Coach Hayden Fry Passes Away at age 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
If you are thinking of NCAA sanctions, that would be Criner, but no, his chumminess with a hawkeye heavy board of regents led Iowa State to be an afterthought when it came to funding. Neither team was even close to self reliability then.
Just saying Duncan was the catalyst for ISU's demise on the field....Bruce left the guy a talented team and by the time Duncan left didn't maintain.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: aauummm and Lineup

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
People forget that when Fry took over at Iowa, ISU had a very good football program. Majors and then Bruce had things rolling. I think Fry knew with the small amount of D1 talent in state he had to try and corner that market. Like I posted earlier....Duncan had just as much to do with ISU's "demise" as Fry. Bruce left Duncan a full cupboard....his first team was ranked pre-season and I believe was ranked top 10 for a minute after a win against Missou.....

Anyway, Duncan sucked....tried to recruit like his mentor Barry Switzer....didn't value keeping in-state talent and when he left the cupboard was bare.

Fry's passing makes me feel old....appreciate the classy remarks in this thread.

Majors' career W/L at ISU: 9-25
Bruce's career W/L at ISU: 18-24

If you call that rolling, well.........I don't know what to tell you.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I will say that I always admired Fry. He hired coaches who went on to have success leading their own programs, which explains a great deal of the success Fry had. He was passionate, entertaining, a real winner.

My only criticism of him would be his tendency to pile it on when he played Iowa State. But there's the old expression: If you don't like it, do something about it. ISU simply couldn't do anything about it in those days.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Just saying Duncan was the catalyst for ISU's demise on the field....Bruce left the guy a talented team and by the time Duncan left didn't maintain.
Duncan left to become AD at Oklahoma, he kept the talent level Bruce had, he just wasn't a good coach.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
People forget that when Fry took over at Iowa, ISU had a very good football program. Majors and then Bruce had things rolling. I think Fry knew with the small amount of D1 talent in state he had to try and corner that market. Like I posted earlier....Duncan had just as much to do with ISU's "demise" as Fry. Bruce left Duncan a full cupboard....his first team was ranked pre-season and I believe was ranked top 10 for a minute after a win against Missou.....

Anyway, Duncan sucked....tried to recruit like his mentor Barry Switzer....didn't value keeping in-state talent and when he left the cupboard was bare.

Fry's passing makes me feel old....appreciate the classy remarks in this thread.

Agreed and good points.

It's crazy to think besides maybe now, ISU's best football days were in the 70s and unfortunately there were little bowl games to go around. I would have done a lot of what Fry tried and did do to get a program back on it's feet.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Agreed and good points.

It's crazy to think besides maybe now, ISU's best football days were in the 70s and unfortunately there were little bowl games to go around. I would have done a lot of what Fry tried and did do to get a program back on it's feet.
An argument can be made that 8-3 Bruce team that didn't go to a bowl was his best. If they had won their last game against OsU they would have gone to the orange bowl. Pretty much a crime that team didn't get a bowl.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Agreed and good points.

ANF is said to have been his idea. Was a ploy to ensure that farmers supported Iowa. Little did they know, it actually stood for America Needs Fry

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you are thinking of NCAA sanctions, that would be Criner, but no, his chumminess with a hawkeye heavy board of regents led Iowa State to be an afterthought when it came to funding. Neither team was even close to self reliability then.

Then throw on top of that Pomerantz doing everything he could to make ISU and UNI satellite campuses of Iowa. Shut down any competing degrees and base everything off Iowa’s coursework. Think about that, he wanted to level most of the STEM stuff at ISU in favor of Iowa’s.

Made sure tuition was the same at all three, but Iowa, still currently does, receive more funding per student than ISU or UNI and Iowa has the lowest percentage of instate students. Meaning we are subsidized out of state students at a higher rate than instate. Our tax dollars at work.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
An argument can be made that 8-3 Bruce team that didn't go to a bowl was his best. If they had won their last game against OsU they would have gone to the orange bowl. Pretty much a crime that team didn't get a bowl.

There were only a few bowls back then. With the plethora of bowls today, bids get handed out like participation ribbons.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The best thing you can do in any leadership position is to surround yourself with good employees and Fry obviously did that at Iowa. And it makes you better when you want them to leave because you know they can succeed and forge their own path, and he did that.
Hearing Snyder or Kirk talk about him you know he obviously valued and respected them as assistants and competitors.

There's been a lot of talk on here lately about Jamie and I actually think some of Hayden's personality went thru Barry and then onto Jamie. You've got to bark a little louder sometimes when you aren't the biggest dog.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Must have been an amazing salesman. Always wondered how he convinced Andre Tippett to become a Hawkeye. Tippett was a highly rated prospect from New Jersey and Iowa was a dumpster fire.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Must have been an amazing salesman. Always wondered how he convinced Andre Tippett to become a Hawkeye. Tippett was a highly rated prospect from New Jersey and Iowa was a dumpster fire.
Coach Mac got a certain stud defensive player to come to a dumpster fire. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.