Cornhole/Bags set

MSPClone210

Jul 8, 2013
Minneapolis
When you say "perimeter" are you talking the paint around the sides of the boards, or the border that runs around the top of the board?

This was my process:
1. Stain everything - top, sides, undersides, everything. (Though fewer coats on the underside.)
2. Tape everything in preparation for painting the sides and borders on top.
3. Stain the top again. This way if anything is going to bleed through my tape, it would be stain rather than paint and won't be visible. Wait to dry.
4. Paint sides and borders. Wait to dry.
5. Apply decal.
6. Apply poly. Lots of layers, like as many as 6-8. Wait for each new layer to dry, obviously, though it dries quickly. They say you can use a fine sandpaper after a few layers but I never did.

Got the boards all sanded and stained last night! Had one last question, should I plan on laying down any primer before I apply the paint to both sides and top? Or should I just plan on tapping off, and laying the last coat of stain down... Let me know! Thanks

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Got the boards all sanded and stained last night! Had one last question, should I plan on laying down any primer before I apply the paint to both sides and top? Or should I just plan on tapping off, and laying the last coat of stain down... Let me know! Thanks

You mean primer for the paint? I didn't use any. It took a few coats of paint, so you'll want to repeat step #4 as many times as it takes for you to be satisfied with the color.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I finished this set in 2010. The design was modeled after the ones in the OP with some modifications. About two months after I finished them the athletic department modified its "secondary" logo, meaning the punching Cy that had been modified when the I-State logo was introduced was out. So now as an added bonus, my boards have the benefit of being retro.

I admire people's dedication who want to hand-paint their logos, but if you want decals there's an ISU alum who does them at a very reasonable price. I've worked with him on a couple of projects and everything has turned out great. The decals stick really well and with multiple layers of polycrylic slathered on they will be solid for years.

For decals, email: [email protected]

is it like a die cut where it's cut out around the logo?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
is it like a die cut where it's cut out around the logo?

Yes, it is cut around the logo. The decal has paper on both sides. Peel off the back side, place and affix the decal securely, then pull off the front side of paper.

And to answer your question about where to buy boards, you could look here. I've bought bags from here a few times and been happy. I can't speak to their boards. But do a little snooping around online and you'll find some easily.

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
A long time ago another fanatic PM'd me for instructions on how I made these, and this is what I sent. I hope it helps.

1 Stained top board with Minwax Polyshades - 2 coats
2 Screwed and glued top board to frame
3 Filled in gaps and screw holes with wood putty and sanded
4 Laid down Frog Tape on top board to create the inside edge of the boarder - Frog tape is a brand name that makes lines particularly crisp. You can google them for more detail.
5 Applied 2 coats of water based primer on top board border and frame - Frog tape works with water based products not oil based
6 Applied 2 coats of Red Latex to top board border area (Frog tape is still on protecting the inside edge of the border
7 Laid down Frog tape down the middle of the top board border and painted border area Yellow with enough coats to cover. (Later when tape is removed it will expose the Red stripe underneath with Yellow stripes on each side.)
8 Laid down Frog tape on outside edge of top board so that sides can be painted without accidentally brushing paint onto the top board
9 Painted sides with 2 coats of Red Latex
10 Laid down Frog tape about 1/4" from bottom of frame and painted stripe area Yellow to create the bottom stripe.
11 Remove all the tape and you should have your stripes.
12 Dust/clean areas where you will apply decals and apply
13 Coat with Polycrylic - I was afraid brushing would peel up corners of decals, so I used aerosol to spray a couple coats over the decals until they were protected, then brushed on 3 coats of Polycrylic over the entire boards. I did this because the brush on seems to dry with a smoother surface than the spray.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Does anyone know if any sports stores sell just the bags. I completely forgot about us needing new bags and obviously running out of time. I have checked craigslist and haven't found any on there. Or does anybody know someone in the Cedar Rapids/Ames area that makes and sells these.