Corn

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
People used to run pigs with feedlot cattle because they saw what appeared to be whole kernels in the steers' manure. Nutritionist at ISU said there is very little feed value there if the diet is correctly formulated. Pseudorabies put an end to that practice.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Since you basically don't digest corn, is it a viable option for dieting?
You might need the almost hot dog diet instead.
...ingredients included in the new product lineup include bamboo fiber, mushroom, pea protein and acerola cherry, also known as Barbados cherry or West Indian cherry.

• Puke
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I don't know, I don't think a empty cooked kernel skin would hold its shape that well give the additional outside pressure....

"It turns out that your digestive system is doing more work than you think, so don't skip the maize just yet. The yellow kernels in your poo are really just the corn kernel's outer coating, according to Andrea Watson, a ruminant nutritionist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Corn kernels are seeds carrying precious genetic material. The key to the seed's survival is the waxy, yellow outer coating that protects the genetic material from weather, pests and transport. The fact that it's hard to break down is actually ideal for the plant. The outer coating owes its resilience to a tough fiber called cellulose, which humans don't have the proper enzymes or gut bacteria to digest."

Reactions: WISCY1895

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don't know, I don't think an empty cooked kernel skin would hold its shape that well give the additional outside pressure....
Nope, he’s right. Nothing is wrong with corn in the diet, it’s just most people don’t eat just corn. They usually add a bunch of high fat foods to it to enhance the taste. Similar to the potato, nothing wrong with the food itself it’s what’s added and how it’s prepared that make it not a particularly healthy choice.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
This might be funny for some but when you work with dairy nutritionists they will actually look at the manure to make sure there isn’t a lot of whole corn passing through the animal because it means they aren’t maximizing their nutritional intake.
A less gross way is to take a gas station plastic cup and scoop a pile of corn silage and count the whole kernels to make recommendations to the processor that is built on the silage chopper to crumble up the kernels better.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
@CoachHines3

1651774268533-png.98565

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Corn 101: A Complete Guide​

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
We are talking sweet corn or field corn? I had a customer that planted crows hybrid high lysine field corn. His wife would put it in a food processor and make cornbread out of it. Wide flat kernels and soft shell. I didn't sell him as much lysine as most of my customers. We tested the corn monthly for nutritional content. Sweet corn if boiled has a middle of the road rating on the glysemic index. So my rational is put lots of real butter on it. The fat slows down carb absorbtion. and your body burns calories from fat first. I was told this and choose to believe it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
On RAGBRAI I would often mutter (audibly) to myself while leaving a Kybo, "Corn? I don't remember eating corn." just to see if the next person was brave enough to go into the Kybo I just vacated. You know, for science. The later in the day it was the more brave the next person was.