Concrete help

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
So, I tore off our front porch this weekend and we're doubling the length of it. After getting it knocked off we found an old cement slab.

I've talked to the city and it needs to be 42" deep. It's only 9" deep. We need to take it out so we can place new footings and poles in.

I need someone that can break up that concrete and haul it away. As soon as possible.

Thanks for the help.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The city is telling you you need a 42" slab under the entire footprint of the porch? I don't think you understood them correctly. I think they were saying you need 42" deep footings. Which you could put in without tearing out the entire old slab.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
The load it will be carrying is just three walls, the roofline and the interior.

The city inspector tol me that we couldn't use the existing foundation toctieninto if it didn't go down 42". I would think a 9" thick slab would hold more than what we need.

I need to find someone that can break it up and haul it away. We'll then go back and dig our holes at 42" and get them set for te city to inspect.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
As long as the existing slab isn't going to interfere with the elevation of your new porch floor, I wouldn't go to the expense of tearing out the entire old slab. Just jackhammer it out where you want your footings.