Coaching Candidates - Tommy Birch (DMRegister)

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Don't really know much about any of them except Troy and Kish

Where is all the Edinboro guys from a couple years ago. Schopp at SDSU, Habat or Port anywhere?
Looks like Port is an assistant at Edinboro and can't find anything recent on Habat. He wrestled for Slovenia at Worlds in 2015 but couldn't find anything else really.

ajbjunior

Feb 4, 2007
Can't speak for everybody but I feel pretty confident in saying the majority of us want Dresser if he's interested. Popolizio has been discussed here a decent amount as well. If we can't get either of them, I really think Bono is a good choice based on what he's done at SDSU. Who are some other guys with head coaching experience that you think we have a good chance of getting? I know you were just responding to Birch's list but I'm genuinely curious and looking to generate more discussion.

This is where I'm at. The only thing with Bono is please bring Reader.

One thought I had was were Reader and Varner close? Just dreaming but those two at ISU (I'm assuming Reader as HC since he has more experience?) would be interesting!

Reactions: WilleyState

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Would love to get Flynn. What are your thoughts on Santoro at Lehigh?
I think Flynn has been a good coach. As I posted in another thread when the news first broke, I think Santoro is one of the best in the nation. For starters, he was an assistant under one of the best coaches in history in Greg Strobel. He then turned Maryland into a relevant program in a few short years. Now back at the helm at Lehigh and he is picking up where Strobel left off. He has them ranked in Top 10 again. He is known as an outstanding teacher of technique and one hell of a recruiter! He would be okay with me!

Reactions: HitItHard58

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I don't see why everyone points to Bono first. He was an option last time, came as an asst for a year or so but he doesn't seem to fit.

• Dislike
Reactions: WilleyState

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I don't see why everyone points to Bono first. He was an option last time, came as an asst for a year or so but he doesn't seem to fit.
I don't think everybody does point to him first but we could do much worse. Last time was 8 years ago in which time he gained head coaching experience and took SDSU from dead in the water to a legit threat. Hoping for an even more proven coach but wouldn't be disappointed at all if we wind up with Bono.

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
I see a lot of names are being tossed around for the head coaching position, but what guidelines are they using to determine who would the right candidate to return ISU to wrestling elite? Let’s see what happens when a specific set of criteria is used to filter the candidates for the position.

The criteria is as follows:

1) Head coach preferred, but there are also several Assistant Coaches out there that qualify.

2) Must have been part of a National Championship team, whether as a wrestler or coach.

3) Must be from a program that has a consistent top ten placement at the NCAA Tournament.

4) Must have been at least a Division 1 All-American – the coach needs to be able to relate what challenges their wrestlers encounter at this level of competition

5) Team coaching must have a consistent record of NCAA qualifiers, All-Americans, and National Champs.

Okay, five very demanding, but specific, attributes needed to be considered for the position. Let’s see who qualifies:

1) Kevin Dresser-Virginia Tech – Should be the #1 focus of the search…period!

His credentials speak for themselves, best pure development of talent out there, so here’s why he would take the job-

A) Iowa roots and wants to return and prove that he’s a better coach than Tom, Terry, & Co.

B) Pollard offers $220,000, which is about a 65% raise from his current salary, and puts him near the ballpark of the top five wrestling programs coaches.

C) Understands the Cyclone’s place in wrestling history and wants to be remembered as the one who restored the program to its previous glory.

D) He’s a coaching legend in Virginia and can also become a legend in everywhere, ot just Iowa.

E) Knows he will be inheriting a team with great talent and supporters.

Why he won’t take the job-

A) Has lived about as many years of his life in Virginia (since 1988) as in Iowa, his wife and children are lifelong Virginia residents, may not want to leave Virginia.

B) Virginia Tech may want to not lose Dresser and make a competitive offer to keep him there.

C) At 52, he’s happy with his success and may not care or want to “rebuild” another program.

D) Super diehard Hawk and in no way does he want to be a Clone!

2) J Jaggers – Ohio State

A) Has been an assistant under Tom Ryan since graduating in 2009 and the Assistant Coach for the last 6 years, which includes being the Assistant Coach on the 2015 NCAA Champion team. Two-time NCAA Champ and all other criteria met.

3) Damian Hahn – Cornell

A) Two-time NCAA Champ, member Minnesota 2002 National Championship team, Assistant Coach for the last 11 years and Associate Head Coach at Cornel for the past four seasons.

4) Eric Guerrero – Oklahoma State

A) Three-time NCAA Champ, 12 years on coaching staff during which OK State won four NCAA Championships, promoted to the role of associate head coach prior to the 2012-13 season, and stellar international wresting career as well.

5) Mark Perry – Illinois

A) Meets all criteria, but hasn’t really coached on a National contender. Still, incredibly talented wrestler and eager to coach from THE first family of US wrestling! Pedigree deserves serious consideration!

Granted, all of these coaches would have to WANT to come ISU, and Pollard needs to step-up and prove he is committed to the Iowa State Wrestling tradition.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I see a lot of names are being tossed around for the head coaching position, but what guidelines are they using to determine who would the right candidate to return ISU to wrestling elite? Let’s see what happens when a specific set of criteria is used to filter the candidates for the position.

1) Head coach preferred, but there are also several Assistant Coaches out there that qualify.

2) Must have been part of a National Championship team, whether as a wrestler or coach.

3) Must be from a program that has a consistent top ten placement at the NCAA Tournament.

4) Must have been at least a Division 1 All-American – the coach needs to be able to relate what challenges their wrestlers encounter at this level of competition

5) Team coaching must have a consistent record of NCAA qualifiers, All-Americans, and National Champs.

Okay, five very demanding, but specific, attributes needed to be considered for the position. Let’s see who qualifies:

His credentials speak for themselves, best pure development of talent out there, so here’s why he would take the job-

A) Iowa roots and wants to return and prove that he’s a better coach than Tom, Terry, & Co.

B) Pollard offers $220,000, which is about a 65% raise from his current salary, and puts him near the ballpark of the top five wrestling programs coaches.

C) Understands the Cyclone’s place in wrestling history and wants to be remembered as the one who restored the program to its previous glory.

D) He’s a coaching legend in Virginia and can also become a legend in everywhere, ot just Iowa.

A) Has lived about as many years of his life in Virginia (since 1988) as in Iowa, his wife and children are lifelong Virginia residents, may not want to leave Virginia.

B) Virginia Tech may want to not lose Dresser and make a competitive offer to keep him there.

C) At 52, he’s happy with his success and may not care or want to “rebuild” another program.

A) Has been an assistant under Tom Ryan since graduating in 2009 and the Assistant Coach for the last 6 years, which includes being the Assistant Coach on the 2015 NCAA Champion team. Two-time NCAA Champ and all other criteria met.

3) Damian Hahn – Cornell

A) Two-time NCAA Champ, member Minnesota 2002 National Championship team, Assistant Coach for the last 11 years and Associate Head Coach at Cornel for the past four seasons.

A) Three-time NCAA Champ, 12 years on coaching staff during which OK State won four NCAA Championships, promoted to the role of associate head coach prior to the 2012-13 season, and stellar international wresting career as well.

5) Mark Perry – Illinois

A) Meets all criteria, but hasn’t really coached on a National contender. Still, incredibly talented wrestler and eager to coach from THE first family of US wrestling! Pedigree deserves serious consideration!

Granted, all of these coaches would have to WANT to come ISU, and Pollard needs to step-up and prove he is committed to the Iowa State Wrestling tradition.
Bono (and Reader) fit all of your criteria too. I'm not sure I like your criterias because it rules out a guy like Nick Mitchell whom I would at least consider. How does Popolozio match these criteria?

djhart69

Feb 1, 2017
When you are talking 'Home Run' hires, Kevin Dresser would be a Grand Slam. I hate to be pessimistic, but I see the chances of a 'Home Run' hire as very slim. So looking past all of the 'A Listers' and Pipe Dreams being mentioned over and over again, here's 3 that I've yet to see mentioned anywhere:

Jason Borrelli, Coleman Scott
and Luke Moffitt.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

This needs to be a selling point to whoever takes the job, no matter what level of experience they're coming in at. The man who returns Iowa State to national prominence can put a big ol' feather in his cap in wrestling circles and there is a lot of pride that comes with that. This appeal needs to be made to whoever Pollard is pursuing.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

3) Damian Hahn – Cornell

5) Mark Perry – Illinois

Still don't understand the love for Perry. He may prove me wrong some day, but doubt it. He definitely hasn't proven more than about 20 or 30 other coaches that would be on my list ahead of him.

Last edited:

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Bono (and Reader) fit all of your criteria too. I'm not sure I like your criterias because it rules out a guy like Nick Mitchell whom I would at least consider. How does Popolozio match these criteria?
I don't feel Mitchell is qualified. He's done remarkable things at GV, but not sure that translates to a D1 program.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
For those who wonder if Bono would bring Reader - IMO it is not even a question. If Bono was in Ames you will see Reader back in Ames as well.
I would love Reader back at ISU! However, if Bono were hired, do you think Reader would follow even if he were offered HC at SDSU? Think that might be hard for him to pass up. I really like Reader and think he may be one of the main reasons for SDSU recent success.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

This still gives me chills to watch Reader after winning the 2011 174lb championship. Got everyone in the video...Big Z, Kyle Simonson, Sorenson, Bono, KJ and the Paulson Twins. Best quote "Just Wrestling Man Just Having Fun"

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
Agree with Dresser as a top and many other names that you guys have thrown up there. But there are two more of my top 5-10 that are missing:

Doug Schwab - Definitely in my top 5
Mark Manning - Definately in my top 10 (Nebby is quietly becoming relevant)
If you can parlay an offer on Manning, and add a caveat of adding Burroughs as Associate Head Coach - then that may play as a top 3 package deal.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Agree with Dresser as a top and many other names that you guys have thrown up there. But there are two more of my top 5-10 that are missing:

Doug Schwab - Definitely in my top 5
Mark Manning - Definately in my top 10 (Nebby is quietly becoming relevant)
If you can parlay an offer on Manning, and add a caveat of adding Burroughs as Associate Head Coach - then that may play as a top 3 package deal.
No on Schwab. Hasn't proven he is a top coach yet.

Agree that Manning is a great coach and runs a top program. However, Nebraska isn't quietly becoming relevant. They've been good for many years. Manning is deep rooted in Nebraska.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
Neither Bono or Reader have been part of a National Championship team. Though I don't agree with his criteria.
What would your criteria be exactly? Just disagreeing doesn't shed any light on what you think Iowa State should look for in the new coach. Please discuss if you have better ideas.