Closest P5 comparison to Iowa State?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What other school in the power 5 in your mind most closely represents a direct comparison to Iowa State and it's athletics profile/history/experience, and why?

I'd say NC State and Washington State, but I'm curious what others would say.

Reactions: qwerty

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
There’s a handful I gravitate to. I’m using mixes of this criteria:
- Engineering/Ag/Vet focused
- Shares state with a law/medical/business rival
- Punches above its weight in football
- Decent hoops
- Land grant

NC State, Mississippi State, Oregon State, K State, Oklahoma State, Michigan St, Purdue, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Wazzu, maybe Auburn

Not a perfect science. Some of these have significantly better on-field success than we do, but the student bodies, fanbases, and culture of the schools seem similar

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Going off success in the ap polls:

On the all time AP 25 poll for basketball we sit at 56 with providence being below us and USC being above us if looking at high majors only.

All time football: we come in at 95 with Rutgers being above us and Vanderbilt being below us for power five teams.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The Auburn comparison is intriguing.

It’s tough to make a direct comparison with their football success and SEC $$

But the state dynamics are almost an exact match - AL/Auburn have similar university profiles to UI/ISU. In state rivalry in a state with no pro sports, against fan bases who have more in common than they’d like to admit.

NC State is another good one, but the Duke/NC rivalry throws a wrench into that comparison.

Otherwise, Oregon State, Purdue, OK State, K State are other good ones on the list.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
NCState is a good one also from the research side. The Triangle is an impressive area that they are highly involved in.

Reactions: Die4Cy and MugNight

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Virginia Tech

I lived in the Richmond, VA area and had an Engineering department of appx 40 people. I hired engineers out of Old Dominion, NC State, Virginia Tech and others. VT is very very similar to ISU in a lot of ways.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
The Auburn comparison is intriguing.

It’s tough to make a direct comparison with their football success and SEC $$

But the state dynamics are almost an exact match - AL/Auburn have similar university profiles to UI/ISU. In state rivalry in a state with no pro sports, against fan bases who have more in common than they’d like to admit.

NC State is another good one, but the Duke/NC rivalry throws a wrench into that comparison.

Otherwise, Oregon State, Purdue, OK State, K State are other good ones on the list.
Auburn is known for its engineering/vet med curriculum. They also have a good supply chain management program in the business school, like ISU.

The town in very much centered around the University, with closest “large” city, Montgomery about 45 mins away.

AU always plays Bama tough, but there’s a whole generation of kids and T-shirt fans wearing Crimson these days because of Bama’s dynasty the past 15+ years. That said, Auburn has proud fans and the people wearing blue and orange typically have a family connection to the school. Sound familiar?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Auburn is known for its engineering/vet med curriculum. They also have a good supply chain management program in the business school, like ISU.

The town in very much centered around the University, with closest “large” city, Montgomery about 45 mins away.

AU always plays Bama tough, but there’s a whole generation of kids and T-shirt fans wearing Crimson these days because of Bama’s dynasty the past 15+ years. That said, Auburn has proud fans and the people wearing blue and orange typically have a family connection to the school. Sound familiar?

I've been around Auburn fans, they are very much like our own fanbase.

• Friendly
Reactions: MugNight

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've been around Auburn fans, they are very much like our own fanbase.
images