"Comparing Iowa State basketball over the past three seasons"

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks for posting.

This is very interesting, but I wish some defensive numbers would have been included.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
wow. we are spoiled and babies. i think the OT games are what soured people. If we were 3-0 in OT games this board would be exploding with praise for CSP.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Thanks for posting. Good article. The difference this year compared to past two years is simply "expectations".

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Interesting, however the past few games the team has not played well at all. I don't need statistics to tell me that. Hope they can right the ship.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Great article to put this year into perspective. Not yet a huge CSP fan, but in no way do I blame this season on him. As the article clearly demonstrates, we have held our performance together despite loss of Naz, flakiness of McCay, and crappy recruiting by Fred his last two years.

We are victims of our own high expectations. Not unwarranted given the returning team, but we are in a meat grinder of a conference and we are short 2 bench contributors.

Best news, we can still make noise in NCAA and feel very good about this squad. Georges deserves to go out on a high note.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
That 13-14 team was really fun to watch, so clutch. Think they could have gone all the way had Niang not broke his foot.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for posting. Good article. The difference this year compared to past two years is simply "expectations".

People definitely didn't expect to be in the bottom half of the conference tied with a Texas Tech group that returns everyone from a 3-15 team at this point...

We're looking at finishing in the bottom half of the conference despite having 2 Naismith finalists, the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year, and breakout seasons from Thomas and Nader...I doubt any Big 12 team in the bottom half of the conference has ever had 2 first team all conference performers, let alone the Big 12 Newcomer of the year and a couple other guys having career years.

Last edited:

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
And it's funny how close we were to finishing 9-9 in the conference. I'd say this year's team is probably better than that year's, actually.

Have to disagree, when that team was locked in they were going to win. This team can't finish very well, at least not consistently. Look how many close games there are in college bball, finishing close games is important. Ejim, Hogue, and Kane brought some toughness to the team.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
It's no secret that the problem with this team is how they play in the lat 10 mins of the game. I'd like a comparison of offensive and defensive efficiency in the last 10 mins of the game for this team compared to the '13-'14 team (with the WVU game as a huge outlier that year).

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Oh hey, I wrote this.

About some of the comments in here:

I definitely think the last several games have been very bad defensively and that's something KenPom doesn't reflect 100% accurately, since it's based upon a whole body of work. That said, KenPom is much less fluid game-to-game than the typical "eye-test."

The main thing I wanted people to take away from this is the fact that ISU has been losing a lot of close games this season. If Monte had gotten that shot off half a second quicker against Baylor or if we had put Texas away in regulation down in Austin, this season is probably being regarded in a much more positive light. We're a few bounces away from being in 2nd or 3rd place right now. The season is far from over.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Oh hey, I wrote this.

I definitely think the last several games have been very bad defensively and that's something KenPom doesn't reflect 100% accurately, since it's based upon a whole body of work. That said, KenPom is much less fluid game-to-game than the typical "eye-test."

The main thing I wanted people to take away from this is the fact that ISU has been losing a lot of close games this season. If Monte had gotten that shot off half a second quicker against Baylor or if we had put Texas away in regulation down in Austin, this season is probably being regarded in a much more positive light. We're a few bounces away from being in 2nd or 3rd place right now. The season is far from over.

Scatter about 10 points at key times throughout those losses and we could be in first.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Oh hey, I wrote this.

I understand your point about close games. With that said, the bolded basically says "If we had won more games, fans would think the season was going better." To which I say... duh.

Nice article though and I know that wasn't your point but fans are all about Ws and Ls. ISU has been losing a lot of close games. KenPom and others calls that "luck." Fans usually attribute that to being soft, weak-minded, etc. Because it's all about the Ws and Ls.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
The sweet 16 team could rebound the ball, this year's cannot. If only Niang hadn't broken his foot...a top 10 all-time cyclone nut shot.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It comes down to being clutch and we're not. We lose close games because that's the position we put ourselves in. I got beat up on the Scout site because I said that this team has a lower ceiling. I also said that something is missing. It's maybe a little tough to put my finger on it, but it's there. We have a lot of talent, but something isn't translating to production on the floor. I personally don't see us winning more than 1 game in the NCAA's. I have a hard time seeing is even winning a game in the conference tournament.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
wow. we are spoiled and babies. i think the OT games are what soured people. If we were 3-0 in OT games this board would be exploding with praise for CSP.

Prohm is doing a good job. He may not be perfect and I do think the jury is still out for a couple years (it has to be), but I still think most people hammering him are doing so because they perceive him as a goodie-goodie.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The '13-'14 team had its struggles too. Bad losses. Too many close games. What changes our perspective is that they had a great run through the Bi12 tourney and the NCAA tourney. At this point in the season, that team was ranked in about the same spot as this team. This season will be defined by the NCAA tourney.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This may be oversimplifying things, but what about this analysis:

The last two years have been characterized by slow starts in games, but great finishes.

This year has been characterized by good starts, but not so good finishes.

Perhaps this is another way of saying that I miss Kane, Ejim, and Naz.