Coaching Search: Place your bets

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Last time we hired the Utah State head coach it turned out pretty well except for how his tenure here ended so Craig Smith is an interesting name. Honestly I have no idea who I want, prefer it to be someone with proven success at a P5 school and not TJ or Fred and I'm surprised so many think 1 of those 2 are going to be in the mix because I would actually be surprised if they are. Pollard thinks outside the box a lot with his hires and Fred at the time was a great example of that but I also think going back in that direction with him or TJ would just be admitting he should of hired TJ when he hired Prohm.

I can't remember who told me this but a few years ago someone told me not to be surprised if Charlie Henry one day gets an interview as a dark horse candidate if the job opens up.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Want: Hoiberg
Will hire: TJ
Definitely not: probably TJ. It's lazy and unexciting, and just looks like a buddy hire.

I probably agree with you regarding TJ, but I don't think Pollard has shown any inclination to be lazy or do a buddy hire, so if if ends up being TJ, it would only be a perception thing, which shouldn't drive the coaching choice.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
What candidate can retain the talent we do have while bringing in a few good players, that also can overhaul our culture?

I think Fred with a good staff could win with Bolton, Harris, Hunter, Dunn, Foster, Conditt, Johnson, Walker, McGowens. And we’d have a chance at Lipsey

This is the one time I'm not too worried about losing players because we haven't won with them as it is. I'm not sure we really have a lot of Big 12 talent on this team right now they way they have gotten smoked in a lot of games. Even poor coaches luck into some wins if they have good talent on the team. Foster is probably the 1 guy I would truly be sad to see leave because he is an in-state kid that chose us over Iowa and would really like to see him succeed here.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What candidate can retain the talent we do have while bringing in a few good players, that also can overhaul our culture?

I think Fred with a good staff could win with Bolton, Harris, Hunter, Dunn, Foster, Conditt, Johnson, Walker, McGowens. And we’d have a chance at Lipsey

And this is why Fred might be attractive to JP again. Because regardless of what many say......player turnover....not coach is what makes change twice as hard. You keep the same players in the same system with better coaching.....add a few top level recruits i.e. Hunter/Nunn/Lipsey......you are off and running again in no time.

1st,,,,,Fred. If not even remotely possible......then Turgeon or Ford maybe Altman. I know, player turnover but they have experience.
think.....have no idea
Don't want.....TJ He's seems a poor man's Fred. Which is what we are getting rid of.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
1. A 4-A Assistant under one of the top flight head coaches that 90% around here have never heard of, has always wanted a HJ job and finally get one.

Surely any coach doesnt have to move to Ames to get an "HJ Job". (is that like a pin number?)

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Does Pollard have Smith on his short list?

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Want - someone that recruits All positions and not just skinny guards that can’t make shots. Need Bigs and power forwards (strength).

will get someone comfortable for ISU

don’t want a coach that doesn’t know big time BBall. It’s not the same as lower level ball.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
And this is why Fred might be attractive to JP again. Because regardless of what many say......player turnover....not coach is what makes change twice as hard. You keep the same players in the same system with better coaching.....add a few top level recruits i.e. Hunter/Nunn/Lipsey......you are off and running again in no time.

1st,,,,,Fred. If not even remotely possible......then Turgeon or Ford maybe Altman. I know, player turnover but they have experience.
think.....have no idea
Don't want.....TJ He's seems a poor man's Fred. Which is what we are getting rid of.
Yes, Nunn, not Dunn!

I agree completely about the transition period roster management being critical. That’s two fold - will they keep what we want to keep? What can they “bring” with them (and their staff)?

I disagree on TJ. He shouldn’t be at the top, but he fits the program much better now than 2015. I personally think Hunter will go elsewhere no matter what, but TJ is probably our best bet there. He could bring Nunn’s talented teammate and keep Nunn.

I fear it’s going to be a bloodbath no matter who we hire. Tough to keep kids from looking at greener pastures when they just went through two 20 loss seasons.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Want - Becky Hammon. That's the type of hire that would put ISU in the headlines across the country for weeks. I think a lot of NBA coaches would be on the record saying she would do well as a head coach, which should help recruit over the summer. I don't think the NBA is going to give her a chance unless Pop demands it happens in San Antonio. Watching Conditt play in a Popovich system is very appealing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Want - Becky Hammon. That's the type of hire that would put ISU in the headlines across the country for weeks. I think a lot of NBA coaches would be on the record saying she would do well as a head coach, which should help recruit over the summer. I don't think the NBA is going to give her a chance unless Pop demands it happens in San Antonio. Watching Conditt play in a Popovich system is very appealing.
I love the thought process behind this, but due to there being zero connections between her and Iowa State, there’s about a zero % chance this happens.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Help Support Us

Become a patron