Coach Rhoads

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The thing I love about him is that he is not wishy washy. He came here to win and by god, he is gonna do it. That is the impression he gives. I loved that he said there are no moral victories. That is how you change a culture. You leave no options but to get better and win. At the same time he acknowledges that we are improving, but leaves so much room for improvement. I like this guy. I hope he is indeed here for the long haul. He could be the next great coach at ISU and if he does the right things, he will be an ISU icon.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm loving everything he's shown us thus far. 1st year coaching catastrophe moments (Chizik)? Not for CPR!

I also fully believe he will take us to new heights. And just because we have a tough schedule the next two years, doesn't mean we can't shake things up in the Big 12. Next year could be big with nearly all offensive playmakers back. We need to find a defense and then we're in business. The offense should be clicking well by then.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm loving everything he's shown us thus far. 1st year coaching catastrophe moments (Chizik)? Not for CPR!

I also fully believe he will take us to new heights. And just because we have a tough schedule the next two years, doesn't mean we can't shake things up in the Big 12. Next year could be big with nearly all offensive playmakers back. We need to find a defense and then we're in business. The offense should be clicking well by then.

Our offense will be able to keep us in games, but we NEED to add two more David Sims type Impact players to make our defense serviceable.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Interesting choice of words. Nick Saban, when he first came to LSU, used to talk about what he called a "catastrophe syndrome" that occurred when something bad happened and everyone began fretting. His mantra is learn from the last play and focus on beating your man on the next play...period.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They need to be defensive linemen - good ones.

Rashawn Parker is gonna be back. I see his situation very similar to Tyson Smith being a somewhat unherladed anchor of the 2004 Defense. 2003 sucked, but we got a great player/leader back the next fall that made a big impact. I think the same could happen with Rashawn. If guys like Maggit, Laing, Bailey Johnson, etc develop over the course of this year, and we find a stud JUCO lineman, we could be in business on that side of the ball.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Rashawn Parker is gonna be back. I see his situation very similar to Tyson Smith being a somewhat unherladed anchor of the 2004 Defense. 2003 sucked, but we got a great player/leader back the next fall that made a big impact. I think the same could happen with Rashawn. If guys like Maggit, Laing, Bailey Johnson, etc develop over the course of this year, and we find a stud JUCO lineman, we could be in business on that side of the ball.

I heard somewhere that Parker isn't even going to apply for the medical redshirt. Granted, it was a rumor, but can anyone shed any light on this?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I like what CPR has done so far. The key is beating Baylor this weekend and then picking off a couple more teams, testing the rest. We have see the big step back by Chizik's teams and DMac's team in the past. They look really good one week against a good team and then flounder the next week against a weaker team. If this team can avoid that CPR has done a great job in his first year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I heard somewhere that Parker isn't even going to apply for the medical redshirt. Granted, it was a rumor, but can anyone shed any light on this?

I believe Coach Rhoads stated that he and Money were both going to apply for them, and we did hear that Money got his for sure. I would assume that Parker would also get his.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Hopefully that's the case. That would be a big boost to the D-line if Parker could come back. Assuming he fully recovers, it would still probably take him until mid-season before he gets back to game speed/strength on that leg.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I believe Coach Rhoads stated that he and Money were both going to apply for them, and we did hear that Money got his for sure. I would assume that Parker would also get his.

I don't think Money can even apply for his until he finishes his eligibility, which would be at the end of next year.

Parker can apply for his now since his year is done and he is a senior.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Coach Rhoads has already proven himself to be a great ambassador for ISU. I am truly excited for what I think he will accomplish here.

It is such a different feel from when Chizik was here. Don't get me wrong, I was excited about the possibilities when Chizzy was here, but there was always a feeling of nervousness about his style and intentions during his tenure. I do not have those feelings with Rhoads. I think we got it right this time!

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
In my opinion Paul Rhodes IS the right coach for this team! He has these guys believing that they can win! We are not blessed with the best talent (and I would not give these guys up for nothing) but his presence and their respect for Coach Rhodes and his staff is HUGE!

I cannot wait until he puts together a 'full recruiting year' to prove that this is where he needs to be!

Any thoughts?

clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
Just think, if he wins one more game his first year record will be better than McCarney or Chizik. Definitely seems to have a better idea of how to lead a team not laden with pure talent. i.e. Texas or Auburn (Chizik). He doesn't make excuses and doesn't say after every lose that next week is the beginning of another season (McCarney) , every game is our season.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
I like what you said there clone99...I like the 'no excuses policy' Coach Rhodes has too.

Here's food for thought for everyone!

First year coaches from Clay Stapelton to Paul Rhodes:

Clay Stapelton 4-8 (1958)
Johnny Majors 3-7 (1968)
Earle Bruce 4-7 (1973)
Donnie Duncan 3-8 (1979)
Jim Criner 4-7 (1983)
Jim Walden 3-8 (1987)
Dan McCarney 3-8 (1995)
Gene Chizik 3-9 (2007)
Paul Rhodes 3-3 so far...???

You have to go way back to 1931 for the last time a first year Cyclone coach to win more than 4 games his first year...Georger Veenker finished the season at 5 -3!

With a little luck we can make that happen again.

I remember what former Oklahoma Coach Barry Switzer once told me..."You, as a team create your own luck...because nobody else will."

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't think Money can even apply for his until he finishes his eligibility, which would be at the end of next year.

Parker can apply for his now since his year is done and he is a senior.

Money already has gotten his medical redshirt. We got this info from TheCity, which I consider to be about as good as it get's when it come's to Money Reynolds information. I think you are thinking of the medical hardship extra year of eligibility for someone who has already used a redshirt and wants a 6th year.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I like what you said there clone99...I like the 'no excuses policy' Coach Rhodes has too.

Here's food for thought for everyone!

First year coaches from Clay Stapelton to Paul Rhodes:

Clay Stapelton 4-8 (1958)
Johnny Majors 3-7 (1968)
Earle Bruce 4-7 (1973)
Donnie Duncan 3-8 (1979)
Jim Criner 4-7 (1983)
Jim Walden 3-8 (1987)
Dan McCarney 3-8 (1995)
Gene Chizik 3-9 (2007)
Paul Rhodes 3-3 so far...???

You have to go way back to 1931 for the last time a first year Cyclone coach to win more than 4 games his first year...Georger Veenker finished the season at 5 -3!

With a little luck we can make that happen again.

I remember what former Oklahoma Coach Barry Switzer once told me..."You, as a team create your own luck...because nobody else will."

Am I to conclude that Jim Criner was a better coach than Johnny Majors or Dan McCarney?