Close game

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Play to your talent. Campbell used a 4-2-5 at Toledo.

We also had coaches make bowl games with a 4 man like. This is about giving us the best chance to win. Look at our Big12 scores over the last 2 years.

The cloud/3 man front thing has been exposed the last two seasons.

I don't know if the 4 man will work but something needs to happen for the D to be more disruptive.

Georgia Cyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 24, 2016
Atlanta area
The Big 12 refs killed us in the first half, but we still only trailed by three at halftime. The third quarter is where the game was lost. Our offense did nothing, but the real surprise is our defense. Our defense usually gets better in the second half. It was a shock how our defense struggled in the second half. I don’t know how we allowed Baylor to go on that 93 yard drive. Very troubling.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The Big 12 refs killed us in the first half, but we still only trailed by three at halftime. The third quarter is where the game was lost. Our offense did nothing, but the real surprise is our defense. Our defense usually gets better in the second half. It was a shock how our defense struggled in the second half. I don’t know how we allowed Baylor to go on that 93 yard drive. Very troubling.

Holy s#§t the refs tossed one of ISU’s best defenders a minute into the game what do you want them to do?

• Dumb
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Even with Bad calls, Iowa State was right there and Baylor has a really good/talented team. They’ll bounce back. A long ways to go in the Big 12
I agree, however, I’m burned out on the inability to win these games. I know my expectations are way too optimistic, but we lose by a score or less a lot - seemingly. I know we will bounce back. My hope is we flip the script.

Reactions: quasistellar

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I like how your profile says "new member" and you joined in 2016. :)

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Wasn't he out quite a bit?

Either way it wasn't like there was inexperience left.
I think it was pretty late in the game when he left. Yeah we have other guys to fill in with experience, but Freyler is probably our best defensive player behind McDonald. Its hard to replace a guy that good.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think it was pretty late in the game when he left. Yeah we have other guys to fill in with experience, but Freyler is probably our best defensive player behind McDonald. Its hard to replace a guy that good.

That I agree with...he's very good at covering the field.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
They were on the field a lot. Pretty sure we only had two or three first downs

Georgia Cyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 24, 2016
Atlanta area
After watching the games today...Iowa State better get their act together or they can expect 10th place in this league. All the teams looked pretty darn good...except ISU. Disappointing day. Good Night.
That is exactly what I have been thinking watching the rest of the Big 12 today. Yes, I know it was only one conference game, but if I had to put together a power ranking of the Big 12 teams after this week I would put Iowa State dead last. I know that there is a lot of football to be played, but that is where we currently sit. Hopefully, we can start to turn things around at Kansas next week.

• Dumb
Reactions: Urbandale2013

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I still need to figure out how much of that was losing Freyler though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The officials had a horrible 1st half. Enough to cost ISU the game.

If ISU wins the 2nd half, we win the game. But Baylor played better on both sides of the ball the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

I think we are seeing a trend with our defense. If the opposing QB makes self induced errors- we look good. But if the opposing QB doesn't make errors (like Baylor today), then out defense has trouble getting off the field.

A few years ago, Coach Heacock make a great decision to go to a 3-3-5 defense. I think opposing teams have adjusted. We just don't make opposing QB's uncomfortable in the pocket. AND there are too many passing and scrambling lanes with 3 DL. Sure blitzing is effective at times, but we need consistent pressure to get in the opposing QB's head.

IMO Heacock needs to pivot and move to a 4-2-5 defense. We have the DL talent with McDonald, Lee, Singleton, Onyedim, Orange, Anderson and Peterson. Also Vance might be an effective DE.

It seems like a 4 man DL could also eliminate double teams that McDonald faces every play. And also allow him to line up on OT's outside shoulder.
Coach Heacock > random message board poster

Reactions: ozzie8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron