[Committed] '21 CB 6'3" Winsome Frazier

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
University of Iowa State University... that’s a new one
g6oYIaC.gif

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
awesome! Welcome to cyclone nation, looking forward to seeing you on the field.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Another win for Iowa State!!!! We do, after all, winsome!

Frazier joins Deon Silas from Florida, to go along with TJ Tampa, Michael Antoine, Aidan Bitter, Ar"Quel Smith and Anthony Smith who are all Florida freshmen this season. FL is giving us some good ones!

Thought we used to recruit by territories, but now it looks more like each assistant coach is recruiting to his specialty. Maybe?

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He had a bunch of good offers at Safety. We want him at CB, which works well in our defense. Seems like from the video he has really good stop and start ability although long speed is a question. Elite size at any of the DB positions. I think that he could be a pretty good CB given we play with 3 Safeties. Line up against bigger WRs and hit them at the LOS. And if CB doesn't work out, he could be a really good Safety for us. Having a 6'3 CB is a big plus...upside is huge.

Reactions: bozclone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Welcome aboard, Winsome.

I'm no talent evaluator but it seems like we could use a little height in the D backfield.

Also, please use the time you'll inevitably have to spend in quarantine after your trip from Florida to practice the school's name.

"Winsome" is a waaaayyy better name than "Loseall".

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He had a bunch of good offers at Safety. We want him at CB, which works well in our defense. Seems like from the video he has really good stop and start ability although long speed is a question. Elite size at any of the DB positions. I think that he could be a pretty good CB given we play with 3 Safeties. Line up against bigger WRs and hit them at the LOS. And if CB doesn't work out, he could be a really good Safety for us. Having a 6'3 CB is a big plus...upside is huge.
I remember when a kid named Aqib Talib was a freshman at KU. I thought he lacked long speed for corner. Turned out he did okay.

Reactions: Snydes

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I don’t know, Heacock mixes up what the CBs do a lot. They pressed and bailed, started off and came up, mixed up man and zone. Seems like he can provide a ton of versatility as a S, or situationally as a CB. With so many teams favoring smaller shiftier receivers it’s hard to imagine a guy 6’3” with the hips to play CB in the same way ISU has used CBs every week.

I could be wrong, but there’s a reason 6’3” corners don’t exist. I think this is a huge get, and he could be used as a CB, but I will be surprised he doesn’t end up as a S.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don’t know, Heacock mixes up what the CBs do a lot. They pressed and bailed, started off and came up, mixed up man and zone. Seems like he can provide a ton of versatility as a S, or situationally as a CB. With so many teams favoring smaller shiftier receivers it’s hard to imagine a guy 6’3” with the hips to play CB in the same way ISU has used CBs every week.

I could be wrong, but there’s a reason 6’3” corners don’t exist. I think this is a huge get, and he could be used as a CB, but I will be surprised he doesn’t end up as a S.

I think that he could be a little like DeAndre Payne in that he switches in between CB and Star. They've tried the "big" CB in the past (Jay Jones, Thadd Daniels) and it hasn't worked out that well. They couldn't find a home at CB for Richard Bowens and Keonte Jones. I do think that there's some value in a bigger corner if they're playing press or in the redzone, but the guys we usually get that are that size don't have the hips to play CB full time. I definitely think that it's a good gamble to take, as Frazier at the very least should be a solid Safety. And if it turns out he CAN play CB at this level, ISU got a major steal.

Reactions: Crookedhatkid

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Heacock likes length at corner to play his zone scheme. We play some man coverage but mostly zone. NFL plays mostly man coverage where length is less important than athletic skills

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron