*** COACHING SEARCH THREAD: Thursday, June 4 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

attachment.php

Not sure what this means, but the way CF has been reacting to the past months' events, I'm sure someone could make a tie-in to what is happening now. Preferably that "someone" should be the owner and wearer of an aluminum foil hat.

Attachments

• Bulls.png
    Bulls.png
    154 KB · Views: 772

jddegraf

Aug 17, 2014
Looked into some of the recruits Drew has signed for 15' and he reeled in Derrik Smits. Most basketball junkies will recognize the last name. He is the son of former Pacer great Rik Smits. If Drew was hired I think it would be hard to get him out of Indiana, but would be nice to add a 7 footer with skill to the front line for next year. Seems to have a decent frame for a 7 foot 18 year old also.

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
If you hire the new coach based on who recruited the current players then Bobby Bowden should have been replaced by hookers

isu83

May 5, 2010
I could care less what they do with cpr. But why not get a proven head coach? And pollard is fine. Just because leath is making this a team effort people r hating on him. Otz did leave once and his experience with cfh is minimal. If he is the best choice fine. But he is not the best choice.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I do believe it would be easier to promote Otz if he hadn't left. He just hasn't been on winning teams. Normally you promote coaches from winning teams.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
Aren't you the guy that said your biggest problem with Prohm was his record in close games??

He sure is dude is all over the place with unfactual things. I have to come to the conclusion he is trolling at this point cause he has not come up with ONE salient reason for TJ

Last edited:

H2O4ISU

Aug 14, 2007
Enjoying the dialogue fellow Cyclones! Absolutely love this site...thanks to Chris et al. for their professionalism and outlet for us fans.

One of my old coaches, who will remain nameless, always said that special teams have three elements...talent first, coaching second and chemistry last. You need all three to be special...the first two to be good! At this level, talent is a must...period.

Next year we have 1 & 3, but after that we may have none with 6-8 sholarships to fill. So, the way I see it we better hire a coach that can flat out coach next year, and recruit off the immediate success and where our program is seen today. The risk of a coaching mistake could send us reeling backwards as fast as Fred took us forward.

I will support whoever bests fits that mold right now. However, if you ever thought that the time was right to swing for the fence on the hire...you are correct...it is now. We have had unprecedented success and national media exposure regarding our history, performance, fans and facilities. We have a top ten team coming back. Damn right we should be looking for a splash! We may never get this opportunity again.

With all that said, a current assistant may be the best fit. May not either. If you are looking to the outside, it doesnt mean you are bashing anyone. We should be casting a wide net...we have the only job open! This is all so critical because the cupboard will be bare soon. That is the elephant in the room! We will have plenty of time to discuss that...but, back to the search!

I appreciate when nuggets of info that are presented, and debated, regardless of where (and why), to give insight on backroom happenings. As with everything, there is a lot of truths out there...with shades of gray! And in those shades of gray...many assumptions, facts, spin, rumors, etc. This is what makes this site awesome, and at the same time annoying!

One thing I have communicated many times before to our Cyclone Leadership, is that I will still be here when the next Coach, AD and/or President takes over. As an Alum/Donor/Fan my support and passion is for the University...not necessarily always the individuals that play a part in it. Sometimes everything lines up just right...and it is awesome (i.e., the Hoiberg era), and other times not so great (insert your own name here)...but, most of the time somewhere in between. Regardless, we love our Cyclones forever, and that is what is most important. Once a Cyclone, always a Cyclone.

With that said, I need to add some info to some "gray" that has been causally insinuated here...that Jeff Hornacek may not love his alma mater, hasn't given back and may have upset some large Donors. What a completely bs narrative to throw out there! Let's just move on...there is nothing to see here.

Although I haven't spoken to Jeff in some time (I lived with Jeff in a fourplex off Sunset during our Cyclone days (yeah, that was my couch that sat on the lawn for a year or so!) I do know he loves his alma mater, has gave back and may have ****** off a few people along the way (no need to discuss...there are always a few bonafide "rear ends" out there to **** off!). End of the day, he is one of THE all-time greats and deserves better than this. He may, or may not, have an interest to come coach here at this time...but that in no way implies he doesn't hold our institution in high regards. In the end, he IS a great guy and Cyclone...period.

Just wanted to add some babble to the conversation. I'm ready to move on and support whoever takes the reigns...however, my personal preference is...who cares! He'll be a Cyclone...period.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I want to hear more about Hunter. I feel like he'd be able to land so many recruits simply based on the fact he has a couple rings and coached the Splash Bros.

sigh

Apr 11, 2006
Denver
I really hope it's Otz, unless JP can get a home run hire (NBA or an Altman type...not a mid major coach). Keep the relationship and the team chemistry going without the distraction of a new coach. I really look forward to the high level recruits he'll get here.

#TeamOtz

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
One of these days people will figure out that mid majors are where a lot of high majors get their coaches.

Reactions: LindenCy

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm interested in Otz, Prohm, and Hunter all in no order. The most attractive thing about an outside coach is that you also more than likely get to keep Otz as an assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.