Collin Bevins to NWMSU

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So if this kid has NFL ambitions, how will a fear of big cities hinder that... last I checked there's no NFL franchises in rural missouri.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I refuse to believe this. If his heart was no longer in it, he would not be enrolling at a D2 school to play football. I passed up tons of financial aid to walk on at ISU because I wanted to play Division I football and wouldn't settle for less. Any serious competitor wants to play against the best competition, and that's D-I. This kid either got ****** off at something that happened at ISU, or he wasn't a real competitor to begin with. Considering that he was listed as a starter on the depth chart, I find it hard to believe he wasn't a competitor. Therefore, something ****** him off, and he took it out on ISU.

You could very well be right.

But what if the drive that you are talking about that you would not settle for less than D1 wasnt there for him? Maybe whatever sacrifices he was making both physically and mentally were not worth it for him to be at ISU? Maybe being away from his friends and family was more than he was willing to give up? Its like others have said some people are just very attached to their lifestyle from their upbringing (ie small town etc). There are people every year that leave colleges all over the US and go back home or go someplace that they feel more comfortable.

Again you could very well be right, perhaps there is something that happened that caused him to leave, on the other hand it could have just been that he was uncomfortable with his surroundings.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Y'know what?

It's not like I haven't done dumb things with my life before. So, I'm not going to jump on someone else who appears to have done that exact same kind of thing. Best wishes to Collin, and on to the next guy...

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
The SW Iowa hate in this thread is unbelievable to me.

To those of you who responded to the ignorance and had your posts deleted too, I apologize. But I'm not going to stand for that crap.

Kilgore - Yes I am from SW Iowa. And yes, I'm DAMN proud of it too.

I grew up there. I chose to then go back and work for one of the top ag stations in the state, KMA in Shenandoah right out of college for three years.

Take the front-runner Nebraska fans on that side of the state out of the picture and there are some GREAT Iowa State supporters in that corner of the state.

Calling people hillbillies just because of where they are from and live, without knowing them at all? Not cool.

Right freaking on CW! I've always been proud that my fellow Cyclone fans were the more salt of the earth down home people. Tailgate in IC and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It seems the DSM suburb attitude that anywhere that isn't in the DSM area is full of hillbilly's and rubes seem to be seeping into the Cyclone nation. It's a shame...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe coaches were trying to get more out of him than he wanted to give, although his major is PE.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He left at a time that screws the program about as much as possible without him having to sit out or anything. That combined with his comments about not liking his teammates and the atmosphere at ISU makes me think there is some vindictiveness involved as well as wanting to be the BMOC. Was he majoring in PE at Iowa State? Seems like he is trying not to exert a lot of effort at the moment.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
Right freaking on CW! I've always been proud that my fellow Cyclone fans were the more salt of the earth down home people. Tailgate in IC and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It seems the DSM suburb attitude that anywhere that isn't in the DSM area is full of hillbilly's and rubes seem to be seeping into the Cyclone nation. It's a shame...

Come on man, a lot of us in the DSM suburbs don't believe that at all.
I like small towns a lot and very rarely do I hear anyone in WDM bad mouthing the people who live in small towns in Iowa or the towns themselves.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Looks like his brother Jared is at Simpson playing FB and wrestling. I suppose maybe he could want to do both too. Jared majoring in Exercise Science, not sure if that is any different than PE.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I like small towns a lot and very rarely do I hear anyone in WDM bad mouthing the people who live in small towns in Iowa or the towns themselves.

Certainly didn't mean to imply everybody in DSM thinks that way but read any of the MULTIPLE threads that have been started on CF alone relating toward how any town that is small or has people other than white college educated men is a hell hole. My bet is that most live in the DSM/Ames area...

Reactions: CTTB78

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can understand your IC point the rest I can't. I've never heard a DSM person say that because most DSM people are transplants now a days. People that went to ISU and now work at Wells, Nationwide, Principal, etc.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I'm not sure why this thread is even still open.

No one seems to have real knowledge (based on facts) of what has happened other than Bevins is now at NWMSU. Only speculation about how and why he left along with people calling out ISU coaching staff, and geographical sterotypes.

No good will come from any further discussion.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Maybe we all should stop referring to the "DSM suburb attitude" or the "small town attitude" and realize that the stereotypes don't fit either way. Just my $0.02.

For all of the huffing and puffing on here about small-town living being under attack, especially in the last few days, it has felt to me that "city living" is what is actually unwelcome. Everyone needs to cool their jets with this stuff.

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
He left at a time that screws the program about as much as possible without him having to sit out or anything. That combined with his comments about not liking his teammates and the atmosphere at ISU makes me think there is some vindictiveness involved as well as wanting to be the BMOC. Was he majoring in PE at Iowa State? Seems like he is trying not to exert a lot of effort at the moment.
View attachment 20621

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
Who gives a ****... He's gone

I have been trying to figure out why this conversation has gone on this long too. I feel like we should move on now and leave the kid alone, he is the one that made that decision and he will have to live with it either way. I wish him good luck but I am not going to spend another minute thinking about him and be more concerned about how we should go about moving forward from this.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Maybe we all should stop referring to the "DSM suburb attitude" or the "small town attitude" and realize that the stereotypes don't fit either way. Just my $0.02.

For all of the huffing and puffing on here about small-town living being under attack, especially in the last few days, it has felt to me that "city living" is what is actually unwelcome. Everyone needs to cool their jets with this stuff.[/QUOTE]

You must not read too many threads then. Small towns, especially southern Iowa, get dumped on quite a bit on this site. Most of the posters that rag on small towns often have DM Metro locations so it feels like the "city" portion of the fanbase looks down on the small town fans.

CDUBMOM

Sep 17, 2009
Clarinda, Iowa
I wish Collin the best. NWMSU is not an easy school as some have said. It's an excellent D2 school with a great environment, just on a smaller scale. Having attended college there, as well as my daughter, the professors and students are, for the most part, a class act. Comparing Maryville, Missouri to Ames, Iowa is apples to oranges. Southwest Iowa is our slice of heaven on earth and I'm proud to be an NWMSU alumni as well as a Southwest Iowan. Again, Collin, the best of luck and I hope you find what you're looking for, but go State!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
One of my old exes transferred to NWMU from UNI where she finally was able to get her teaching degree. It helped out to leave the big waterloo/cf metropolis for Maryville.