Classless Hawks

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
What I find is funny about many Iowa fans now is that they are acting more and more like "little brother" than most ISU fans are, or ever did. The obsession, the need to show where they might have something good going, as rare as that is, and the instant attack whenever anything goes bad at ISU.....yet little recognition of what goes right. But the funniest thing is.....they don't even seem to realize they are acting that way. Some of them see it, and even point it out, but most just don't get it.

CaliforniaCy

Sep 8, 2013
California
this was supposed to be Iowa's year. We were rebuilding and they returned everyone from their NIT run last year. It was their time to shine. Finally they were going to be able to stick it to ISU fans and throw it in our face how they were better than us, how they did it the right way, and that they were #rising while we were going backwards. The preseason hype was over the top. local media was fellating their program and anointing them final four contenders from day one. They all bought into it...

then, the season actually happened. turns out, pre season hype and telling yourself and everyone who will listen that you're an elite team doesn't mean jack ****. We ripped their hearts out in Ames with some help from Hilton Magic, they lost to nearly any team with a pulse they went up against throughout the season, and down the stretch they collapsed worse than football players after a Chris Doyle led workout. Their fan base started to turn, senior team leaders were telling fans to "suck a fat one", their coach continued to act like the petulant child that he is, and the wheels came totally off. They couldnt even make the NCAA field (the part that matters anyway) when they had been considered a lock just a few weeks prior by virtually everyone and were a legitimate contender in their conference. An epic meltdown by their team culminating in an even bigger meltdown by their knuckle dragging fan base.

we have had a great year and won a tournament championship. We're still playing and have a good shot at making the round of 16. Iowa has had to sit there and watch that unfold while their team and coach completely fell apart. The flat out jealousy has boiled over at this point and the vocal part of their fan base knows nothing else other than stooping to the lowest common denominator type of internet aggression. They can celebrate Niang's injury all they want. but it doesn't change the fact that our program is where it is and their's is a raging dumpster fire on the verge of another head coaching search. yuck it up Iowa fan boys, it's all you have.

Excellent post. I empathize with my fellow Clone fans that live in Iowa. You are subjected to the constant drone from smug Squawk fans and in-state sports media Squawk worshippers. Brings back unpleasant memories of my childhood and college years. It definitely is easier for us Clone fans that are geographically removed from that.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
What I find is funny about many Iowa fans now is that they are acting more and more like "little brother" than most ISU fans are, or ever did. The obsession, the need to show where they might have something good going, as rare as that is, and the instant attack whenever anything goes bad at ISU.....yet little recognition of what goes right. But the funniest thing is.....they don't even seem to realize they are acting that way. Some of them see it, and even point it out, but most just don't get it.

Hawkdrummer on HN is one of those that you're talking about. He continues to spew out that Iowa is Iowa State's measuring stick and ISU will always be little brother. We've been living rent free in his head so I question who is actually little brother.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
this was supposed to be Iowa's year. We were rebuilding and they returned everyone from their NIT run last year. It was their time to shine. Finally they were going to be able to stick it to ISU fans and throw it in our face how they were better than us, how they did it the right way, and that they were #rising while we were going backwards. The preseason hype was over the top. local media was fellating their program and anointing them final four contenders from day one. They all bought into it...

then, the season actually happened. turns out, pre season hype and telling yourself and everyone who will listen that you're an elite team doesn't mean jack ****. We ripped their hearts out in Ames with some help from Hilton Magic, they lost to nearly any team with a pulse they went up against throughout the season, and down the stretch they collapsed worse than football players after a Chris Doyle led workout. Their fan base started to turn, senior team leaders were telling fans to "suck a fat one", their coach continued to act like the petulant child that he is, and the wheels came totally off. They couldnt even make the NCAA field (the part that matters anyway) when they had been considered a lock just a few weeks prior by virtually everyone and were a legitimate contender in their conference. An epic meltdown by their team culminating in an even bigger meltdown by their knuckle dragging fan base.

we have had a great year and won a tournament championship. We're still playing and have a good shot at making the round of 16. Iowa has had to sit there and watch that unfold while their team and coach completely fell apart. The flat out jealousy has boiled over at this point and the vocal part of their fan base knows nothing else other than stooping to the lowest common denominator type of internet aggression. They can celebrate Niang's injury all they want. but it doesn't change the fact that our program is where it is and their's is a raging dumpster fire on the verge of another head coaching search. yuck it up Iowa fan boys, it's all you have.

For the windmill dunk.

TheBentStick

Aug 15, 2012
Meh, they don't bother me; let them throw poo from their toilet bowl of a basketball program. It's much better to be a one-footed Cyclone than a two-faced Hawkeye.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Excellent post. I empathize with my fellow Clone fans that live in Iowa. You are subjected to the constant drone from smug Squawk fans and in-state sports media Squawk worshippers. Brings back unpleasant memories of my childhood and college years. It definitely is easier for us Clone fans that are geographically removed from that.

Agreed. The amount of love I get for being and Iowa State fan in Indiana is amazing. As a basketball state, they love watching our style and always talk about Fred (he played for the Pace and they remember). CPR even got a lot of respect for "taking it to Texas" after his tirade after the game. I still run into the occasional Hawkeye fan, and they'll usually scream "Go Hawks!" or "Cyclones suck!" at me instead of acknowledging a fellow Iowan, but that's expected. It's just amazing how well respected we actually are, and it'd often be hard to tell inside the state of Iowa.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I just want to post this somewhere.....I was informed yesterday, by an Iowa fan, that woodbury will be a top 15 pick in the NBA draft in 2 years. I had no idea!

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
There are hawk fans using Patrick's diagnosis as "we have the sympathy card over an injury." It's not a contest for adversity dbags. Stop using it like it's a bragging tool...

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I just want to post this somewhere.....I was informed yesterday, by an Iowa fan, that woodbury will be a top 15 pick in the NBA draft in 2 years. I had no idea!

Yes, because lottery picks often times play bad teams and accumulate 0 points and 0 rebounds.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You gotta love a fanbase that is thrilled when a 19 year old kid gets injured, especially when the team he plays for has dominated your team for the last decade and beyond.

ISU has owned Iowa in MBB for a LONG time now, and looks like it will continue as well. So if it gives them a little bit of a rise to wish only the worst for a 19 year old kid that got injured, then so be it. Being little brother is sometimes hard.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I guess the realization is setting in on them that with Fran the team will never be much better then a 7 seed in the tournament if that. He can't recruit and can't coach, Scott Drew is proving to be a better coach than he is. I couldn't tell you a single player that has gotten better under Fran. I'll admit that every once and a while I start feeling bad for them. I have friends and family that are hawk fans, but then some ********* always pops up, and then I get a good laugh from them when they try to explain to me why Iowa didn't care, is still better, or why they somehow got screwed. It's a never ending cycle.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Post of the day.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron