College Basketball Games 2017_18

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Not sure if there has been another thread about general college basketball games this season, but I watched a couple games tonight that are related to ISU. First - impressive OT win by TTU vs a very good, and well-coached Nevada club (ranked 22). Secondly, I was frustrated that SDSU (Otz's team) couldn't pull off the upset vs Wichita State. I watched almost the entire game - but stopped because I was so mad at the obvious homerism by the refs. The Jacks had total control of the game until the refs took over. Brown for the Shockers got away with two blatant offensive fouls - shoved one guy down, then got to the rim for an "and 1." This whittled the lead down to single digits. A few plays later, he put his head and shoulder down, initiating the contact with the defender and bowled him over. He made the shot and, again, got the "and 1." This narrowed the lead down to 5. Then on the next couple of plays, SDSU gets completely mauled and there is no foul. The last straw before I turned it off was on a Shocker press: The Jacks inbound the ball and a Shocker player knocks the ball cleanly away and out-of bounds - right in front of the ref. The ref gives the ball to the Shockers. There is a timeout and the Shocker player is laughing his *** off at the call as the SDSU guard simply smiles and shakes his head. Prior to this entire hose job, SDSU had an answer for everything that WSU was doing. You'd have thought that it was ISU playing at AFH, or our FB team playing in Manhattan (okay, maybe not quite that bad). SDSU ended up losing by 10, BTW.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Daum would look great in an Iowa St uniform if he ever wanted to transfer (he doesn’t).

Some very good wins for the Big 12.
UT beat VCU on the road.
TT beat Nevada in OT
TCU beat SMU
WVU beat UVa on the road (false, in Morgantown)

I saw that Memphis came back to beat Samford by 1 after sneaking out a two point win against Mercer. Davenport, a PF we passed on in favor of Juiston averages 13 and 7 for them. Thornton, another PF we looked at last spring is at 3.5 ppg.

Last edited:

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Daum would look great in an Iowa St uniform if he ever wanted to transfer (he doesn’t).

UT beat VCU on the road.
TT beat Nevada in OT
TCU beat SMU
WVU beat UVa on the road

I saw Memphis came back to beat Samford by 1 after sneaking out a two point win against Mercer. Davenport, a PF we passed on in favor of Juiston averages 13 and 7 for them. Thornton, another PF we looked at last spring is at 3.5 ppg.
I like the way our guys are progressing, but the Big XII slate is going to be very, very difficult!

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

UT beat VCU on the road.
TT beat Nevada in OT
TCU beat SMU
WVU beat UVa on the road

I saw Memphis came back to beat Samford by 1 after sneaking out a two point win against Mercer. Davenport, a PF we passed on in favor of Juiston averages 13 and 7 for them. Thornton, another PF we looked at last spring is at 3.5 ppg.

Yes, huge wins by the Big XII today which will really help the Big XII stay among the highest rated leagues. And all of those close wins were neck-and-neck and probably could have gone the other way (such as TTU coming from well behind to beat Nevada and tie it late in the game), WVU win (at home, not on the road as noted above) a back and forth affair with UVA and UT win against VCU after surrendering the lead late. Those close calls going the Big XIIs way make a big difference in the power ratings even if the teams are marginally distinguishable.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

UT beat VCU on the road.
TT beat Nevada in OT
TCU beat SMU
WVU beat UVa on the road

WVU game was in Morgantown. But still a great win.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Not sure if the WV game was an aberration, but it looks like they can actually shoot this year.
I agree about their shooting last night. I hadn't seen any of their earlier games, so I'm hoping last night was an outlier. Also, I can't wait for Carter to be gone. He had a monster game last night: Double-double with 7 assists.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Loyola just won at Florida, three straight losses for Florida. Clayton Custer was injured early on and didn't return, had 4pts and 3 assist.

Reactions: kentkel

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Watched the 2nd half of the Loyola Chicago vs Florida game. Clayton Custer rolled an ankle & did not play in the 2nd half. BUT, Loyola prevailed (65-59). Unlike the S.Dak-WSU game last night, the refs were very, very impartial in this one and were not swayed by the home crowd. Florida couldn't throw the ball in the ocean - but Loyola looked pretty good tonight - even without Custer. Their Frosh center looked like Daum-lite & Aundre Jackson looked like the best player on the floor. Loyola is now 9-1 and their only loss was a 30 pt drubbing by Boise State.

Reactions: heitclone