college basketball facts

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
As a high school basketball official, my go-to reference for the game rules has always been "Popular Mechanics".

BTW, how would you signal to the official scorer a foul on player # 79?

:jimlad:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
As a high school basketball official, my go-to reference for the game rules has always been "Popular Mechanics".

At least you didn't ask #69, that signal could get creative . . .

• Haha
Reactions: clonehome

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I never understood this. Always a lull in the action anyway. Just hop over to the scorers table and say, 7, 9. It’s not like a basketball court is a mile long. If it’s too much work to get there, you are too out of shape to be a basketball referee.

• Agree
Reactions: Spam

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I never understood this. Always a lull in the action anyway. Just hop over to the scorers table and say, 7, 9. It’s not like a basketball court is a mile long. If it’s too much work to get there, you are too out of shape to be a basketball referee.
They want both verbal and visual indication to avoid confusion or being misheard in a loud arena.

NBA referees manage to signal numbers like 73 and 99 though.