Consistency on offense

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010
It seems like there's a 3-4 series stretch in most games where the offense can do as it pleases and Mangino lives up to the Mangenious name. And the rest of the game is usually no different than last year. Using today as an example, what is the problem? Was WVU just making adjustments that we couldn't respond to? Was it the OL getting dominated? People are throwing Wally under the bus (which I disagree with) but I don't see much better on the offensive side of the ball and there's a lot more talent there.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
Starts with the guy who touches it every play. If you have an average QB, your team will never be better than average. Doesn't have to be flashy, just need a winner.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
We have a decent QB. Not all conference, but he can make the throws and can run when required. Our offense does not have a running game. 92 yards rushing from running backs today. No push up front. We suck in short yardage and it has cost us all year. Sam is really the only running game we have. He's beat up and it shows.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Starts with the guy who touches it every play. If you have an average QB, your team will never be better than average. Doesn't have to be flashy, just need a winner.
I'm sorry you don't understand football and can't see it actually starts in the trenches. It's no surprise ISU scored on 3 straight possessions and in those possessions - the line blocked very well. Opening rushing lanes and allowing time to pass.

Many of the other drives the QB was rushed to throw, forced to roll out quickly, etc. And no threat of a viable rushing attack.

This was a below average day for Sam compared to the rest of the season. But he also has inconsistent blocking and plenty of misses by the receivers.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
We have a decent QB. Not all conference, but he can make the throws and can run when required. Our offense does not have a running game. 92 yards rushing from running backs today. No push up front. We suck in short yardage and it has cost us all year. Sam is really the only running game we have. He's beat up and it shows.

I understand he's decent. And the offensive line doesn't help him at all. But eventually he's just gotta win. 1.5 seasons as a starter I'll give him and he has 0 Big 12 wins.

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010

I should have said in my original post that it's clear that QB is not the problem.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
Look at Manziel. He never had a great offensive line. I understand he had very good receivers around him. And whether you liked him or not, the guy won football games. He was a winner.

I love richardson and I understand how bad the line is. Yes, it needs improved. It would help a lot. But you also just need a winner at QB.

My apologies for chiming in my opinion on a message board. My opinion isn't right so I guess I've never watched football before.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Look at Manziel. He never had a great offensive line. I understand he had very good receivers around him. And whether you liked him or not, the guy won football games. He was a winner.

I love richardson and I understand how bad the line is. Yes, it needs improved. It would help a lot. But you also just need a winner at QB.

My apologies for chiming in my opinion on a message board. My opinion isn't right so I guess I've never watched football before.

So just go out and recruit Heisman-caliber QBs to Ames is what you're saying?

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
So just go out and recruit Heisman-caliber QBs to Ames is what you're saying?

Manziel was a 3 star recruit. He visited Ames. Diamond in the rough I understand, but our evaluation of recruits as a whole has been awful.

Yes Richardson isn't the biggest problem. But he's not as much of an asset as people presume him to be. He's the best QB we have (apparently), on a 2-9 football team. Not saying a ton.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Manziel was a 3 star recruit. He visited Ames. Diamond in the rough I understand, but our evaluation of recruits as a whole has been awful.

Yes Richardson isn't the biggest problem. But he's not as much of an asset as people presume him to be. He's the best QB we have (apparently), on a 2-9 football team. Not saying a ton.
ISU had Seneca Walllace and a good defense. Guess what? Bad offensive line was a huge part of holding those teams back. It was ALL on Seneca. Just like it's ALL on Sam.

Go understand football better and come back later. Ball watching simpletons often don't make sense.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I should have said in my original post that it's clear that QB is not the problem.

its not all on him but he forced 2 throws in scoring situations today when under no pressure, had a delay of game penalty on the first play after a kickoff....not to mention on 2 different occasions was on a completely different page as everyone else on the team. Sammy makes plays and isn't the only issue but he has never really showed he'll take charge of a game and win it for you. The last 2 weeks, the game was there and he didn't come through.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
ISU had Seneca Walllace and a good defense. Guess what? Bad offensive line was a huge part of holding those teams back. It was ALL on Seneca. Just like it's ALL on Sam.

Go understand football better and come back later. Ball watching simpletons often don't make sense.

I never once said it was all on Sam.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I never once said it was all on Sam.
But you basically did.

So yes, you inferred that. And it does not start with the QB. It starts in the trenches. Fact.

And my comment here:

Was referring to the fact the offensive success is ALL on Sam. Just as it was almost ALL on Seneca. Both had/have to make/force plays due to poor blocking and assignments up front. That almost never leads to success.

It didnt in '02 and it certainly didn't here - especially with a much worse team around the QB and a QB that is not Seneca.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
yeah its mind boggling... every game for three to four possessions we cannot be stopped.. then we can't get a first down to save our life the rest of the day. I don't get it.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
yeah its mind boggling... every game for three to four possessions we cannot be stopped.. then we can't get a first down to save our life the rest of the day. I don't get it.

No running game. Can't mix it up.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
In the post-game, Ben Bruns said flat-out that our line play wasn't good enough on either side of the ball. Sam didn't have his best game but our O was limited because our line was limited. Shoot, they got pressure bringing 3. My simple math tells me they have more in coverage than we had running routes. Not a recipe for success.