Coaching Search: Place your bets

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
There are a couple TJ threads at the UNLV rivals board. You have to be a member to see it, but the first post was about his buyout, so they can’t be too happy.

• Informative
Reactions: IndyClone15

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
UNLV has some plans and structure to their offense. They just aren't very good at executing it.
Utah State looks like they really know what they're doing.

Like someone mentioned quite a while ago, having that big guy USU has sure doesn't hurt.
Utah State has a post and Smith knows how to use one. Everybody loves a stretch 4, to be sure. Deep runs in the tourney require getting dirty in the paint.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I feel defensive as for some reason TJ seems to be mentioned, many times before as the odds on favorite for the ISU position. I don't believe he has earned the position to be considered the #1 choice. I think there are better candidates.

I would root for him him if he were to be hired, of course, but I as many others have already said, would be disappointed if he were just annointed next coach without a thorough search by JP and good reasons.

How can this thought process be considered dumb?
TJ shouldn’t be anointed. He should have to go through a thorough search process. That said there is a very vocal group who feels the need to denigrate him at every chance. There are flaws to him as a potential hire. There are also flaws to every other potential hire. Let’s discuss their actual pros and cons. Let’s not just slam coaches.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Ok Fanatics let’s have some fun while we wait. If our new coach is not named Fred, TJ, or Dana, who will it be and why are they the right guy?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Ok Fanatics let’s have some fun while we wait. If our new coach is not named Fred, TJ, or Dana, who will it be and why are they the right guy?
I think it all depends on what a certain person in Lincoln Nebraska wants. If he really wants to come back to Iowa State, we don’t even need to interview anybody else just get the deal done.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
TJ shouldn’t be anointed. He should have to go through a thorough search process. That said there is a very vocal group who feels the need to denigrate him at every chance. There are flaws to him as a potential hire. There are also flaws to every other potential hire. Let’s discuss their actual pros and cons. Let’s not just slam coaches.
What do you think UNLV fans would list as the pros? Will he have a greater chance of success inheriting a bad iowa st team than he did when going to UNLV? He’s been viewed by many MWC followers as bottom half of that conference. How does he measure up in the big 12?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Here is my official bet. Otz + top recruit Kaluma. We already have the AZ connection in fb let’s start it with b-ball too

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Fair enough.
TJ: I'm not a huge fan of his on-court demeanor, always seems to be directing traffic, waving his arms, etc. Too much micro-management? He seems to like the 3 (OK, many coaches do), but I'd like to see more movement and teams trying to get layups, short jumpers. Not an x/o guy, leave that to others. Gates: Love his charisma, seeming detail, his winning record. I like his 8-point mantra (forget what it is now). I like that he is black (please don't make anything racist of that). What I mean, is if he is as good or better than a white coach, why not make the hire?

Grant: More of the same with Gates, good coach, coach of year 2020, winning record, has developed some Pros, experienced, black coach. Tang: Experienced, black assisstant coach.

Someone else can take it from there.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think it all depends on what a certain person in Lincoln Nebraska wants. If he really wants to come back to Iowa State, we don’t even need to interview anybody else just get the deal done.
wish that was the case...

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I honestly can’t believe that TJ is really in the running. It has to be a smokescreen. UNLV looked so pathetic that I just can’t even imagine Pollard would even go there. Well played Pollard. Joke is on us.
I guess being Hoiberg's bagman and being married to a former ISU player make you deserving of a Power 5 job.

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
The same people saying Otz is a great recruiter are the ones saying he doesn't have enough talent to win this season. You can't have it both ways.
He said that had he known covid was going to shut everything down he wouldn't have brought in 7 freshmen to try to develop (no summer workouts, trips, etc) and bring along, but would have brought in a couple of more experienced transfers.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
According to the UNLV free message boards they would be more than happy with Otz leaving.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He said that had he known covid was going to shut everything down he wouldn't have brought in 7 freshmen to try to develop (no summer workouts, trips, etc) and bring along, but would have brought in a couple of more experienced transfers.

I’m guessing prohm would say the same thing.

It seems weird that he’d say that publicly where those freshman can hear that he would not have signed them.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Sounds like Steve Prohm 2.0 to me.

It’s fine to not want TJ as our next head coach but these statements are dumb. NO ONE KNOWS how how TJ will do here, if they did it would be crystal clear whether to hire him or not.

You can knock him for his record, for many other things but to draw this comparison or call him Prohm 2.0 is just plain stupid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron