dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i think a thread, once closed, should show who it was closed by. or the mod should make it a point to post a final message as to why they are closing it before they do.

the Money Reynolds-2nd attempt thread was closed for absolutely no reason. we wanted the first one closed, which was done. i then opened a "2nd attempt" trying to keep on subject. it was then merged with the 1st one and reclosed. not sure by who or why.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
All that was done was a thread was merged with one exactly like it that happened to be closed. The original thread is reopened with your new thread added - there is no need for seventeen threads about the same thing. No harm intended - it's just consolidated.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
even if there is a good reason to close the first one? it had some pretty off topic and useless posts and the good part didnt get there until about post #45. that was the reason to start a new "clean" version.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not to be a **** but when you start a thread that should probably be a PM, usually it gets way off topic quickly.

Edit: And I'm speaking from experience here. My almost 6k posts haven't all been good ones. Most would say roughly 99% haven't been. But here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
All that was done was a thread was merged with one exactly like it that happened to be closed. The original thread is reopened with your new thread added - there is no need for seventeen threads about the same thing. No harm intended - it's just consolidated.

I think that the point was that most felt the original thread should be closed (and deleted, please), because it wandered so far off topic. Wildly off topic--and rather embarassingly so.

In other words, please close and delete it? Pretty please? :notworthy:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
even if there is a good reason to close the first one? it had some pretty off topic and useless posts and the good part didnt get there until about post #45. that was the reason to start a new "clean" version.

I do understand that it's troublesome when useless, redundant, and off-topic posts are made. Sometimes the board self-moderates that type of activity either by calling out the errant poster or by just ignoring stupid posts, but other times those posts are called out and a whole cycle develops. The same happens when we have multiple threads about the same thing. There are times when moderators get involved either to call people back to the topic at hand, or to remove offending posts.

My advice would probably have been to either PM the poster in question in this particular instance or perhaps use the social groups feature - however, reporting posts that are off-topic/in error can also get a moderator involved when sometimes we would let things go. Similarly, PM'ing a mod with whom you feel comfortable will also achieve this end.

Reactions: Cybone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think that the point was that most felt the original thread should be closed (and deleted, please), because it wandered so far off topic. Wildly off topic--and rather embarassingly so.

In other words, please close and delete it? Pretty please? :notworthy:

We very rarely delete entire threads, as that messes up people's post counts (which affect credits). Again, I would probably report the initial post when you see it that starts to drag a thread off-topic and let the mods handle it.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
okay, so since its too late to handle it right the first time...can we fix it? and by we i mean you angie. can you read the thread and delete posts, or just edit them, that can be embarrassing to the board and the university. in particular, it is a thread that recruits may be reading and we dont want a bunch of negativity.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We very rarely delete entire threads, as that messes up people's post counts (which affect credits). Again, I would probably report the initial post when you see it that starts to drag a thread off-topic and let the mods handle it.

Thanks, Ang. I get the feeling we all would have happily given up credits it it meant we were risking a shot at a certain recruit. I'd almost even get the impression that his brother visits occasionally, and perhaps when he does even does searches for threads with two particular words in the thread title. :wink:

Reactions: Angie and dinger

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

There have been threads about a certain topic that have been getting deleted the past couple of days.

I think it would be a better idea to close the thread and post a reason as to why it is a subject that is not to be discussed, rather than deleting the thread entirely and leaving those of us who posted (or were in the process of posting to) in them to wonder why its an issue to be talking about said subject.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
There have been threads about a certain topic that have been getting deleted the past couple of days.

I think it would be a better idea to close the thread and post a reason as to why it is a subject that is not to be discussed, rather than deleting the thread entirely and leaving those of us who posted (or were in the process of posting to) in them to wonder why its an issue to be talking about said subject.

In this particular case, we're not going to let a baseless rumor continually be posted. The entire mod team has discussed this - we are not going to let that thread exist on the board. It has no proof, and will do nothing but cause troubles (as has been the intention by the posters of it). If you have any questions on it, please PM a mod.

Reactions: HILLCYD