Coach Dean Smith dies at 83

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
He was first-class no doubt! I hated on UNC growing up mostly because they were always so good! But Coach Smith was a very good person and a very good coach! He did the things that Adolph Rupp wouldn't do...and was a better person for doing so!

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
The North Carolina (Jordan, Worthy, & Perkins)/Georgetown (Floyd, Ewing) national championship game was one of the games that got me watching college basketball.

R.I.P. Dean

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
Wut? Coach Snyder might have been a better comparison, without all the JUCO's.

Dean Smith coached UNC for 36 straight seasons and won 2 national championships. Generally viewed as a class act. Snyder is a class act but not even close on the other two.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I could be mistaken, but I think the academic scandal at UNC (the biggest academic scandal in NCAA history ) went back to Dean Smith's tenure.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Dean Smith coached UNC for 36 straight seasons and won 2 national championships. Generally viewed as a class act. Snyder is a class act but not even close on the other two.

Eh. Getting KSU to where it is with Snyder is every bit as much of an accomplishment as winning 2 national championships at UNC. UNC was already elite before dean smith, winning a title just a few years prior (and winning the ACC 5 of 6 prior years). KSU was one of the worst programs in the country.