Class shown by CU

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I still doubt your ability to understand the rule when you didn't even know all of the CU points came going into the wind.

Done here, we won - nothing changing it. As I read the rules, they were enforced correctly. And the Denver Bronco field goal unit > Colorado field goal unit.

'Nuff said.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The NFL's 10 second run off rule is a moot point, if the refs had done their jobs properly and gotten the ball set there wouldn't have been ANY justification for the penalty in the first place.

And another thing: Tell me honestly, have you EVER seen refs call a team for delay of game on a last second field goal before? How many times have you seen these last second fire drill field goals take place... 30, maybe 50 times in your life? And out of those times, how many of those came down to whether or not the refs signaled the ball to be ready for play? Before yesterday, I'll guarantee you the answer to that question is "zero".

Every time this has happened before the only thing that's mattered is whether or not the kicking team gets their players set and gets the ball snapped before the clock hits triple 0's. Yesterday though, for whatever reason, the refs decided to make an unprecedented call following an incredible display of execution by the Buffs special teams unit.

It's like when you see a player in the NBA get called for travelling after taking 2 steps leading up to a dunk. Even if you want to argue that the call was technically right, you're more or less required to admit "yeah... but you NEVER see refs make that call."

I concede nothing here though, as far as I'm concerned the officials absolutely made two consecutive horrendous calls during the most critical juncture of yesterdays game. They WILL be investigated, but they should be suspended.

So you think it is the refs responsibility to hurry as fast as possible to get the ball set within 10 seconds (when you even agreed that 15-18 seconds is normal) just to accommodate you guys because your coach called a horrendous play call? And that is a serious question.

If 15-18 seconds is normal, why are you complaining?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The NFL's 10 second run off rule is a moot point, if the refs had done their jobs properly and gotten the ball set there wouldn't have been ANY justification for the penalty in the first place.

And another thing: Tell me honestly, have you EVER seen refs call a team for delay of game on a last second field goal before? How many times have you seen these last second fire drill field goals take place... 30, maybe 50 times in your life? And out of those times, how many of those came down to whether or not the refs signaled the ball to be ready for play? Before yesterday, I'll guarantee you the answer to that question is "zero".

Every time this has happened before the only thing that's mattered is whether or not the kicking team gets their players set and gets the ball snapped before the clock hits triple 0's. Yesterday though, for whatever reason, the refs decided to make an unprecedented call following an incredible display of execution by the Buffs special teams unit.

It's like when you see a player in the NBA get called for travelling after taking 2 steps leading up to a dunk. Even if you want to argue that the call was technically right, you're more or less required to admit "yeah... but you NEVER see refs make that call."

I concede nothing here though, as far as I'm concerned the officials absolutely made two consecutive horrendous calls during the most critical juncture of yesterdays game. They WILL be investigated, but they should be suspended.

Illegal snaps get called all the time, so do delays of game from spiking the ball. The rarity of the play in question (last second FG attempt while clock is running) makes it hard to ever see that exact call. What other instances would cause this sequence to occur? Only last second FG attempts WHILE the clock is running out. I know last second attempts happen all the time, but generally there is either more time on the clock, or time is stopped.

IMO the only argument you have is if the refs were "loafing" on the play in question. If memory serves me correct, they weren't. As I said before, I patiently wait to see a replay of the sequence.

Technically or not, it is against the rules to snap the ball before the refs signal ready. (hence the penalty AND the review that upheld the call)

I cannot see how there is any argument against the attempt after the penalty, the official told the players EXACTLY what was going to happen. In the end, time ran out, no matter how you want to slice it.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
If officials change the way they officiate and handle the game near the end, on final drives, for example, would that not be helping one team more than the other? Expecting referees to deviate from their normal procedure would, in and of itself, be expecting them to stop being impartial to assist one team over another. I don't understand your argument.

KingRalphie

Nov 10, 2007
If officials change the way they officiate and handle the game near the end, on final drives, for example, would that not be helping one team more than the other? Expecting referees to deviate from their normal procedure would, in and of itself, be expecting them to stop being impartial to assist one team over another. I don't understand your argument.

When both teams are in a panic and moving twice as fast as they normally would between plays, wouldn't the refs not moving around with the same level of urgency be favoring one team more than the other?

The argument can be made either way.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Not really, by speeding up their process in critical situations one team has the potential to benefit significantly more than the other. Is it not the referee's entire reason for being to maintain fairness among every aspect of the game?

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
When both teams are in a panic and moving twice as fast as they normally would between plays, wouldn't the refs not moving around with the same level of urgency be favoring one team more than the other?

The argument can be made either way.

No it can't. The rules cannot change when it is convenient for one team. If you want the refs to set the ball within 10 seconds, they should be doing that on every single play of the game...not just the last play so you can get a quick field goal in. It doesn't work that way.

Since Hawkins said he will seek a review from the league, my guess is that a statement will come out early this week which will say the play was officiated correctly.

KingRalphie

Nov 10, 2007
My guess is that a statement will come out early this week which will say the play was officiated correctly.

My guess is that you'll be sincerely disappointed when that statement comes out. My other guess is that a lot of people on here will be saying "well, whatever, we got the win. That's all that matters, screw the league... etc... etc..."

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
My goodness, if that sort of shoddy officiating had happened against Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, or anywhere in the SEC, those refs would have been put in the witness protection program immediately after leaving the stadium. But Hawkins was a cool customer about it, he didn't complain about the calls (at least not that I've heard), he just said "well that's the way it goes, we should have executed... blah blah blah" instead.

If I were trying to revive a program, and I just had a chance at bowl eligibility stolen from me twice in a row... uff, I'd have chased those refs back to their houses if I had to.

If it had happened to my team, I'm sure I would be pissed too. But really CU shouldn't have gotten any plays off at the end after the guy was tackled inbounds. They did a great job almost pulling it off, but they jumped the gun on the first snap. By doing that they actually got a chance, but they didn't execute the instant the clock was wound. I'm not sure what they were waiting for.

One could argue the refs did an outstanding job on getting this right. If there is any criticism, one might be they took too long to get the ball set for play. But even that it is CU's responsibility to make sure they get out of bounds and stop the clock and not put it in the hands of the refs to get the ball set for play minimal time:chatterbox:.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
My guess is that you'll be sincerely disappointed when that statement comes out. My other guess is that a lot of people on here will be saying "well, whatever, we got the win. That's all that matters, screw the league... etc... etc..."

I have 60,000 credits to bet that won't happen.

KJCY

Apr 30, 2006
Walker,Ia
THE ONLY THING I WILL SAY IS THE REFS IN THE BIG 12 CANN'T MAKE A CALL TO SAVE THEIR LIFE. THIS ISN'T JUST IN ISU GAMES, I'VE SEEN IT IN ALOT OF OTHER GAMES TOO. I HOPE THE BUFF KICK THE SH#T OUT OF THE CORNSUCKER. AS FOR US CYCLONES HOPFULLY WE GET A LITTLE PAY BACK FOR THE 2005 GAME IN KANSAS.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
After the first kick the refs at the goal post just looked at each other and neither signaled. I would say that is a sign that they either weren't ready or that the ref hadn't started play yet.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Actually, I'm not at all upset about that. When one team puts up 21 points in the second quarter, then the other team puts up 21 points in the third quarter, you can rest assured that the wind is playing a pretty huge part in the success of both teams (especially in a place like Ames).

To be clear: What I am bitter about is getting outright screwed by the officials twice, not as the play occurred, but AFTER the play had already taken place. Ball is snapped, kick is made, refs signal that the field goal is good, then they get together AFTERWARDS and say "no wait... uh, that didn't count." Colorado earned overtime, but they got a loss instead.

And yes, we will see you next year. It's safe to say Colorado will have that game circled too (that'll be a first for an ISU visit to Boulder). Hopefully your QB will leave Boulder in one piece, he seems like a good kid.

You're making an a$$ of yourself. CU wasn't screwed and your version of how it went down isn't remotely close to the truth..... just stop already. The guy snapped it too soon and the officials blew it dead with the ball in the air. CU tried to cheat to win and they got a second chance that they never SHOULD have received and even then they screwed the pooch and didn't snap the ball on the officials whistle.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

If the Big 12 office makes that statement, which I don't doubt they will, that will exactly be the case:

We won. You lost.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Actually, I'm not at all upset about that. When one team puts up 21 points in the second quarter, then the other team puts up 21 points in the third quarter, you can rest assured that the wind is playing a pretty huge part in the success of both teams (especially in a place like Ames).

Actually CU scored 21 going into the wind in the 2nd quarter, so the wind did not play that big of a part of the game as you like to make it out.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Actually CU scored 21 going into the wind in the 2nd quarter, so the wind did not play that big of a part of the game as you like to make it out.

Hush, you with your logic. You're confusing Ralphie. I mentioned this before in response to his post and he conveniently ignored it.

The wind played a part in the game. But it clearly affected us more.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Man, all this thread and KingRalphie blames the refs. Isn't it funny that he doesn't place on bit of blame for his Buffs losing the game by not kicking on 3rd and 2 instead of running another play and not stopping the clock.......or the fact that they let us score 31 unanswerred points before they got a heartbeat again. Starting to remind me of chicken hawk fans. There was 9 seconds on the clock when all this commotion started. No way this is on the refs, give it up. You're being a sore loser.

HuxleyClone

Sep 16, 2007
CU was definitely screwed over. By their own idiot coach!!!! Scoreboard Ralphie, go complain on the CU boards about your coach and your idiot snapper who didn't know enough to snap the ball. And one more thing, quit comparing this game to an NFL game. If this was an NFL game your stupid ***es would have been out of there with one less play to screw up BECAUSE THEY WOULD HAVE RUN OFF 10 SECONDS FOR THAT PENALTY THAT GAVE YOU AN UNDESERVED SHOT TO BEGIN WITH! Go yell at your coach moron. He's the fool you should be pissed at, not the officials.

Last edited by a moderator: