College Football Playoffs Thread

BigDH01

Oct 17, 2011
Wisconsin and Alabama are both 0-1 against top 10 teams and 3-1 against top 30 teams. Sagarin has Alabama's SoS at 56 and Wisconsin at 50. Wisconsin lost by 4 to #5 tOSU and Alabama lost by 12 to #7 Auburn. Wisconsin also has one extra win and at least played for their conference championship. The committee just demonstrated that they will never leave out both tOSU and Alabama. The fact that USC and Wisconsin were not seriously considered is testament to that fact.

The "eye test" is just a "which team is my favorite" test and is just used as an excuse to constantly favor certain teams, especially if those teams are from the heavily sold SEC.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
But was Bama's resume any better? The best teams they played were LSU and Mississippi State, and MSU was in it to the end. They couldn't win their division. To me, that means they shouldn't be in the playoff. I thought the same thing about OSU last year.

No I don't think Alabama's resume was impressive either, like I posted before it's hard to find a good out of conference win for anyone in the SEC West. I don't think any team had a legit complaint about being left out this year, whoever got the fourth spot was going to be lucky to still be considered.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
For the conference championship games to be considered play in for the CFP, they would need to expand to at least 6. This would be a pretty good playoff in my opinion:
#1 Clemson, #2 OU, #3 Georgia, #4 Ohio St, #5 USC, #6 UCF
And talk about ratings. This scenario would perhaps have USC Vs Ohio St in the rose bowl! PAC 12 who got crapped on all year vs the overrated and touted Big 10.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The committee is laughably bad at their job, and it's ridiculous we give that group so much power, but I couldn't be happier with this season's selections. Big 12 is in safely and $30 million richer, Jim Delaney is pissed, and the wine and cheese crowd at USC can't understand how they weren't even considered. Clean sweep.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
The committee is laughably bad at their job, and it's ridiculous we give that group so much power, but I couldn't be happier with this season's selections. Big 12 is in safely and $30 million richer, Jim Delaney is pissed, and the wine and cheese crowd at USC can't understand how they weren't even considered. Clean sweep.
OU getting in just paid for CMC’s pay raise. Dilly Dilly!

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Wisconsin and Alabama are both 0-1 against top 10 teams and 3-1 against top 30 teams. Sagarin has Alabama's SoS at 56 and Wisconsin at 50. Wisconsin lost by 4 to #5 tOSU and Alabama lost by 12 to #7 Auburn. Wisconsin also has one extra win and at least played for their conference championship. The committee just demonstrated that they will never leave out both tOSU and Alabama. The fact that USC and Wisconsin were not seriously considered is testament to that fact.

The "eye test" is just a "which team is my favorite" test and is just used as an excuse to constantly favor certain teams, especially if those teams are from the heavily sold SEC.

The more i think about it, the more ridiculous it seems to even have a "committe"

At-Large bids are bull ****!

Win you're damn conference and receive an automatic invite to the playoff. How hard is this to create??

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
It should be

Georgia
Clemson
Oklahoma
USC
Ohio State
UCF

Absolutely no discussion is necessary.

• Funny
Reactions: harimad

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The more i think about it, the more ridiculous it seems to even have a "committe"

At-Large bids are bull ****!

Win you're damn conference and receive an automatic invite to the playoff. How hard is this to create??

Ohio State made their own bed last year by making the playoffs without winning the conference.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Ohio State made their own bed last year by making the playoffs without winning the conference.

I don't care about Ohio St or any of the teams, BUT, you're right. If the committee were to be consistent, they should have Alabama in the playoff this year.

Problem is, the whole system is a total joke. There should be no committee. They need to create automatic bids based on conference champions.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

All P5 conferences get a cut whether you make it or not. And you don't get any extra money for going to the NC

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Disagree.

6-team playoff. The 5 P-5 conference champions qualify plus the best conference champion from the other conferences. Seeds 1 and 2 get a bye into the semis, seeds 3 and 4 host the first round on their campus.
Agree with everything except 3 and 4 getting home field. The big bowls are on rotation already for the cfp so there are plenty of bowls to go around for this proposed cfp system

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
All P5 conferences get a cut whether you make it or not. And you don't get any extra money for going to the NC

I was referring to adding the conference championship game, which has been ridiculed since it was announced (you know, after the Big 12 was ridiculed for not having one). It didn't backfire like the media was salivating over.

But I can see how my statement was misleading.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was referring to adding the conference championship game, which has been ridiculed since it was announced (you know, after the Big 12 was ridiculed for not having one). It didn't backfire like the media was salivating over.

But I can see how my statement was misleading.
Ah carry on then

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Disagree.

6-team playoff. The 5 P-5 conference champions qualify plus the best conference champion from the other conferences. Seeds 1 and 2 get a bye into the semis, seeds 3 and 4 host the first round on their campus.

I completely disagree.

A bye is a massive advantage, as is home field, and i think everyone should be on more even footing. Especially when the committee is seeding things and will no doubt give that advantage to their favorite 'name' teams every.single.time.

8 teams settles everything. 5 conference champions, a g5 team, and 2 spots for anyone who might have a legitimate argument.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I completely disagree.

A bye is a massive advantage, as is home field, and i think everyone should be on more even footing. Especially when the committee is seeding things and will no doubt give that advantage to their favorite 'name' teams every.single.time.

8 teams settles everything. 5 conference champions, a g5 team, and 2 spots for anyone who might have a legitimate argument.

Especially when the committee is seeding things and will no doubt give that advantage to their favorite 'name' teams every.single.time.

cy2win

May 15, 2006
8 team playoff. Eliminate conference championship games. All this proves they mean zilch.

For the conference championship games to be considered play in for the CFP, they would need to expand to at least 6. This would be a pretty good playoff in my opinion:
#1 Clemson, #2 OU, #3 Georgia, #4 Ohio St, #5 USC, #6 UCF

Apply the CFP selection logic to the NFL and it is just ludicrous. The NFL would fold in one year if they adopted it. Eliminate the conference championships and every Saturday truly becomes meaningful. Scoreboard should always decide with a well defined tie breaker system. Conference champions get into the Playoffs just like the division winners. I am tired of watching this figure skating process. If you are in a weak conference/division, sorry strong conferences, there is no crying in football.