COLUMN: The Big 12 finally feels like a functional family

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
My column from today. Those who watch the show Succession, might appreciate.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the big step was the schools accepting that we're third but a solid third and that's ok. Like I said in another thread, we can be the $50 girl at a $100 table while the PAC is the ladyboy from Bangkok.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think the big step was the schools accepting that we're third but a solid third and that's ok. Like I said in another thread, we can be the $50 girl at a $100 table while the PAC is the ladyboy from Bangkok.
See if you can spot Mandel in this gif:

a946be9e-b77d-471c-a207-b099e37577b1_text.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@ChrisMWilliams could have written a fine July 4th column with this line --

The new Big 12 is a group of ornery misfits that have all been told they aren’t good enough to live on the big block.

Change it to this and it works just fine to describe the country as a whole --

Americans are a group of ornery misfits that have all been told they aren’t good enough to live on the big block.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Give me ladies who rate 7 of 10 instead of 10 of 10. Girls who are a ‘10’ typically are very needy. They think they are perfect and demand everything. If they don’t like something, they will just leave.

Girls who rate 7 possess many of the same qualities of a ‘10’, but tend to appreciate things more. Guys tend to have a much happier life with a ‘7’ girl than a ‘10’ girl

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My column from today. Those who watch the show Succession, might appreciate.

My take, and best quote:
"Will SEC or Big Ten programs lower ticket prices for fans now that they are cashing larger TV checks? Are hot dogs cheaper when you want to feed your growing family at a game? Are athletic departments no longer asking for donations because the TV contract has grown?

"Hell no. Because none of this has anything to do with the fans. It’s for coaching salaries, buyouts (burning money) and facilities that you will never use."

That's a pretty powerful statement, Chris, and I agree. Good job.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
@ChrisMWilliams could have written a fine July 4th column with this line --

The new Big 12 is a group of ornery misfits that have all been told they aren’t good enough to live on the big block.

Change it to this and it works just fine to describe the country as a whole --

Americans are a group of ornery misfits that have all been told they aren’t good enough to live on the big block.

Or Bill Murray in Stripes. Let's fly a goddam pirate flag and brand from there. You tried to kill us. Marginalize us.

Here. We. Stand.

"We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?"

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Give me ladies who rate 7 of 10 instead of 10 of 10. Girls who are a ‘10’ typically are very needy. They think they are perfect and demand everything. If they don’t like something, they will just leave.

Girls who rate 7 possess many of the same qualities of a ‘10’, but tend to appreciate things more. Guys tend to have a much happier life with a ‘7’ girl than a ‘10’ girl

Texas was like a 10 but one is a D and the other a B

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Or Bill Murray in Stripes. Let's fly a goddam pirate flag and brand from there. You tried to kill us. Marginalize us.

Here. We. Stand.

"We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?"
There you go. You're gonna make me do it, aren't you?

Now I need to see that movie again! :D

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Here. We. Stand.

I'm glad somebody understood the sly reference to Stripes up there.

While Bill Murray plays it for laughs, the point itself is damn true. Americans are the rejects from the rest of the world. We're the descendants of the younger sons who inherited neither land nor title. The serfs and the peasants who wanted land and opportunity of their own. Of those sold into slavery and brought here under bondage. Bastard children, criminals, con artists, and rapists looking to start over in a new town (or, heck, a new continent) where nobody knew their name and they have no reputation to hold them back. Religious weirdos and various types of cults seeking to escape the corruptions of the Old World and create their own utopia here. The ones who wanted more than the little they had and were willing to risk everything to make it happen.

Mix all them together, and you have Americans.

This heritage explains much about why American society is so different from European society and even other English-speaking nations and why importing a few surface-level policies from the latter to the former won't result in much change. Americans are simply bananas in comparison to our peers in other developed nations. We're more tolerant of risk and violent and far less deferential to authority. That certainly has its downsides. But we're all innovators, entrepreneurs, the source of much of the dynamism in human civilization. I do not think it is entirely a coincidence human history has changed more in the past 250 years than it had in the previous 12,000 and that period happens to coincide with the founding of these United States 247 years ago.

We're genetically and socially selected to be like this. The compliant ones left. The ornery malcontents ended up dumped on our shores or our borders. Much of everything else flows from this.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

While Bill Murray plays it for laughs, the point itself is damn true. Americans are the rejects from the rest of the world. We're the descendants of the younger sons who inherited neither land nor title. The serfs and the peasants who wanted land and opportunity of their own. Of those sold into slavery and brought here under bondage. Bastard children, criminals, con artists, and rapists looking to start over in a new town (or, heck, a new continent) where nobody knew their name and they have no reputation to hold them back. Religious weirdos and various types of cults seeking to escape the corruptions of the Old World and create their own utopia here. The ones who wanted more than the little they had and were willing to risk everything to make it happen.

This heritage explains much about why American society is so different from European society and even other English-speaking nations and why importing a few surface-level policies from the latter to the former won't result in much change. Americans are simply bananas in comparison to our peers in other developed nations. We're more tolerant of risk and violent and far less deferential to authority. That certainly has its downsides. But we're all innovators, entrepreneurs, the source of much of the dynamism in human civilization. I do not think it is entirely a coincidence human history has changed more in the past 250 years than it had in the previous 12,000 and that period happens to coincide with the founding of these United States 247 years ago.

We're genetically and socially selected to be like this. The compliant ones left. The ornery malcontents ended up dumped on our shores or our borders. Much of everything else flows from this.
Only Americans would say, “**** the metric system and **** soccer. REAL football is measured in yards.”
:campbell:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Have to disagree, when players are getting paid by the schools the money will most definitely matter. It’s not a family by choice, any of the group would jump if able. We are where we are and need to make the best of the situation and hold onto third, but it’s not better than ever as a conference in football.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Only Americans would say, “**** the metric system and **** soccer. REAL football is measured in yards.”
:campbell:
Do I dare say it...
- Canadian football fields are marked out in yards as well.
- Soccer fields are measured in yards (18 yard box, 6 yard box - or simply 18 and 6, penalty mark is 12 yards, penalty arc is 10 yards, center circle is 10 yards, goal 8 yards x 8 feet, defenders must retreat 10 yards on a free or corner kick) pretty much the world over. If it is marked out in meters it is clearly a conversion like 9.15m for the center circle.

;)

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah and NWICY

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Do I dare say it...
- Canadian football fields are marked out in yards as well.
- Soccer fields are measured in yards (18 yard box, 6 yard box - or simply 18 and 6, penalty mark is 12 yards, penalty arc is 10 yards, center circle is 10 yards, goal 8 yards x 8 feet, defenders must retreat 10 yards on a free or corner kick) pretty much the world over. If it is marked out in meters it is clearly a conversion like 9.15m for the center circle.

;)
Good. ‘Murica.

Reactions: VeloClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

America is not Australia, where England loaded up the prisons and the ***** houses and sent them away, in fact we are just the opposite. America was founded by those that wanted a better life for themselves and their children, by those that were not going to get the title and inherence that the first son was going to get. Some came for religious freedom, but most came for a better life, few were criminal's con artist or the rest, we had something that was unimaginable in the old world, and that was LAND, cheap land, that they could own, not controlled by the wealthy or the church but by themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan