COLUMN: What we learned about the Cyclones last week in Atlantis

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I honestly thought we showed we could play with some of the best. Michigan took care of NC and destroyed Gonzaga. We were right there with them and Seton Hall. Just a few lulls where we didn't score (poor shooting and ball control) otherwise we might have won a game or two more. I felt much better about this team after that tourney. Looking forward to Seton Hall at Hilton this weekend.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
General thoughts on our nine guys...

Haliburton = Basically the Halo: CE pistol of college basketball right now. He simultaneously breaks the game, then makes it fun and defines it. I hope we enjoy him as much as we can, because he is probably gone next year.

Bolton = As CW said, he has struggled with consistency and shooting so far, but he has definitely flashed high-level SG play in the past two weeks. I think we are going to quite enjoy him being a Cyclone the next 2.75+ years in Ames.

Nixon = He played himself out of the doghouse on Paradise Island, but I still think he is better for the team when he is playing defense and moving the ball instead of searching for his shot. We will see if it stays that way going forward.

Jacobson = He has been probably the largest disappointment so far. Solomon has looked more fundamentally sound as the "solid" guy on offense and defense and Conditt has showed more flash as the rim-protector and rim-to-rim guy. I think he is just suffering from not having the same guard talent around him where he could operate on the block 1v1 and now has to dwell in a crowded forest. He lacks Solomon's strength and bulk or Conditt's height and motor, so he is looking more and more like the tweener that he was at Nebraska instead of last year where he fit nicely as the 5 in the 4/1.

Young = Definitely "back" and showing much more flexibility and skill on his offensive game than before. I think you keep him at the 5 and...

Jackson = Agree with everything that CW said.

Grill = Agree again. I think we are going to quite enjoy having these two young men as the foundation of our guard corps going forward (with Bolton). Jackson is the more polished, but you can just see Grill brimming with potential as an athlete and player. He only just now decided to specialize with basketball, so I imagine it will only be upwards from here. Bolton-Jackson-Grill probably start the first game next season.

Griffin = I have a feeling he might be the one to see his minutes cut as the rotation shrinks. I am not sure he has really brought much to the "4" spot, and I think that we probably are better served going with 4/1 with the above guys at guard.

Conditt = I know he gives up open shots sometimes, but he is playing for the ball and shots. KenPom is right that he needs to play more and maybe start.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
General thoughts on our nine guys...

Haliburton = Basically the Halo: CE pistol of college basketball right now. He simultaneously breaks the game, then makes it fun and defines it. I hope we enjoy him as much as we can, because he is probably gone next year.

Bolton = As CW said, he has struggled with consistency and shooting so far, but he has definitely flashed high-level SG play in the past two weeks. I think we are going to quite enjoy him being a Cyclone the next 2.75+ years in Ames.

Nixon = He played himself out of the Doghouse on Paradise Island, but I still think he is better for the team when he is playing defense and moving the ball instead of searching for his shot. We will see if it stays that way going forward.

Jacobson = He has been probably the largest disappointment so far. Solomon has looked more fundamentally sound as the "solid" guy on offense and defense and Conditt has showed more flash as the rim-protector and rim-to-rim guy. I think he is just suffering from not having the same guard talent around him where he could operate on the block 1v1 and now has to dwell in a crowded forest.

Young = Definitely "back" and showing much more flexibility and skill on his offensive game than before. I think you keep him at the 5 and...

Jackson = Agree with everything that CW said.

Grill = Agree again. I think we are going to quite enjoy having these two young men as the foundation of our guard corps going forward (with Bolton).

Griffin = I have a feeling he might be the one to see his minutes cut as the rotation shrinks. I am not sure he has really brought much to the "4" spot, and I think that we probably are better served going with 4/1 with the above guys.

Conditt = I know he gives up open shots sometimes, but he is playing for the ball and shots. KenPom is right that he needs to play more and maybe start.
Conditt needs a lot more minutes.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I agree with CW's favorite lineup. Not sure it is going to be the best lineup any given night, or that you can play them all 30 minutes (you can't). But I think I'd have more Jackson and less Nixon, and more Conditt and less Jake/Solo.

That said, I don't expect CSP to play a freshman and a sophmore substantially more than 3 seniors. That's not in his DNA, imho. And it may be the smarter thing to do anyway.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
What I learned from the BFA tourney is that if this team can shoot a better percentage from the field and grab more rebounds, then we've got a shot to make the tournament. Right now, I don't see ISU making it to the dance, but the good news is that it's early, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I’m hoping Jackson continues eating into Nixon’s minutes until they’re at least even come conference play.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Rebounding continues to be our achilles heal and I find it really frustrating. We were out rebounded by 11, 9, and 11 and that just isn't going to cut it. IMO that isn't getting talked about enough.

Block out, block out, block out! Saw way too many times where ISU players were just standing near the basket waiting for something to happen and the other team went around them and put the ball in, or got the rebound. Really frustrating since at this level that should be an automatic reaction when the balls goes up. George was really bad at this, and may be part of the reason he doesn't get more time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more optimistic about this team's ceiling now than I was before we went to the Bahamas.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more optimistic about this team's ceiling now than I was before we went to the Bahamas.

We went 1-2 but all our rankings and projections improved on the computer sites. Losing to an excellent Michigan and very good Seton Hall is anything but shameful.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We went 1-2 but all our rankings and projections improved on the computer sites. Losing to an excellent Michigan and very good Seton Hall is anything but shameful.
We could've gone to a tournament with a worse field, gone 2-1 or even 3-0 to give us a better looking record, but it wouldn't give us any insight to how this team competes against top competition. We obviously have more a lot of stuff to figure out as a team, but I like what I saw there. Most of the analysts in the post game and half time shows were pinning us as a tournament team, and if we play like we did this whole tournament, I definitely agree.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We'll see how it goes but some potential is there.

Gonna need more offense from the front court.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Wish it clicked for Zion and he ran away with the PF position that would solve quite a few issues, he just seems to have defensive lapses quite a bit where Mike J doesnt (he just doesnt have the athleticism to be a 4 against talented teams).

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Rebounding continues to be our achilles heal and I find it really frustrating. We were out rebounded by 11, 9, and 11 and that just isn't going to cut it. IMO that isn't getting talked about enough.
Their defensive rebounding percentage at the tournament was 63% which is absolutely atrocious. You can't win with that.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
In Steve's defense, I don't think he ever planned on THT going pro after the first year when he was constructing this team. THT would fit perfectly with this group of guys. A lot of the holes we are looking at have been because of guys leaving early for the pros. Part of the deal tho when you're playing big boy basketball.