Coach Campbell comparison to Rich Rod

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
"We won a lot of games with Rich Rodriguez. He is a guy who changed college football and never gets credit for it. Whenever he ended up at Michigan, we knew it wasn't going to work at Michigan. There was no way it was going to work at Michigan just because we had been to practice with him, workouts with him, and meetings with him, and we were kids that didn't have other scholarships sitting in a deck. Michigan kids all got options. Whenever Rich went up there, we knew it probably wasn't the same type of grit in that locker room or guys that were like 'oh I'm not going to do this, I'm going to go somewhere else,' and that happened."

-Pat McAfee

This is why I feel Coach Campbell should and does stay at ISU for longer than some may think. Getting NFL guys or a team full of 4/5 star guys to buy into the process would be difficult. Maybe that’s a challenge CMC wants to tackle. I think his history of choosing culture (Mount Union) over the name on a jersey (Pitt) suggests his heart is in Ames for a while.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
"We won a lot of games with Rich Rodriguez. He is a guy who changed college football and never gets credit for it. Whenever he ended up at Michigan, we knew it wasn't going to work at Michigan. There was no way it was going to work at Michigan just because we had been to practice with him, workouts with him, and meetings with him, and we were kids that didn't have other scholarships sitting in a deck. Michigan kids all got options. Whenever Rich went up there, we knew it probably wasn't the same type of grit in that locker room or guys that were like 'oh I'm not going to do this, I'm going to go somewhere else,' and that happened."

-Pat McAfee

This is why I feel Coach Campbell should and does stay at ISU for longer than some may think. Getting NFL guys or a team full of 4/5 star guys to buy into the process would be difficult. Maybe that’s a challenge CMC wants to tackle. I think his history of choosing culture (Mount Union) over the name on a jersey (Pitt) suggests his heart is in Ames for a while.
I think the message that Campbell has expressed here, is one that would resonate better with less heralded recruits than highly ranked ones. But that doesn't mean that it's the only arrow in his quiver. You choose the right tool for the job. And at Iowa State, that has been playing the "process" card. As a good coach, and motivator, I'm sure Campbell would have other techniques given the situation. He'll need them even if he stays at ISU for life.

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
I think the message that Campbell has expressed here, is one that would resonate better with less heralded recruits than highly ranked ones. But that doesn't mean that it's the only arrow in his quiver. You choose the right tool for the job. And at Iowa State, that has been playing the "process" card. As a good coach, and motivator, I'm sure Campbell would have other techniques given the situation. He'll need them even if he stays at ISU for life.

I agree, definitely not out of the realm of possibility for him to want to accept the challenges a blue blood or NFL job would entail. And I am certainly not saying he couldn’t do it. For whatever reason I feel like his heart is at ISU and it would take one hell of an opportunity to pull him away.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

-Pat McAfee

I think some of the you have to earn it every day stuff does not sell well to gifted athletes. They are better than the other guys, so when it comes time to play they just take it up a notch. It has always worked for them in the past.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think some of the you have to earn it every day stuff does not sell well to gifted athletes. They are better than the other guys, so when it comes time to play they just take it up a notch. It has always worked for them in the past.
Yup! They have never put in the hard work and when faced with adversity, they crumble. That's what happens when you always get what you want and then someone tells you you're not good enough. You quit.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Matt Campbell is driven to prove everyone wrong. At least that’s what he says, so if he left right now that would prove him a liar and I don’t think he is one.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
He was unprepared for his post game speech. That is awesome. Seems like he gives 110% attention to the game and players. His staff and players see that and also give 110%.

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
I met Richy Rod on a recruiting trip to Michigan. Richy Rod wouldn't qualify to be a pimple on CMC's arse!

While I have never met Rich Rodriguez, I would not argue with you on that. The title may be misleading. The point was that I feel Coach Campbell’s model of a program works better at ISU than it would a blue blood program. Same as Rich Rod’s model worked better at WVU than it did at Michigan.

Reactions: tolfbfan and cyputz

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I remember another P5 coach talking about this years ago during some of their really good years. He talked about how they had built the program on 3* players and a blue collar culture. But as they started winning, now they had access to 4 and 5* talent which they jumped at. However, it was a detriment to their program because it didn’t jive with the culture they had built and it was reflected in their on the field results.

Reactions: tigerclone924

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Good point, but with plenty of high profile exceptions. Brock Purdy, Breece Hall, Chase Allen, Charlie Kolar, etc. had plenty of good options at other schools.

Our other Four Star player, Jirehl Brock seems to have bought into Five Star Culture, even with limited time on the field.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Its not that CMC's process won't work at a blueblood, because it will. It is a set of fundamental principles that would work with anything you do. The issue is that the Nebraskas, Texas and Michigans won't allow it to be implemented. It takes a rebuild, many college teams won't give the time for a rebuild. I will give Michigan credit that they are allowing harbaugh time right now. You need to be willing to clean the trash and tidy the ship before or during the time that you implement the steps.

It is easier at an ISU when you don't have the 4 and 5 star recruits that refuse to buy in and fight the steps. You then need to bring in your style of people and hope the rotten apples that are already there don't damage them in the process. Sometimes it requires nearly a complete house cleaning. This is the issue with the bluebloods. CMC process is similar to Sabans, and I would say Bama is a blueblood.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Somewhat appurtenant to this is the question of how true to his recruiting philosophy he could be at a big school. He has an obvious ability to identify talent outside of the 5 and often times 4 star ranks. He seems to prioritize attitude and work ethic above all else.

He's found absolute gems out of 3 star players. But we all know this wont play at Michigan, Texas, etc. So the question somewhat becomes how willing he is to have to "win" in two different arenas--recruiting and games.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do not think it is so simple as all 4* and 5* recruits are automatically entitled, nor do I think all 3* guys (who are still going to be the best player on their high school team, in their conference, and one of the best players in their state in most instances) are all "lunch-pail" types. To use one of those hilariously awful announcer clichés. I think what helps Campbell is being able to see what talent is going to fit in and what talent might pose a net problem.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I do not think it is so simple as all 4* and 5* recruits are automatically entitled, nor do I think all 3* guys (who are still going to be the best player on their high school team, in their conference, and one of the best players in their state in most instances) are all "lunch-pail" types. To use one of those hilariously awful announcer clichés. I think what helps Campbell is being able to see what talent is going to fit in and what talent might pose a net problem.

I think that’s the bigger thing. Obviously Campbell would want 4 and 5 star talent if they’re willing to fit into the culture. And it’s not so much “will they fit with Campbell wants to do”. I mean, does anyone really think it’s Campbell’s plan to run 3 TEs on the field at the same time? I don’t - I think he does it because that’s what he has and he’s doing to use the oddity to his advantage.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Some school are just cancerous at this point until they let someone completely come in and do it their way. Saban, Meyer, and Dabo would get the leash to do it at places like Michigan, Texas, USC, but that’s it and that’s the problem with those schools. The behind the scenes stuff dictates most everything to the detriment of the in field success. Campbell could absolutely kill it at a place like Texas but it would take a while and the donors and admin wouldn’t accept that. The culture we are in is so immediate that change isn’t allowed to happen, instead is just hoped to change with a new coach. Good things take time to establish. Apple wasn’t Apple of today in 3 ******* years, it took decades to be a powerhouse.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I think that’s the bigger thing. Obviously Campbell would want 4 and 5 star talent if they’re willing to fit into the culture. And it’s not so much “will they fit with Campbell wants to do”. I mean, does anyone really think it’s Campbell’s plan to run 3 TEs on the field at the same time? I don’t - I think he does it because that’s what he has and he’s doing to use the oddity to his advantage.
One of the strengths of Campbell's tenure at ISU thus far is scheming to the strengths of his roster. The three tight end sets on offense are one aspect of this. Heacock's defensive scheme was in part developed around getting our best players on the field at the same time. It just so happened to work so well it's now being copied around college football.

This is a very big reason why Campbell was able to turn the program around so quickly. A typical rebuild often takes 3+ years because a coach has to get "his" recruits before their system can be run effectively. Campbell and Co have done a phenomenal job of scheming to the strengths of the roster they have at the moment.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I remember another P5 coach talking about this years ago during some of their really good years. He talked about how they had built the program on 3* players and a blue collar culture. But as they started winning, now they had access to 4 and 5 * talent which they jumped at. However, it was a detriment to their program because it didn’t jive with the culture they had built and it was reflected in their on the field results.
Could be true. That girl is a 10, I want to date them even if alittle entitled. When a more selfless 8 would of been a much better partner. So, find the 4 and 5 stars who will fit the culture and tell the rest no thank you. I think it can work if a staff does not let the glamor of a high rating blind them.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe