nearly the size of Robinson (whose size I fell in love with). Offers weren't great. He looked thin. Had Campbell lost his touch?

I turned on the tape and the rest was history. Xavier Who? I was hooked from the moment I saw the tape. You see... The common misconception is that a big, tall running back will be tough to bring down because they are super physical and it will be tough for safeties to bring them down. They are automatic yards right? wrong. Wanna know what is more effective that breaking an arm tackle? Not getting touched at all.

Dylan Lee will likely never impress you with his speed. He's tall, but he will likely never impress you with his size. He'll probably never truck the mess outta dudes or be super physical. That's not really his game. What I will say is this: I have NEVER seen the elusiveness and cutting ability that Dylan Lee possesses from any other Iowa State prospect since I've followed recruiting. I'm even talking about the five star guys that we offered that eventually went to OU or Penn State. The fluidity, sharpness and speed at which he makes his cuts are second to none. That mixed with good vision and great instincts creates one of the best running back prospects to ever come to Iowa State.

Dylan Lee is special. It stinks that we may need to wait a few years for him to be the feature guy, but get your popcorn ready for when he is.

Check him out and let me know what you think:

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Cooper Alexander
Position: TE
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 225lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 95
Player Comparison: Dawson Knox. This is the comp that a lot are giving and I agree. Quick, reliable Receiving threat.
Significant Impact: RS SO. Gosh, He's going to be good, but he'll have to be better than Brahmer, Moore, Burkle and Keller to get snaps. He also needs to put on significant weight. Depends on when they will want to use him for him to play early.
Areas of Improvement:
Blocking. That's about it.
Thoughts:
I feel like I lose credibility every time I write up one of these player evals. I haven't even thought about what I'm going to write about for Cooper, but know that I am going to gush all over him and that I'll need to hold myself back from anointing him as the next great tight end. It's one of the reasons why I didn't do these evals last year; I could tell people were getting tired of me gushing over are athlete, because "they all can't be All-Americans, dude." However, it seems that high praise may have been warranted (I LOVED Abu, Carson, Same, Brahmer and a couple other guys), the 2023 class is the best class ISU has ever signed and it's not close.

Ok. Let the Gushing begin.

I remember back in 2012 or 2013, I was standing in the student section watching Paul Rhoads try to figure out how to move the ball with and anemic offense. I can't remember who we were playing, but it was a dud of a game. Rhoads tries to spark something and on 3rd down, he runs a bubble screen to Ernst Brun for a loss of a yard. It goes nowhere. I'm sure Ernst is a great guy, but he is not THAT guy; he should be blocking for screens, not catching them. The next drive.... Rhoads tries it again. Same result. Everyone in the crowd knew that we didn't have a tight end on the roster that would be successful at a bubble screen. They couldn't move well; their agility was incredibly limited. Shoot, even EJ Bibbs was not agile like that (some of you forgot about that guy, didn't you?).

You wanna know who could be successful at it? Cooper Alexander. I have attached his Junior highlights to the bottom of this post (he hasn't uploaded his senior highlights yet). Take a look at the first few plays. Charlie couldn't move like that. Chase couldn't move like that. Soehner, Dean, Brun, Hammerschmidt.... forget about it.

I loved Cooper's abilities from the moment I heard we were recruiting him. Once we offered him, he quickly became one of my favorite prospects of the class. His potential to be a total mismatch mixed with my trust in Mouser's development and our offense had me thinking it was a no-brainer for him to come to ISU. Then, a nice kick in the pants; Oklahoma offered. He lives in Oklahoma. His father played for Oklahoma and then for several years in the NFL. An instate legacy for a blueblood? Yea, little old Iowa State has no chance. Things were looking bleak. And one day in August, he decided to announce. I had all but written him off; he was a lock for Oklahoma. And then the unthinkable happened: He chose ISU.

If Iowa State did not have Brahmer and Keller, I would say that Alexander would have a big shot to start next year. He has very good hips and is in the top tier of movement fluidity and route running for a tight end. He has a stellar catch radius and catches EVERYTHING even while getting rocked by an opponent. No, he's not the 6'6" like a lot of people in this fanbase want, but I'm telling you that it doesn't matter.

Cooper Alexander is a future pro and will have a special career at Iowa State.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Keaton Roskop
Position: FB
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 220lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 90
Player Comparison: Kyle Juszczyk. Fullback without the bowling ball build and actually utilized to make an impact in the offensive game plan.
Significant Impact: RS FR. When Stevo Klotz graduates, the floor will be his.
Areas of Improvement:
He will need to get his behind in the weightroom. He is coming off of an ACL tear which the rehab has been going very well. However; he will need to get up to 250lb to be the size that ISU needs their FB to be to compete in the Big 12.
Thoughts:
The prospects of Keaton Roskop makes me really excited. ISU fans have asked for while what kind of production we could get from the FB spot if we actually play a guy that we recruited and offered a scholarship to play that position. In other words, a talented guy who was hand picked for the position based on his skillset.

I love this position. It may be one of my favorites on the Campbell teams due to the importance, yet vastly overlooked nature of the position and who we had planning the position. Call me crazy, but I think A LOT of David Montgomery's 2018 success was due to Sam Seonbuchner's abilities to size up the immediate defender. Jared Rus had good qualities about him. Let's not forget, our running backs struggled the most this year when Stevo Klotz was injured. This position is pivotal for pounding the rock.

But let's take a look at Roskop's predecessors. Stevo Klotz was a preferred walk-on with the intent to play TE. His focus for his whole career (up until recently) was shining with the ball in his hands or blocking a linebacker/safety several yards down the field. Had no experience of playing fullback until recently. Before Klotz was Jared Rus, who was another preferred walk-on that was the running back for Zach Peterson's North Scott team. Yea... he may have tried to run like Mike Alstott, but he never focused on blocking like him. Before Rus was Soehner kinda, but he never was a true fullback. Before that was Sam Seonbuchner, a true pioneer for Iowa State football. Sam Seonbuchner was special at that position, but he was bought in as a scholarship linebacker later to be moved do to his lack of speed and lateral movement. He was physical, but just not fast enough so they made a spot for him. All these guys were limited athletically.

When I first saw that we were recruiting Keaton, I thought "that's interesting, usually we try to recruited tight ends that are a little taller." After watching his tape, I could understand why we wanted to him so early. He was an in-state kid with athleticism at the tight end spot that is rare to find in Iowa. I saw a guy that had speed to run away for some of the top cornerbacks in the state. Great catch radius and a guy with that DAWG in him. He would have been a VERY good get any year that we would land him. He was raised as a hawkeye fan, but he wanted to close his recruitment quickly into the process. I thought we were sitting well and only had to worry about the surprise Hawkeye offer (which didn't seem to be coming). That offer never came; however, drama still found a way to rear it's head. A few days after he committed to the Cyclones, Texas A&M offered. Great.... a blue blood has come to wave NIL around and steal our players.... or so I thought. Luckily, Keaton stayed true to his word and remained a Cyclone.

He had been creeping closer and closer to a four star as the national recruiting sites took a closer look at his film. Once he tore his ACL, it was over. He wouldn't get that bump which bummed me out. I honestly think he would have gotten that fourth star with a solid senior season....

But imagine that.... a four star talent playing a position where we usually have one and two star talent playing. Keaton is significantly more athletic and gifted in the passing game than any of his predecessors. He will be a lot like Kyle Juszczyk or that Jeremiah Hall guy from Oklahoma a few years ago. If you ask the opposing teams of those guys, they will tell you that they have no answer for defending those guys. It's such a rare position and even more rare to have great talent at that position; it makes a mismatch nightmare and they usually become unstoppable. NFL teams don't know how to figure out Juszczyk since they don't always anticipate him getting the ball and the route concepts are so strange.

I don't think that other Big 12 teams will be ready for Keaton Roskop in the fullback position. He will eat Cincinnati's lunch. Teams like Houston and BYU won't stand a chance. They will think he's blocking, but he will slip out for a pass and he will burn the defense with his surprising athleticism. In a sense, he's a lot like Talen Horton-Tucker. DO you put a forward or a guard to block him? How do you stop him (if he doesn't stop himself first)?

Also, Keaton is a great kid. Do I think he is the most talented, highest potential guy to come to Iowa State ? No, that's Allen Lazard. Is a four star? In my book, yes. Is he going to revolutionize the Iowa State offense? I think so.

Super excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Wade Helton
Position: OT
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 285lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 89
Player Comparison: No player Comp for O-Line guys. I don't know the play styles of enough to give
Significant Impact: RS SO. Iowa State is pretty loaded for the next couple of years with guys who have bought into Clanton and his coaching.
Areas of Improvement:
He will need to get to 310lbs before he will be allowed to sniff the field. I find it difficult for anyone under 300lbs to ever start for a decent P5 line again (except for center, but that's even a stretch)
Thoughts:
I have to start by saying, that the most difficult position for me to get a read on is offensive line, so take this evaluation with a grain of salt. For instance, I figured Brendan Black would be good; I had no idea that he would be "Start on the offensive line as a true freshman" good though. However, I have learned something about watching offensive line tape and now know it to be a fact: The amount of pancakes in a highschool tape is irrelevant. Yes, it's a good sign, you'd rather the prospect was pancaking defenders than not, but most P5 should be pushing a regular HS DLineman around like a rag doll.

It is very hard to project how good or not an OL prospect will be. Every recruiting service whiffs on the OL recruits ALL THE TIME. You know who else does? College football coaching staffs! It's why we see a ton of FCS programs putting OL guys into the NFL every year. Two stars can become NFL All-Pros, we see that happen every single year. So when we evaluate Wade, we need to look for a few things.

I look for a few things now when watching HS OL prospect. Do they win the leverage battle? How quick is his feet? Is he "Violent" at the point of attack? Is he winning his 1v1 every play?
These are the most crucial things and they translate to college.

So where does Wade Helton land? The Helton twins are the first of the guys I would consider "Clanton guys". They were not on the ISU Recruiting board until Clanton showed up. We likely would not have recruited them if he wasn't the coach.... but I'm glad both those things came to fruition.

When it comes to Wade, I think he is versatile and can play any of the OL positions, but with quick feet and good lateral movement, he will likely be slotted at OT.

I like Wade's athleticism relative to most OL prospects. He has great lateral movement and is able to bend and move to make the play even with weird body angles. He finished through his blocks and get take pass rushers head to head. I love that he plays for Centennial in California. He has seen all sorts of talented guys from schools like Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman. He will be coming in already playing against high level talent.

I think that Wade Helton is a great addition to the class and will be a nice piece for the inaugural class of Ryan Clanton.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Cael Brezina
Position: LB
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 220lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Dillon Doyle. It would be so easy to give the Mike Rose comp to all of the 6'3", hard-nosed LBs on our roster, but I'm not going to do that. This guy is a tough SOB and sneaky athletic, a lot like Dillon Doyle.
Significant Impact: RS SO. Iowa State is pretty loaded for the next couple of years.
Areas of Improvement:
Lateral movement and pass coverage. He is not asked to do much in coverage in the HS ranks; therefore, his coverage skills and reactionary lateral movement are still raw. He will need experience in these aspects before he can play in the 3-3-5 system.
Thoughts:
Oh boy... Where to begin?

It is hard to say what is the most important position in the 3-3-5 stack defense. A lot of fans say "it's gotta be the nose tackle" due to their ability to influence the run game by taking up two blockers. We have seen guys like Ray Lima and Domonique Orange command the whole front and create a dog pile causing the running back to have to run outside. I agree the nose guard is a very important position. Some fans think the safeties as they are heavily utilitized in the run and the pass game. If those boys come to play that day, it will be incredibly difficult to have big plays against our safeties, especially at the current caliber.

For me, it is difficult to say. Defenses are dependent on strong links to keep the whole system in tacked. One hole are the opponent will gash them. Every player has to be aware of the scheme and able to perform it well, whether it be a run play or a pass play. In a lot of defenses, most players can specialize in one or the other and just be okayish at the opposite. The 3-3-5; however, requires the linebackers to be jack-of-all-trades. They need to stop the run, rush the passer, play in man covereage and zone coverage AND they need to do all of that at a high level. It's the reason that the linebackers need to be some of the most well rounded, best players on the team.

The last few years have been INCREDIBLY special with recruiting linebackers. We got our top three guys the last 3 years, can't complain with those results. In 2022, we landed McLaughlin and Willich; both guys are playing at a VERY high level right now. 2023 was also a special year; Sadowsky has just got better and better in his role and Ebel and Jean-louis have gotten some run in real games. The linebacker room is stacked (don't get me started about BACON).

So where does Brezina fit in?

There comes a couple guys every recruiting cycle where this staff salivates over their ability and potential. They went crazy for guys like Purdy, Hall, Rose, Brahmer, and several other guys through the years. The staff would label guys as "Can't Miss" prospects and they through the kitchen sink in for these guys. One of those guys this year is Cael Brezina (I'll tell you the rest when I get to them). Cael's tape reminds me a lot of Jack Sadowsky's tape. I wouldn't say they have the same player style (Sadowsky is more of an up the middle/pass rusher spy type of player; Brezina fits more on the outside), but they play with a tenacity that embodies what you picture in a Chicago linebacker.

He has a great frame with long arms and is strong as an ox. He is a nasty tackler with great form and pursuit. His film is not full of big time sacks and pick plays that he takes to the house. Although I would like to see that, it's probably not what his team asks of him. He has the capability to make those plays (as his tape has some clips), but his placement is more strategic than "We want Cael to make the big play all the time." Instead, we witness a player that is commanding his side of the field and stopping the running back in his tracks. Like Rose, he plays a hybrid of strongside DE and LB for his high school team. Therefore, a lot of the opponent's plays go to the weakside. He is very precise with his movements and his tackles. He's the freakin' boss.

In summary, Cael Brezina is gonna be one of your dad's favorite players. He's always in the right spot, he doesn't miss tackles and HE IS A NASTY MFER. DOG. John Heacock will love him because he is the best of both worlds: a cerebral player and a bad ass. Can't wait for this guy to get on campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyValley

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Khijohnn Cummings-Coleman
Position: CB/KR
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 180lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 96
Player Comparison: Adoree' Jackson. A few times every decade arises a player that can play both ways at a very high level. We have seen it with Myles Jack at UCLA, Deion Sanders, and this year in Travis Hunter. Khijohnn matches the skillset of the true triple-threat player in Adoree' Jackson. Both are great receivers, corners, and returnmen with similar builds and special speed.
Significant Impact: RS FR. We are pretty light at the CB position and he will be good enough to play early and often.
Areas of Improvement:
Playing in Zone Coverage and understanding difficult schemes are aspects that he will need to develop in his redshirt season at Iowa State. His HS team used very basic schemes and he played man-to-man for the entirety (lockdown the opponent's best receiver).
Thoughts:
The tough thing about doing these write-ups is that I have to try to give as unbiased of an analysis as I can. I do my best (probably still not great) to give an honest opinion. I know that every player can't be a Hall of famer; shoot, a third of the players will never see a down. I am a huge cheerleader of all the athletes and want to see them do well; I want to see them reap the benefits of their hard work. That said, most players will not play professionally and we won't remember their name the season after they leave. I am well aware of this.

But... about once a year, we get a player who just looks different than the rest of the players in the class. In 2018, we were lucky to get a couple of those guys: Brock Purdy and more so Mike Rose. Brock looked incredible, a total gamer, but I have seen hundreds of quarterbacks that I thought would be the next Heisman Winner (Gunner Kiel, Phil Jurkovec and Jaxson Dart) go to their respective schools and not nearly live up to the hype and play at the level that everyone thought. However, Mike Rose was just different. Even though he played a lot of DE and OLB where the opponent could just run away from him, he always seemed to be making plays; not just great pursuit and tackle, but great pursuit, strip the ball, recover the fumble and take it for a touchdown (this scenario happened multiple times). Mike was a different breed. Myle Purchase was similar; he would have multiple Pick-6 games in a season.

It's hard to remain unbiased for the player because all the alarm bells in my head are telling me that this player is going to be something special. They are making plays that I have never seen before on a regular basis. They look like the sport is too easy for them.

Enter Khijohnn Cummings-Coleman. First off, great football name right there (soft "I"). Don't let his team's record fool you (they suck), KCC is a FREAK. The only way that college scouts know about the kid from Coon Rapids is he would make insane plays that all the area had to talk. When a guy takes over a game, word gets out.

I have to be honest. If I had my way, Khijohnn would be a wide receiver much like I wanted TJ Tampa to be a receiver. I think that he could have been a Day 2 pick in the draft if we decided to play him at receiver. With his speed, agility and playmaking ability, he would be deadly after the catch. Just get him the ball. But we need more cornerbacks in that room and it's probably the right call to slot him at corner.

KCC is going to be an island. We have seen it with Peavy. We have seen it with Johnson. We are seeing it will Tampa. We will soon see it with KCC. Lockdown. He is as clutch as Tampa and as consistent as Peavy. He does not have superior size (shorter than 6 foot), but he will be attached to the receiver's hip. What he has that we haven't seen much of from our corners is his ability to make big plays with the ball in his hands. If he gets a pick, he is a serious threat to take it for a touchdown. He has great field vision and instincts.

I love this guy. I think it might take a year for him to learn the defense, but once he has it down, watch out!

Last edited: