Cornell Mann got a head coaching job

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Grand Rapids is a nice city.

I used to live in the western outskirts of that area for a few months a number of years ago. It is a nice city and a nice area. I even went to a few games at GVSU; good sized school for being DII. I used to know Cornell a bit personally when he was an assistant coach at Central Michigan University. He knows the state well.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I used to live in the western outskirts of that area for a few months a number of years ago. It is a nice city and a nice area. I even went to a few games at GVSU; good sized school for being DII. I used to know Cornell a bit personally when he was an assistant coach at Central Michigan University. He knows the stat well.

He was main recruiter of Monte, is that correct?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I used to live in the western outskirts of that area for a few months a number of years ago. It is a nice city and a nice area. I even went to a few games at GVSU; good sized school for being DII. I used to know Cornell a bit personally when he was an assistant coach at Central Michigan University. He knows the stat well.

Definitely has good anchor - coaching stints at Central. Western and Oakland.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pretty decent sized school.
Brian Kelly coached football there for a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: Snydes

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
He was main recruiter of Monte, is that correct?
  • Helped recruit, mentor and develop eight NBA draftees from four different programs in his career.
    • Mizzou: Michael Porter, Jr.
    • Iowa State: Monte Morris, Abdel Nader, Georges Niang, Royce White
    • Dayton: Chris Johnson, Chris Wright
    • Central Michigan: Chris Kaman
  • Coached six All-Americans (Monte Morris, two-time winner Georges Niang, Royce White, Melvin Ejim and DeAndre Kane)
  • Lead recruiter for Miami Heat star Kendrick Nunn at Oakland.
  • Recruited, coached and developed Western Michigan's David Kool, the all-time leading scorer in Mid-American Conference history.

----------------------------------
Congrats Coach Mann.

Unsure about "main" recruiter.

Perhaps Prohm should have kept him on staff. I realize you need your own people and can't remember how that all went down in 2015 or so.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
  • Helped recruit, mentor and develop eight NBA draftees from four different programs in his career.
    • Mizzou: Michael Porter, Jr.
    • Iowa State: Monte Morris, Abdel Nader, Georges Niang, Royce White
    • Dayton: Chris Johnson, Chris Wright
    • Central Michigan: Chris Kaman
  • Coached six All-Americans (Monte Morris, two-time winner Georges Niang, Royce White, Melvin Ejim and DeAndre Kane)
  • Lead recruiter for Miami Heat star Kendrick Nunn at Oakland.
  • Recruited, coached and developed Western Michigan's David Kool, the all-time leading scorer in Mid-American Conference history.

----------------------------------
Congrats Coach Mann.

Unsure about "main" recruiter.

Perhaps Prohm should have kept him on staff. I realize you need your own people and can't remember how that all went down in 2015 or so.

If he truly was the difference maker with Monte, Abdel, Georges, and Royce he probably should have been retained.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If he truly was the difference maker with Monte, Abdel, Georges, and Royce he probably should have been retained.

I mean, Michael Porter Jr. committed to Mizzou once his dad was hired, so I’d take those bullet points with a grain of salt.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneNorth

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I mean, Michael Porter Jr. committed to Mizzou once his dad was hired, so I’d take those bullet points with a grain of salt.
Yes. Michael Porter Sr. and probably some pre-NIL under-the-table groceries were most likely the main recruiter for Michael.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Ric had a nice 18 year run at Grand Valley and decided it was time to move on. Not sure what his plans are, but he's fortunate to be one of the few college coaches who gets to leave on his own terms.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
He will need to record a follow up to his I State rap song, now about GV State.