Connection Problems

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Does anyone have any suggestions for me about this:

I have been getting "Timed Out" or "Page not found" errors for quite awhile now, and have only been able to get onto the site once in the past week. This started around the time the upgrades to the CF servers happened. When I do get on, it seems that no one else is seeing this, and all other sites I frequent work just fine. I have Qwest DSL if that matters. I am out of touch with Cyclone news, and I am finding that I have too much free time to do chores around the house without the site...please help! Hopefully I will be able to log on to see any suggestions. Email me at [email protected] if you would like to help a fellow Clone.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
dude i have been having the same problems forever.. i am like the king of getting "banned"

anyway i also have quest dsl..so i am starting to wonder if it is there fault...hmmm

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
when it happends, hit start->run->cmd
then type nslookup www.cyclonefanatic.com.

Write that number down and make sure it is:

If it is not that, then quests resolvers are messed up and that is your problem.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
dude i have been having the same problems forever.. i am like the king of getting "banned"

anyway i also have quest dsl..so i am starting to wonder if it is there fault...hmmm

Ok...I know you're joking...yet we're heard the joke about 100 times now. Eventually, other members are going to start buying into it - especially those that are unfamiliar that you are joking.

No, you are not getting banned. You'd know if you were, as the site specifically tells you when you're banned.

As far as the connections issues, it's very hard to troubleshoot unless we know the specific error message.

I think part of the problem could be what brianhos stated. I have a couple ideas of what could fix your problem if it is in fact a local issue and not what brianhos was eluding to.

1. Flush your DNS. Open the command prompt (as brianhos noted) and type in the following... ipconfig /flushdns

Type that exactly as I have it with the space and / in the exact locations.

2. Check your IE settings. Go to Tools>>Internet Options. On the window that pops up, click on Settings. Make sure your setting for "check for newer versions of stored pages" is set to Always or every time I visit the page.

I'd be interested to know if either of these correct the issue.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Sorry for such a delayed response, I've been incredibly busy the past week or two as works heating up due to a special project and we're pretty much remodeling our house.

What ISUFan22 said "should" fix most potential problems but the ISP (Qwest) could also be caching the old IP address and thus causing the problems. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done other than waiting for them to grab the new record.

I hate that this type of thing has to happen but it was very much an unavoidable situation this time as we really needed the bigger server. I can't tell you guys how much the traffic has been increasing since I did some big search engine optimization changes. Our incoming traffic from Google is up 29% by itself in the past week.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am at the library getting my CF fix, since I still can't log on from home. I tried what Brianhos suggested and it said the DNS timed out but gave a "projected" (not sure on the term) number that was the same as what brianhos had in his message.

ISUFan22, I will try your suggestion when I get home. Please feel free to email me with any other suggestions, as I am not able to get any messages or posts through CF. Again, thanks to all!

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am at the library getting my CF fix, since I still can't log on from home. I tried what Brianhos suggested and it said the DNS timed out but gave a "projected" (not sure on the term) number that was the same as what brianhos had in his message.

ISUFan22, I will try your suggestion when I get home. Please feel free to email me with any other suggestions, as I am not able to get any messages or posts through CF. Again, thanks to all!

I am in the same boat. When I switched to Qwest DSL a couple of weeks ago I lost the ability to get to Cyclonefanatic. I rarely access it at home, so no big deal. But, it is VERY annoying.

I'll try the reset suggestions tonight and see if they work...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
When I click on a subject there is a bout a 20 second delay before it opens the page. I don't know if this site does it to everyone but it drives me nuts.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
When I click on a subject there is a bout a 20 second delay before it opens the page. I don't know if this site does it to everyone but it drives me nuts.

I also have been getting a delay and frequently the page will only half load and I have to reload the page once or twice to get the entire thread to load. This has been going on all week.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I also have been getting a delay and frequently the page will only half load and I have to reload the page once or twice to get the entire thread to load. This has been going on all week.

I have the same problems at home (and throw in the "you are forbidden to access this page" error), but only on one computer...my older slower P3 that runs Win2K/IE6 and my ZoneAlarm firewall. The other two (P4's with WinXP/IE7) that sit behind the firewall have no problem. No problems from work with WinXP/IE7.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
FYI...

isucyfan flushed his DNS and seems to be able to access the site normally now.

So, those of you having problems - I recommend giving this a shot and hopefully it will solve your issues.

A while back, before the server move - I was having problems with threads taking a long time to load. Since the move, I haven't had any issues.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
FYI...

isucyfan flushed his DNS and seems to be able to access the site normally now.

So, those of you having problems - I recommend giving this a shot and hopefully it will solve your issues.

A while back, before the server move - I was having problems with threads taking a long time to load. Since the move, I haven't had any issues.

Yes, so far so good...I'm hoping that this has solved the problem and isn't just one of the sporadic times I have been able to access CF.

How in the world have you people gone without my charm, commentary, and razor-sharp wit? :biggrin9gp:

P.S. Special thanks to ISUfan22 for the suggestion that hopefully has solved my problem!!

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
FYI: In Windows Vista, you may get an error message at the command prompt that says "the requested operation requires elevation". If that happens, go to "All Programs", then "Accessories", right click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator". That will allow you to do the DNS flush operation.

Cheers!

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have the same problems at home (and throw in the "you are forbidden to access this page" error), but only on one computer...my older slower P3 that runs Win2K/IE6 and my ZoneAlarm firewall. The other two (P4's with WinXP/IE7) that sit behind the firewall have no problem. No problems from work with WinXP/IE7.

P4, XP and Firefox 2.0.0.3 The half load issue is not constant and probably only raises it's ugly head during peak hours. That said, until last weekend neither of these issues existed for me. I also have accessed the site from both my wife's office computer and from her secretary's computer and neither issue was apparent.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Just an update: I spent a good amount of time online with a Qwest representative that couldn't figure out what may be causing the problem. He pretty much suggested it is on CF's end, as he could access the site fine with his connection. He did suggest the DNS flush, but I had already done that.

I figured that I should let others know this info, in case they were having similar problems. I can connect on one of perhaps every 50 tries, so I thought I better post while I can! (It's like the Lotto minus the cash). Each time I connect, I hope the problem is solved!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Just an update: I spent a good amount of time online with a Qwest representative that couldn't figure out what may be causing the problem. He pretty much suggested it is on CF's end, as he could access the site fine with his connection. He did suggest the DNS flush, but I had already done that.

I figured that I should let others know this info, in case they were having similar problems. I can connect on one of perhaps every 50 tries, so I thought I better post while I can! (It's like the Lotto minus the cash). Each time I connect, I hope the problem is solved!

Typical Qwest customer service (although those 4 words should never go together). Dump it and get a cable modem.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Typical Qwest customer service (although those 4 words should never go together). Dump it and get a cable modem.

You are kidding me? Mediacom cable internet sucks. I've had Qwest for over a year now and only had 1 major outage in that time and no speed issues. Whenever I've called them about something I didn't get a BS answer and got great customer service. Mediacom I got some of the worst customer service outside of probably when I had US Cellular. I'd wait on hold forever then some idiot who had no clue would tell me there were no outages and try to schedule one of these noon-5pm time frames for someone to come out then maybe a few hours later or the next day the internet was back up again. Qwest also costs much less. What is Mediacom up to now $45-$50 a month? I locked in for life at $27 a month. Yeah it's 1.5 MB download but I actually get better speeds when I test it than I did with Mediacom when I had their 6 MB service and I don't notice a difference.