Confirmed: McDermott will be back next season

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I for one am thrilled that the speculation has ended. With that said, I am NOT looking forward to the same song that the Mac haters will be singing on here when we lose our first game next year.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
It says the AD will send out an explanation for the decision. Anyone care to post that letter when they get it?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No surprise. Need to hope for a nice showing in the Big 12 Tourney this week and a possible NIT run, or fan support will be way down for next season...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Dear Cyclone fans,
Nearly four years ago, we implemented several strategic decisions to elevate our athletics program within the Big 12 Conference. Our initiatives were to grow funding, enhance facilities and improve academic and competitive performance.
I am pleased to share with you that we have made significant progress:
1. We have increased annual funding for our athletics program from $28 million to $42 million. More importantly, we have achieved that level of funding while reducing our annual reliance on State support from 12% to less than 5%.
2. We have invested more than $50 million in critical facility upgrades and new construction, including the Hixson-Lied Student Success Center, the Sukup Basketball Complex, the Jack Trice Club and a golf indoor practice facility.
3. Last fall, our student-athletes recorded the highest graduation rate (79%) in Iowa State University history. That rate led the Big 12 and was 14% higher than ISU undergraduates.
4. We are in the midst of, potentially, the best competitive season in school history. Our Directors’ Cup finish for the fall (22nd nationally) is the best in ISU history and we are currently fifth in Big 12 all-sports rankings (on the heels of finishing last in seven of the prior eight years).

Unfortunately, one of the key elements in that competitive success - men’s basketball - has not experienced the same level of on-court success as many of our other programs. The competitive performance of our men’s basketball program has been both disappointing and frustrating.
Some fans have suggested that we make a change in the leadership of our men’s basketball program. It is important to understand that many factors are considered when deciding who gets the privilege and honor to be an Iowa State head coach. Certainly, competitive success is an important measure. However, so are the personal character and integrity of our coaches and the performance of our student-athletes in the classroom and in public.
Although we have not yet won games at the level we all desire, Coach McDermott and his staff have exhibited exemplary character and integrity and our men’s basketball student-athletes have performed admirably in many areas. As a result, I remain fully committed and supportive of Coach McDermott and his staff. Our department will continue to provide the necessary resources for our men’s basketball program to be competitive in this league and nationally so that we can achieve the goals we have outlined for our department.
As investors in our athletics program – through season ticket purchases and/or donations to the Cyclone Club – we felt it was important to communicate directly to you about our men’s basketball program.
Thank you for continuing to support us. As true Cyclones, we know that we can count upon your help as we try to reach our goals.
Go Cyclones!

Sincerely,

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
[Dear Cyclone fans,
Nearly four years ago, we implemented several strategic decisions to elevate our athletics program within the Big 12 Conference. Our initiatives were to grow funding, enhance facilities and improve academic and competitive performance.
I am pleased to share with you that we have made significant progress:
1. We have increased annual funding for our athletics program from $28 million to $42 million. More importantly, we have achieved that level of funding while reducing our annual reliance on State support from 12% to less than 5%.
2. We have invested more than $50 million in critical facility upgrades and new construction, including the Hixson-Lied Student Success Center, the Sukup Basketball Complex, the Jack Trice Club and a golf indoor practice facility.
3. Last fall, our student-athletes recorded the highest graduation rate (79%) in Iowa State University history. That rate led the Big 12 and was 14% higher than ISU undergraduates.
4. We are in the midst of, potentially, the best competitive season in school history. Our Directors’ Cup finish for the fall (22nd nationally) is the best in ISU history and we are currently fifth in Big 12 all-sports rankings (on the heels of finishing last in seven of the prior eight years).

Unfortunately, one of the key elements in that competitive success - men’s basketball - has not experienced the same level of on-court success as many of our other programs. The competitive performance of our men’s basketball program has been both disappointing and frustrating.
Some fans have suggested that we make a change in the leadership of our men’s basketball program. It is important to understand that many factors are considered when deciding who gets the privilege and honor to be an Iowa State head coach. Certainly, competitive success is an important measure. However, so are the personal character and integrity of our coaches and the performance of our student-athletes in the classroom and in public.
Although we have not yet won games at the level we all desire, Coach McDermott and his staff have exhibited exemplary character and integrity and our men’s basketball student-athletes have performed admirably in many areas. As a result, I remain fully committed and supportive of Coach McDermott and his staff. Our department will continue to provide the necessary resources for our men’s basketball program to be competitive in this league and nationally so that we can achieve the goals we have outlined for our department.
As investors in our athletics program – through season ticket purchases and/or donations to the Cyclone Club – we felt it was important to communicate directly to you about our men’s basketball program.
Thank you for continuing to support us. As true Cyclones, we know that we can count upon your help as we try to reach our goals.
Go Cyclones!

Sincerely,
/QUOTE]

In other words.... "You better freakin win next year coach or your gone"..

Sincerely,

Jamie Pollard.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Yes, we got it also. Those of you interested in PR, take note of the wording and placement of topics.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Just got the letter too. Glad that he got it out of the way, now we can move forward. Season tickets might suffer, but so what. They didn't show up the last part of the season anyway. Maybe I'll get an upgrade now.

We are going with McDermott. Like him or hate him, you gotta dance with the one that brought ya. I don't see an upgrade out there, anyway, so 1 more year.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think Pollards email says anything about him returning next season. Its just the dreaded fully comitted announcement.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't think Pollards email says anything about him returning next season. Its just the dreaded fully comitted announcement.

I don't think you fire anyone you are "fully committed" to. Now if Greg leaves on his own, that is a different story.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Pollard's credibility

I suppose I could be lumped into the "hater" category over the last couple weeks, but I want to ask an honest question.
I'm working under the assumption that we won't see anything different from ISUMBB next year than we've seen the last 4.
If Pollard comes out and says that he has "confidence" in GMac or anything remotely similar to that, does that ruin his credibility when it comes to finding a new coach after next year. He will really need to be careful how he words his email to donors and ticket holders this morning IMO.