Coaching Staff Evaluation

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
ill let gray speak for my thoughts

This hit the nail on the head.

We have risen from the absolute football abyss to being a yearly bowl eligible team. The team still has a long way to go, but is lightyears ahead of where we were 5, 6, 7 years ago.
Serious improvements need to be made on the offensive scheme, nobody can argue that. Today we just got beat by a better team.
I understand people wanting more, im disappointed too. We need to keep things in perspective, and see how much growth this team had made in 4 short years.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Once again, for those of you that think the position that takes the longest of all to develop shouldn't be a problem. Nothing against the current guys, it's just 4 senior starters from the state of Iowa is what the staff was left with. Here is the OL only player ratings by 247 Sports Composite, sorted by highest ranking year.

Average Player Rating:
2020: .8555
2019 .8504
2018 .8503
2015 .8367
2017 .8348
2013 .8289
2010 .8267
2016 .8240
2014 .8234
2012 .8219
2011 .7984

The 3 best classes of all time were the last 3 years, and all the guys are RS SO or younger. Newell was a true SO, but his injury means all of our best 3 classes have 2+ years to play. Sucks to have the transition year when we might have our best team we've had with all the other positions, but I'm not convinced the new line will drop off from this years.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
We are a better program now than with CPR, mainly due to depth. I think he directed special teams , and he was not bad there. He also beat TOE. Unfortunately, we will be12 point dogs next year there. I am also wondering how good the big 12 actually was this year - and we were outplayed by UNI. We seem to be ignoring special teams training and it has cost us a few games. We added a CB coach and we got worse in that area. Coaching needs to improve. Need contingency plans and better game planning.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
What part of my statement was inaccurate? I don’t think he’ll be 3-9 next year. But through 4 seasons he has 26 wins. Rhoads had 24.

You're just pointing out how Campbell is a better coach than Rhoads?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
What part of my statement was inaccurate? I don’t think he’ll be 3-9 next year. But through 4 seasons he has 26 wins. Rhoads had 24.

Is the program better off with Campbell than Rhoads? That seems to be apparent to the rest of us but your passive aggressive post seems to indicate the contrary.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
As much as I appreciate the coaches taking us from where we were a few years ago, they need to have a hard evaluation of themselves this offseason. Thoroughly out coached in plenty games. Penalties, turnovers, it’s all comes down to coaching. Hope they can improve themselves.

perhaps become the best versions of themselves that they can be?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I feel like people are somehow incapable of looking at big picture trends. As a whole with the bowl game, this season was disappointing. With that said there is still clearly an upward trend. This particular team was our most talented in history but lacked the details Campbell preaches. Next year is going to be just as if not more talented but they will be older. Hopefully there is some leadership growth and we get more disciplined in key moments.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I feel like people are somehow incapable of looking at big picture trends. As a whole with the bowl game, this season was disappointing. With that said there is still clearly an upward trend. This particular team was our most talented in history but lacked the details Campbell preaches. Next year is going to be just as if not more talented but they will be older. Hopefully there is some leadership growth and we get more disciplined in key moments.
Over the last 40 years I've seen a LOT of really bad football from Iowa State. I always thought I'd be really happy if we could just go out and compete head to head with other conference teams. We're there and over-all I'm happy. We're not in a real bad spot if we're disappointed in losing a bowl game to Notre Dame. I don't believe that as a student of the game, Campbell is satisfied with this teams performance and I believe changes will be coming.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

4 cyclones

Jul 25, 2016
To fair be we played a lot of 3-4 today in order to try to help stop the run.

Our LBs need to watch other LBs. We run into the back of our own guys and miss gaps all of the time. Other teams float to see what gap to fill and close the hole and sometimes able to penetrate and get tfl

• Agree
Reactions: clydeclone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Let's not lose sight of the quality young men coach has brought into this program. 7-6 is a disappointment, but if ISU is represented by players of this quality who leave here a little better than when they first stepped on campus.....its a winning season

As real as it gets! Watch an emotional Marcel Spears Jr. (senior linebacker - @the_heavengates) thank his teammates and tell them what they mean to him, after a tough loss to Notre Dame. This example of brotherhood is why the game is so special. https://t.co/se5IDw5G5p

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
I expect our game plan next year to be more aggressive.
Dial up more pressure on D instead of dropping everyone back in zone coverage...
No punting inside the 40 yard line ever again.
Hope to see Re-al Mitchell on the field also.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Coaches are extremely important (obviously) but ISU needs to improve the talent. Yes the prior 3 recruiting classes have near historic but ISU is still like a composite ~ 50 overall roster. Need to boost that into the 30's to be a legit threat.

To you 'stars don't matter folks' you are wrong. Look at the winning teams and their recruiting classes. CMC is punching above his weight right now. We consistently out recruit about 5 teams on our schedule currently. (2 noncons, KU, KSU and Tech) We are closing on OSU and WVU from a composite standpoint.

Winning and facilities help but ISU needs to break out of our traditional recruiting rankings 'bigly' but that is not easy. Look over the last 15 years and you'll see a mostly consistent ranking for each schools rankings. Some will move up or down a lot off their averages a year or two but it tends to revert to the mean.