Cooking a wild turkey

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
No not the booze.

Anything I need to do different, I know they have less white meat so the risk of drying out should be lower

Open to any suggestions on how to prepare, I thought about deep frying it, but I think might mask some flavor opportunities.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
No not the booze.

Anything I need to do different, I know they have less white meat so the risk of drying out should be lower

Open to any suggestions on how to prepare, I thought about deep frying it, but I think might mask some flavor opportunities.

Wild turkeys have less fat so it's actually easier for it to dry out. If you're going to roast it, baste it frequently. Deep frying is actually a really good idea since it will drastically reduce the cooking time which will help avoid a dry bird.

Reactions: fsanford

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Put it in a brine like now. The salt water (plus whatever other seasonings you add) will get pulled into the meat and make it a lot juicier and reduce the drying out risk. We brine and fry ours almost every year. Our brine is salt and sugar, plus some onion powder, garlic powder, peppercorns and I think a little bit of generic Italian seasoning. Look up a general brine recipe to get the salt/sugar/water ratios right. Everything else is just to taste.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Cut the breast into 1/4 inch thick strips and flash fry with a buttermilk breading. This is the only method I've tried where wild Turkey wasn't dry.

Reactions: arobb

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Hellman's mayo and whatever kind of spices you'd like. Then bake in oven

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wait this is a liquor thread? My bad, in that case 30 secs.
PracticalUnhealthyEidolonhelvum-small.gif

Reactions: 2020cy and CyCrazy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Put it in a brine like now. The salt water (plus whatever other seasonings you add) will get pulled into the meat and make it a lot juicier and reduce the drying out risk. We brine and fry ours almost every year. Our brine is salt and sugar, plus some onion powder, garlic powder, peppercorns and I think a little bit of generic Italian seasoning. Look up a general brine recipe to get the salt/sugar/water ratios right. Everything else is just to taste.

This x1,000. Here's a brine recipe I use every year, doesn't fail.

I roast our turkey in the oven at high heat, 425. Cover with foil after first hour when skin is browned. I prefer high heat/lower time, think the longer it's in the oven the more likely it is to dry out. 16-18 lb. turkey only takes 2-3 hours. But I've never cooked a wild turkey.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Cut the breast into 1/4 inch thick strips and flash fry with a buttermilk breading. This is the only method I've tried where wild Turkey wasn't dry.
"Fryin' magic" coating is what I use for this method. Everyone raves about it, including people who are normally hesitant to eat wild game. Don't fry it for too long or it will get really tough.