Coach Dresser - CEO

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I remember seeing an article when Dresser was first hired at ISU where he was described as a "CEO-type" coach (maybe he described himself in that way). I didn't realize at the time how important that was for this program and how badly ISU needed this type of an individual as the head coach.

Jackson was a great instructor of technique, but watching Dresser's rebuild further emphasizes, to me, that KJ was not ready to head up a division 1 program like Iowa St. Loved the guy and knew he was passionate for Cyclone wrestling, but he was the wrong hire.

In 2+ years on the job, Dresser has changed the culture in the wrestling room, marketed the hell out of the program, hired a top-notch staff, and made incredible strides in developing and funding the RTC. Confirms the importance of having a visionary coach lead this program at this time. I knew he was a good coach, but didn't realize that his strength may actually be in his vision and leadership of the program as a whole, rather than his on-the-mat coaching.

With the announcement of Delgado coming on board as a resident athlete, it's just another sign of progress being made towards the Cyclones getting back into the top tier of wrestling programs.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Having coached college wrestling at the club level, I would agree that this sort of focus is long-run beneficial. Too many people think that wrestling HC needs to be "on the mat" running practices, but the reality is that long-term success takes a lot more effort in tasks that are largely administrative, and nobody really has the capacity to do it all right - so you bring in people that can fill in your gaps in the best ways. When this doesn't work is when you have an unsupportive administration, and/or assistant coaches / parents / boosters who don't understand this long term strategy (these are why I'm not coaching anymore). Thankfully ISU has been very supportive, and with some minor staffing adjustments (e.g. Zadick leaving, possibly) he has kept everyone on the same page.

Excited to see where this program is going.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron