Congratulations to the following city of Ames employees

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
How long is Oakwood going to be closed? That's one of my get out of town routes for for football.
Oakwood is our get of our town route for football too. My office is in south Ames and live north of Ames. We park at the office and then use Oakwood to get to South Dakota to get around Ames.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I live just south of Oakwood on Green Hills Drive...they have cut our internet cable twice since they started this project. Not sure completion date but they are only on phase one.
They said phase 1 would be done labor day weekend. But then phase 2 would take until winter. So close Oakwood for all of football season.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
They said phase 1 would be done labor day weekend. But then phase 2 would take until winter. So close Oakwood for all of football season.

My son lives on White Oak off Oakwood. Thankfully he can work from home if he chooses. So many zig zags....

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I live in South Ames, and they recently started a construction project near the intersection of University and Airport road. Everything is torn up. I had a conversation with a friend about it when it started. And he said "countdown until they sever something important."

It took about 3 hours before they cut the Metronet fiber...
Next time you see a city truck put a 811( ?) tag on it . Call before you dig.

• Haha
Reactions: wenkeej

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Next time you see a city truck put a 811( ?) tag on it . Call before you dig.

It makes no difference. They very carefully trenched and excavated for a big project near us, then a worker cut the EXPOSED fiber line. Sometimes things just go wrong, and other times… you can’t fix stupid.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I live just south of Oakwood on Green Hills Drive...they have cut our internet cable twice since they started this project. Not sure completion date but they are only on phase one.
My dads experience with large city road projects have had the same thing happen multiple times in the same project. The utility shares the location of their lines, their blue prints if you will. Say CenturyLink plans say their fiber or line is 10 feet deep. At six feet the line is cut. Next time it’s cut at four feet.

Who is at fault?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It makes no difference. They very carefully trenched and excavated for a big project near us, then a worker cut the EXPOSED fiber line. Sometimes things just go wrong, and other times… you can’t fix stupid.
That’s true.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
My dads experience with large city road projects have had the same thing happen multiple times in the same project. The utility shares the location of their lines, their blue prints if you will. Say CenturyLink plans say their fiber or line is 10 feet deep. At six feet the line is cut. Next time it’s cut at four feet.

Who is at fault?
Just because their plans say that, you still have to have utility locates prior to digging anything to comply with the law. And if there is ever any doubt about depth, potholing can take place to find the utility before digging.

That being said, utility companies have some of the worst maps ever. General location and approximate depths are about all they ever have because so little of that ever gets as-built information. Half the time, you're lucky if it's even shown on the right property. Designers do their best to get locates during design, but that process is notoriously a crapshoot.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Just because their plans say that, you still have to have utility locates prior to digging anything to comply with the law. And if there is ever any doubt about depth, potholing can take place to find the utility before digging.

That being said, utility companies have some of the worst maps ever. General location and approximate depths are about all they ever have because so little of that ever gets as-built information. Half the time, you're lucky if it's even shown on the right property. Designers do their best to get locates during design, but that process is notoriously a crapshoot.
Absolutely they come out and locate.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron