Congrats to the men

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Gallick's pin was wicked. He had that guy so twisted up that he looked like a pretzel. I believe they call that move a spladle and it hurts to be on the receiving end. Go Cyclones.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Gallick's pin was wicked. He had that guy so twisted up that he looked like a pretzel. I believe they call that move a spladle and it hurts to be on the receiving end. Go Cyclones.
That poor kid was trying to get his shoulders to the mat. He was going nowhere, and wanted it to be over.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it's safe to say that is quite uncomfortable...

bilde

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
There have been numerous wrestlers who have hurt hamstrings and groins due to that move. Michigan State had an All-American wrestler who graduated last year who used that as his go-to move even though it is a move used by a wrestler playing defense.

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
For those that didn't get to see it, Cyler Sanderson scored an awesome takedown off of a ridiculous scramble in his match. I'm not sure if there is a highlight of it somewhere but it was exciting.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Question though - why do they share the title if they beat the team with the same record as them? It doesn't make any sense to me. Why does a tiebreaker not come in to play?

I don't think too much is put into a regular season dual meet title. That may be why there is no tie breaker, kind of like how we were Co Big 12 North champs in football I suppose.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Does anyone know why we share the title? I know it has always been like that but just wondering the reason behind it...

Also...We beat the number one/two rated team while throughout the season...We lost to the current number one team so that sucks but I did not come from a wrestling High School but really got into it once I came to ISU so with that said....What does the ranking mean now? How is it determined what wrestlers go to the National Tournament from each school? I know we had the most people in it last year but I don't know how they pick who goes...Anyone?

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
....What does the ranking mean now? How is it determined what wrestlers go to the National Tournament from each school? I know we had the most people in it last year but I don't know how they pick who goes...Anyone?

Team rankings mean nothing in the long run, it just gives you an idea of what teams are competing at the highest level.

Each wrestler must qualify individually in their weight, based on conference tournament results. The Big XII only has five wrestling schools, so I think they qualify the top three automatically. There is also a chance to get drawn in as a wild card if you're in a tough conference. The national tournament is seeded using criteria that will typically track national individual rankings for each weight (or is it just the rankings?).

I couldn't find a source for all of this, so please correct me if something is not quite true....

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Yup, that would be a spladle. My high school while I was there "specialized" in it. I've been put in them and handed them out during practice (and it's a move that typically heavyweights can't do). Not comfortable on the groin area at all. It usually turns into a pin by submission (you can get that area so torqued up that the only way to make the pain stop is to give up on the match). It's also a more unrecognized move - one HS teammate had the guy in the spladle on his back and the ref wouldn't call the pin (or even give away back points) as he didn't recognize the move.

Let's just say if I ever made it to the WWE the spladle would be my submission hold.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Big 12 gets 38 qualifiers to NCAA, based on a formula that takes past conference performance into account. It went up from 36 to 38 a few years ago.

Traditionally, this is the top three finishers in each weight class (30), plus 8 wild cards voted on by the coaches directly after the tournament. The wild card session can get hot and heavy, because coaches will lobby HARD for their guy no matter what.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
It's good to see the wrestling team doing so well, this late in the season. To state the obvious, Cael was most definitely a good "get" as a coach.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
It's amazing how this team now for the 2nd year in a row seems to be peaking at the right time for the Big12 tourney and the NCAA's. The meet yesterday was a lot of fun to watch.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
jdoggiv-Is it even possible to get the shoulders down with a spadle. It didn't look like both shoulders touched, but like somebody said, the nu wrestler was just waiting and hoping for the ref to slap the mat. I think that's the first time I've seen it, and I've watched quite a few meets. It was great to see so many Clones wrestle so well, and I think Reader was the better wrestler and should have won his match. We slammed any hopes the fuskers had of making school history at Hilton.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
jdoggiv-Is it even possible to get the shoulders down with a spadle. It didn't look like both shoulders touched, but like somebody said, the nu wrestler was just waiting and hoping for the ref to slap the mat. I think that's the first time I've seen it, and I've watched quite a few meets. It was great to see so many Clones wrestle so well, and I think Reader was the better wrestler and should have won his match. We slammed any hopes the fuskers had of making school history at Hilton.

More often than not, no, you're not going to get a pin with the spladle. However, you get the nearfall points, plus it's really good at making your opponent feel miserable, wishing that you would just pin him. That's not to say you won't get a pin with a spladle, it's just a great way to get into your opponents head, to take him off of his game.

Also, keep in mind it's not necessarily the shoulders that need to be down for the pin, it's the shoulder blades. With the spladle, a lot of times you can't get the shoulder blades on the mat because they'll be on your body instead, and other times it's so close that the ref can't tell. In either case, you're still getting "back points."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron