Coach Easley leaving

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Easley did miss a game this year due to his father getting sick. I certainly do not think that is the main reason (I would have expected something said in the press release, or a leave of absence if it was for that), but it may be a factor.

His father passed away around that time. Might have been the day of or day after that game.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
EVERYTHING this season concerning ISU WBB and BF (ESPN, Fox TV Coverage, DSM Register, Ames Trib) have related to BF and his family. I doubt that this hire, with his well publicized desire to coach with his sons, will lead to anyone other than Billy. Also then look for Steven to move into Billy's position.

FWIW, I think that Billy could handle the recruiting duties since he appears to have very good communication skills (from listening to his many times on the radio) and could share the positive qualities of his Dad and the program better than most. My concern would be with the evaluation of talent and coaching duties since he has NEVER recruited or coached for a second!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
It was brought up at Hoopscoop that UMKC's head coach has resigned to become Associate Head Coach at OSU, and given that Easley is from that area he might be interested in chasing that opening.

Easley might be a good pick for UMKC. They need someone who knows what he/she is doing, can recruit local kids, but has contacts for others, AND won't jump for the next job at the first whiff that they might be a good coach. Story of low-majors.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
might be that Steyer gets promoted to Assoc. Head Coach and Billy becomes an assistant. My preference is for new blood, but I am not BF or JP.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
might be that Steyer gets promoted to Assoc. Head Coach and Billy becomes an assistant. My preference is for new blood, but I am not BF or JP.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Steyer seemed to have become the most valued of the asst. and I do not think the BF would pass up this opportunity for Billy since he does not know when another opening would occur.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
There are several coaching staffs who will be looking for jobs including Auburn, Illinois, Texas, Mississippi, and Mississippi State so lots of quality assistants available.

I know nothing, so personal opinion only - I agree with the sentiment that someone from another successful program would be best - that might take the luster off someone from the named schools. Billy and Lyndsey might have been better served getting more experience in other major programs before coming home. Lyndsey's experience with Point Guard U is attractive and Moody might benefit from a crash course, but, children following parents at the same U have issues. Knight, Sutton come to mind. They need to prove themselves first. ]

While Bill retains responsibility, an outsider will have to be given authority - but, having an idea different from Bill's might not be the easiest thing. I don't know what kind of money other major programs pay assistants, but, hopefully we can compete.

We need to up our recruiting - lower programs get better classes. Ultimately, the level of the recruit class is going to influence the performance. We ought to, at least, be getting a few top 100's every year.

Coach Easley seems to be a great person with lots of basketball knowledge. He'll make a good headcoach.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting.

When I watched Linn-Mar play a regional final in Tipton when Kiah Stokes was a junior, she was Texas' representative at the game.

A night out with my buddies - HoopScoop Forums

I remember your thread on that, mostly because someone posted that they thought Sherri was a "hot mess" because of her wild hair in those pictures. Reviewing the pictures again, I have to be a dirty old man and agree. :smile:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Promoting Jodi isn’t something I think people should be opposed to but just moving his son up or hiring his daughter-in-law would be a disaster IMO. To me it would indicate that Bill thinks he is bigger than the program he has built which is something I do not want to see. We need some new blood and some changes, not more nepotism.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Agreed - it would be a travesty to the ISU fan base for Bill to simply promote his son. ISU is not a mid-major school. We are a Big 12 perennial NCAA participant. The coaching jobs should be treated as such. Hiring family would be a huge sham.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I think you will see a female added to the staff to replace Jack. Billy has no game coaching experience as an assistant coach. He was an Admin. Asst. at Maryland and Director of BBall Ops at Northwestern.

He has never recruited, and the last thing we need is someone who has never recruited in the B12.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Bill strongly hinted that changes needed to made in his post-game press conference on Saturday, promoting family members or current staff members would not constitute sufficient change in my opinion.

The press conference did raise some eyebrows. Wasn't entirely sure what he was referring to. Bill certainly isn't a quitter but I can't say him resigning didn't cross my mind.

He mentioned a few times that they worked on breaking the GB press in practice but it wasn't executed during the game. He placed the blame on the coaching not being effective and not in the players laps. He's never been one to shy away from accountability and it did make me wonder if staff changes and/or coaching philosophy changes weren't on the way.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
To save his voice, BF isn't going to the Final Four - perhaps he missed the coaches' meeting as well. This might limit his opportunity to contact potential assistants. Jodi is there. Any information on the search?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I'm curious about something.

Recently, in Iowa City, a pretty big stink was raised ( and is still going on) about KF hiring his son Brian as Offensive Line coach because the Regents and the Universities have rules about nepotism, and relatives serving in a supervisory role over relatives. So how does BF get around that now, and how would he get around it with his son?

In Iowa City, they set it up that Barta actually supervises KF's son, which of course is a sham, but let's face it it is Iowa. He was one of like 200 that applied, and of course the other applicants' names cannot be released, even though Iowa's own policies seem to allow for that.

Anyway......how is BF's son's employment handled now, and how would he get around this?

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I'm curious about something.

Recently, in Iowa City, a pretty big stink was raised ( and is still going on) about KF hiring his son Brian as Offensive Line coach because the Regents and the Universities have rules about nepotism, and relatives serving in a supervisory role over relatives. So how does BF get around that now, and how would he get around it with his son?

In Iowa City, they set it up that Barta actually supervises KF's son, which of course is a sham, but let's face it it is Iowa. He was one of like 200 that applied, and of course the other applicants' names cannot be released, even though Iowa's own policies seem to allow for that.

Anyway......how is BF's son's employment handled now, and how would he get around this?

You may think it is a sham, but it has been done at Iowa State in academic depts., so I don't know why it would not be workable in the athletic dept., too.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
You may think it is a sham, but it has been done at Iowa State in academic depts., so I don't know why it would not be workable in the athletic dept., too.

The sham part is thinking that Barta will actually be the direct supervisor of KF's son. Does anyone actually believe that? So during the game if KF wants to yell at his offensive line coach, he is going to go thru Barta first? Come on. It is avoided so as to avoid favoritism or the appearance of it to the other employees or to the public. IMO, they have failed miserably with that in Iowa City with the football program.

I worked at ISU for 12 years and saw situations where relatives worked in different sections of a department and avoided direct supervision by a relative. It was rare, and quite honestly, not often worth the hassle. I don't see how that happens between a head coach and assistant coaches on a practical basis. At ISU or anywhere.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Green bay has some quality assistants to look at

Looks like his top assistant is a strong candidate for UWGB, or will end up at Illinois with Bollant. I would venture to say if the top assistant is hire at UWGB, he will retain the other assistants, or they will join Bollant at Illinois.

We won't hear anything on the ISU opening until at least April 5th when the posting expires.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
The sham part is thinking that Barta will actually be the direct supervisor of KF's son. Does anyone actually believe that? So during the game if KF wants to yell at his offensive line coach, he is going to go thru Barta first? Come on. It is avoided so as to avoid favoritism or the appearance of it to the other employees or to the public. IMO, they have failed miserably with that in Iowa City with the football program.

I worked at ISU for 12 years and saw situations where relatives worked in different sections of a department and avoided direct supervision by a relative. It was rare, and quite honestly, not often worth the hassle. I don't see how that happens between a head coach and assistant coaches on a practical basis. At ISU or anywhere.

I think it would work only with a third party doing the evaluation and the salary adjustments. That is how it worked in my experience. Say, for ex., a woman was the dept chair and her husband was a faculty member under her. The dean (or associate dean, etc.) would do the evaluation and salary adjustment for the husband, thus avoiding, at least on paper, the legal hassles. Can't say how well it would work with the athletic dept., but it would be doable.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
So I am sure all of you think Wally's son should not have been hired to coach d-line?