CMC on Smoke On The Water

Clonefan34

May 16, 2016
I would say most of us that watched it back when we were teenagers and are now way past 23 think it's lame as well. I just like idea of something different.

And I don't see a lot of people on here thinking they're cool, but I do see a few "get off my lawn" old codgers.
Playing WWE theme songs from the 90's is basically the same thing as smoke on the water. We should go with a recent song.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Will we play fake football after our fake wrestling entrance song?

Sorry for those who just learned that WWE is fake.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Just so we're clear, Smoke on the Water sucked because it was flat and never built to anything, which is pretty much the only requirement for an entrance song.

Also, we lost a ton while it was played so people are less tolerant of peripherals.

WWE itself is cheesy and over the top and I don't watch it, but the entrances are undeniably awesome as far as entrances go.

Also, Rhoads never changing it with a stubborn reliance on "tradition" was very on brand for the Rhoads era.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just so we're clear, Smoke on the Water sucked because it was flat and never built to anything, which is pretty much the only requirement for an entrance song.

Also, we lost a ton while it was played so people are less tolerant of peripherals.

WWE itself is cheesy and over the top and I don't watch it, but the entrances are undeniably awesome as far as entrances go.

Also, Rhoads never changing it with a stubborn reliance on "tradition" was very on brand for the Rhoads era.

Rhoads said that he wasn't involved in picking the entrance music. I'm not sure that I believe him, but there is evidence of problems with the overall in-stadium experience that points away from him. It may be that someone asked him what his favorite song was. When he said "Smoke on the Water," they locked in on it. Having said that, Rhoads could have insisted that it be changed, but he didn't.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
These threads always help me realize how awful of musical taste so many people have.

It's really not any different than the uniform threads.

Most of the men in those threads can't dress themselves and look decent. And they are going to choose our uniforms. Goodness.

Just like uniforms there are some things to pay attention to when choosing a song:

1. rock or rap (hip hop) can work
2. Is crowd involvement such as clapping on the wish list? If so, anything with a slow beat is out! It also eliminates most rock songs.
3. If crowd involvement isn't a priority then rock songs can work but what hasn't been done already that doesn't suck?
4. Another factor is appealing to recruits.

My ideal intro for Iowa state is adding glass from the current tunnel all the way up to the edge of the field. Pump fog at their feet as they walk through the glass tunnel and have some good rock or hip hop to finish it.

unique entrance and cheap! They also can make the walkway easy to use by putting doors on the end heading to jacobsen. No loss of mobility in the area.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My ideal intro for Iowa state is adding glass from the current tunnel all the way up to the edge of the field. Pump fog at their feet as they walk through the glass tunnel and have some good rock or hip hop to finish it.

Apparently you don't remember this.

[video=youtube;wd-RvQbf220]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-RvQbf220[/video]

Can you imagine if the smoke was contained in a glass tunnel?

dshindy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2014
Johnston
1) Slipknot - Before I Forget. I am not a huge fan of Slipknot, but obvious local connection, and has the right uptempo guitar and drum to start out.

Haven't listened to this since HS football senior year. Great suggestion. Intro would be perfect.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently you don't remember this.

[video=youtube;wd-RvQbf220]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-RvQbf220[/video]

Can you imagine if the smoke was contained in a glass tunnel?

Yes I can and it's not hard to just pump a little that stays low. The problem with your video is they are trying to hide people through the fog.

That's the opposite of what I want. Not hard to do at all and the key is that it is unique. God everyone runs through smoke.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes I can and it's not hard to just pump a little that stays low. The problem with your video is they are trying to hide people through the fog.

That's the opposite of what I want. Not hard to do at all and the key is that it is unique. God everyone runs through smoke.

If you truly do smoke, then you can't really control it and keep it low. If you do fog because you want it to stay low, you need to use dry ice and you don't want to do that in a small enclosed space because you will have players passing out if they have to wait too long.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I think good entrance songs can come from different genres...WWE, Rap, Rock, Heavy Metal.....whatever

Smoke on the Water is for baby boomers who are half-way through a few bong hits

Rhoads and his hardhat, hard-headed mentality and subsequent refusal to win more than 3 games/yr, was his downfall.

Good golly this new staff is a breath of fresh air. I'm completely impressed so far

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think good entrance songs can come from different genres...WWE, Rap, Rock, Heavy Metal.....whatever

Smoke on the Water is for baby boomers who are half-way through a few bong hits

Rhoads and his hardhat, head-headed mentally and subsequent refusal to win more than 3 games/yr, was his downfall.

Good golly this new staff is a breath of fresh air. I'm completely impressed thus far

No kidding. Too many people hold schools like virtually every SEC school, Texas, and other "traditional" schools on too high of a pedestal when they think ISU should emulate their formula for success - the whole "tradition" and "winning breeds winning" mentality, where gimmicks such as music and 100 different uniform combinations is frowned upon in favor of doing things the way they were done in the '70s and '80s. Guess what? If we were one of those traditional schools, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now because we'd probably be good in football already without it. Unfortunately, "tradition" at ISU is **** football. "Tradition" is never going to work at ISU. Might as well separate ourselves from the pack and do the other things, gimmicks like music and 100s of uniforms, that put attention on us and give us a chance to pull recruits we ordinarily wouldn't have been able to. I mean - it's not like the "tradition" gimmick has been working at all since Chizik and Rhoads have championed it for the last decade.

Help Support Us

Become a patron