COACHING SEARCH: Thanksgiving night update

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
It would seem like he would get a head coaching gig. He describes himself and more of a motivator and ceo than an xs and os coach.

Which is great if he's surrounds himself with a great staff. But that's not a great quality for a coordinator.

I have seen very few people as charismatic as fleck. He could be a great hire or a horrible one, but it might be worth the risk

i agree with you 100% all they need him to do is recruit and go get cordinators.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
If they are winning more games with him than they were before him, then they are morons.

I don't care if a guy grates on my nerves or bangs booster's wives. If he wins consistently at Iowa State I will take him.

People keep bringing up Chizik. That was a pretty unique situation. Most coaches have to have some success before they get a big promotion. Chizik had a handshake deal with Auburn boosters. He was supposed to get some HC experience, any HC experience, and they would push to get him hired a few years later.

Chizik was just the guy to look the other way while Auburn brought in every shady recruit they could find. And he just let Malzahn run the offense and tried not to mess up the defense.

PJ Fleck will likely need to have some success at ISU before he would leave. And anything like that would be good for us.

Fleck accepted the OC position with his alma mater, NIU and one day later resigned to accept a position with the Buccaneers. Even if we offered him and he accepted, I wouldn't count on him showing up. He'd go to Illinois or Rutgers or LSU, etc.

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
Fleck accepted the OC position with his alma mater, NIU and one day later resigned to accept a position with the Buccaneers. Even if we offered him and he accepted, I wouldn't count on him showing up. He'd go to Illinois or Rutgers or LSU, etc.

anyone would do the same thing. at least it wasnt a week or a month later.

are program is better than illinois and rutgers. and he is not getting the LSU job.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
If we hire Fleck will he replace all of CPR's hard hats with oars then? Do our player's lockers have room for oars? What if an oar isn't enough and he has each of them have actual boats? These are all things JP must consider.

Replace hard hats and blue collar with neckerchiefs and bell bottoms.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Are people really saying no to fleck because of his Row the Boat thing?
So... tell me, what's the difference between "All In" and "Row the Boat"

At least he can beat Toledo.

Let's go with "Flip the Bird!"

Matches our mascot and denotes what we want to do to the Big12.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
"Be the Storm"

There, I've officially made Iowa State cooler in 3 seconds than Paul Rhoads did in 7 ******* years. At least Fleck knows what Twitter is

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It looked like he was spitting on the ground a lot during the game. That seemed pretty immature.

Who gives a ****? You sound like JP who didn't like that Harbaugh swore in his interview. The guy might be a cocky *****, but he can recruit and it looks like he can coach too.

The way half the people talk on here they would rather have a choir boy coach who doesn't win than a guy with confidence who wins football games.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
"Be the Storm"

There, I've officially made Iowa State cooler in 3 seconds than Paul Rhoads did in 7 ******* years. At least Fleck knows what Twitter is

And that's the main qualification to be a head coach at ISU now? How about "Storm the Boat", or "Boat the Storm", etc.?

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Who gives a ****? You sound like JP who didn't like that Harbaugh swore in his interview. The guy might be a cocky *****, but he can recruit and it looks like he can coach too.

The way half the people talk on here they would rather have a choir boy coach who doesn't win than a guy with confidence who wins football games.

Is that SERIOUSLY why we didn't hire Harbaugh?

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Interesting fact about boat oars. Adam Silver attaches pillows to the ends of them and uses them as Q-tips.

Carry on

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
And that's the main qualification to be a head coach at ISU now? How about "Storm the Boat", or "Boat the Storm", etc.?

No but it certainly makes you more relatable to recruits.

I'm not sold on Fleck, but I want someone who knows his damn customers, 16-18 year old kids. I want a ******* DJ, I want ******* unique uniforms, and I want a coach with ******* Twitter.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
No but it certainly makes you more relatable to recruits.

I'm not sold on Fleck, but I want someone who knows his damn customers, 16-18 year old kids. I want a ******* DJ, I want ******* unique uniforms, and I want a coach with ******* Twitter.

I know what you're saying, however we have to be mindful also that we 16-18 year old kids are not making multi-million dollar gifts to the athletic department. We're not buying suites and season tickets for 15 people and RV passes for all of our friends. So we have to appreciate the old folks too! :)

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
want to talk about immature, CPR running up and down the sidelines yelling at officials? spitting on the sidelines really?

ghostoftazzles

Dec 7, 2014
Are we really on the PJ Fleck bandwagon now? The guy with a 15-21 record and his rah rah forced enthusiasm? Give me a guy with some substance. We're only narrowing down on Fleck because again, he would come cheaper than coaches with more success and substance.

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
I havent seen this name anywhere at all-Matt Rhule at Temple. Has Temple(seriously) in the top 25 and beat Penn State, Cincinnati, and should have beat Notre Dame. Are people afraid he is waiting for the Penn State job?