Computer Service Locations - Troubleshoot

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Long story short, my custom built PC is having freezing issues 3 years later. It's beyond my troubleshooting, technical skills and looks like I need to "take it to the shop".

I thought, no better place than CF to ask for good local recommendations for services centers. Thanks in advance.

p.s. for those curious. seems like Windows Explorer keeps freezing on heaving ram usage. I've ran memory diagnostic and isolated a bad ram stick, which I've removed, and has helped, but explorer keeps freezing. I've ran scanned systems files for repair, etc., even reinstalled windows. So I'm thinking it's something deeper than just software.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Long story short, my custom built PC is having freezing issues 3 years later. It's beyond my troubleshooting, technical skills and looks like I need to "take it to the shop".

I thought, no better place than CF to ask for good local recommendations for services centers. Thanks in advance.

p.s. for those curious. seems like Windows Explorer keeps freezing on heaving ram usage. I've ran memory diagnostic and isolated a bad ram stick, which I've removed, and has helped, but explorer keeps freezing. I've ran scanned systems files for repair, etc., even reinstalled windows. So I'm thinking it's something deeper than just software.
Have you run the memory diagnostic with the bad RAM stick removed to make sure the other one isn't bad too?

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Have you run the memory diagnostic with the bad RAM stick removed to make sure the other one isn't bad too?
Sure did. Even ran the open source memtest86 which helped me isolate which stick it was (1 had 4x16). I thought this solved it, which it did help, but still have had multiple instances of locked up on simple things dealing with explorer.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Have you taken a look at heat? Freezing after you reinstalled windows would point me to heat. If a stick of ram makes it past posting, it's probably good still.

https://nzxt.com/software/cam?sscid=11k8_4bate should help you get a handle on what your CPU temp is, feels like it's overheating to me from what you are saying.
That crossed my mind as well. I should check my liquid cooler to be sure. I made sure to run through and clean out the unit. Got intake from the front with 3 fans, and outake with 4 fans as well as my liquid cooler. Great suggestion as I definitely need all the help I can.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Just curious. When you reboot, do you have enough time to peruse the Windows logs? Just curious if there's a consistent freeze point at the software level.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Just curious. When you reboot, do you have enough time to peruse the Windows logs? Just curious if there's a consistent freeze point at the software level.
Yes, restart usually allows me time to work as normal until I push the machine (heating and/or ram issue). Usually requiring and hard reboot.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Yes, restart usually allows me time to work as normal until I push the machine (heating and/or ram issue). Usually requiring and hard reboot.
Is there a 'critical' process right before the freeze? If random, likely hardware. If same process, could be either. But, at least you'd know what process is pushing it the hardest.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Is there a 'critical' process right before the freeze? If random, likely hardware. If same process, could be either. But, at least you'd know what process is pushing it the hardest.
Great question and something I've been trying to track. I'm mostly pushing hard editing through photoshop. Usually it's the process a saving, file management, that things get caught. Even had creating a new folder stall out. I'll be working, editing fine, go to save, and it hangs. Once that happens, trying to close, end task, restart explorer is non existent and I've had to do a hard boot.

Once I reinstalled windows, I only installed the necessary programs to test and also finish my production of work. It was there than I identified the bad ram stick, but also still having freezing issues. Considering the system scan turned up nothing, and sort of random, I'm leaning to hardware (overheating even). Maybe new RAM would help, but existing sticks returned error free after removing the bad one.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Great question and something I've been trying to track. I'm mostly pushing hard editing through photoshop. Usually it's the process a saving, file management, that things get caught. Even had creating a new folder stall out. I'll be working, editing fine, go to save, and it hangs. Once that happens, trying to close, end task, restart explorer is non existent and I've had to do a hard boot.

Once I reinstalled windows, I only installed the necessary programs to test and also finish my production of work. It was there than I identified the bad ram stick, but also still having freezing issues. Considering the system scan turned up nothing, and sort of random, I'm leaning to hardware (overheating even). Maybe new RAM would help, but existing sticks returned error free after removing the bad one.
Again, the logs might provide specifics. That said, don't discount the auto sync Microsoft does to the cloud. I've turned mine off. But, then again, I don't use Microsoft for anything except OS. Just some extra thoughts.

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
Had a similar issue (random restarts and weird behavior, but only once every umpteen hours) with my brother's PC. We found two problems; the first was that his TIM (aka thermal paste) had degraded between his CPU and the cooling unit. We cleaned that up and decided to pop out the CPU and check things before reapplying the paste...and found the second issue: the CPU was fine, but one of the pins in the motherboard CPU socket was broken. We found a "new to us" motherboard and replaced the old one and voila!

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
How big are these files, is it over a NAS? It seems very strange that Windows Explorer of all things is hanging like it's '95 again.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
If the shutdowns happen during file operations then start with looking at the storage drive and connections of it.
Lookup how to do a SMART scan of the drive. And pop open the PC then reseat the cables of the drive.

It could be the psu is dying. You said it was a custom build. Often times an extra buck is saved by skimping on the psu.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Had a similar issue (random restarts and weird behavior, but only once every umpteen hours) with my brother's PC. We found two problems; the first was that his TIM (aka thermal paste) had degraded between his CPU and the cooling unit. We cleaned that up and decided to pop out the CPU and check things before reapplying the paste...and found the second issue: the CPU was fine, but one of the pins in the motherboard CPU socket was broken. We found a "new to us" motherboard and replaced the old one and voila!
Oh gosh that’s a heck of a deal. The thermal paste and liquid cooler are exactly where my head is at. On either is a bad ssd tjat the os and files are managed. Getting it looked at tomorrow.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
If the shutdowns happen during file operations then start with looking at the storage drive and connections of it.
Lookup how to do a SMART scan of the drive. And pop open the PC then reseat the cables of the drive.

It could be the psu is dying. You said it was a custom build. Often times an extra buck is saved by skimping on the psu.
Also considered this. I was using files off an external ssd. So I moved to the local m.2 ssd but still had same issues. Figured it was something else and not the ssd itself.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Curious what the specs on the computer are.
Let’s see:

Prime Z490 motherboard
Intel 10900?? CPU. It’s unlocked but I don’t overclock. 10 core, 20 thread
3 of 4 Corsair 16 GB ram ( 1 bad)
AMD 6700XT graphics
M.2 980 Pro ssd. 500 for OS and apps, 1 TB for storage.
PSU 850 gold I think…this one is hard to remember.
2 fan liquid cooler
3 front fans intake
4 fan outtake( 3 top 1 back)